1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tears and Warning Bells Again - The Freedom Song

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Nov 14, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

It's from your heart Preethi!

Dear Preethi,
    The last two posts were just a critical analysis of the story and I could give a strong reply, rebut your presumptions and could even bulldoze my views. But this post you have written from your heart. Your losing your father when you were pretty young, being brought up by a single parent, seeing with your own eyes the sacrifice involved in that, and finally that your father's name was also Jeyaraman...... I am moved. I dont want to give a word by word reply but a general response. And this reply is not to correct your errors for a loving heart could never err; this is just to say that in the depths of your parental love you are not able to see some small points which I want to bring to your notice. At the outset I must say hats off to you on your love for your parents. Your mother should be a really blessed woman to receive such love from her daughter.

Point 1: Yes Malathy's Dad had some justification for his actions. What he was deprived of, he wanted to get through his daughter vicariously. But I tell you Preethi even the most hardened criminal has some justificaiton or other. Even the most cruel psychopaths have a justification. In fact they turn into psychopaths because of that reason. But that does not justify Jeyaraman's actions towards Malathi. From Malathi's point of view - justification or no justification - what Jeyaraman did was wrong. That is why Malathi says towards the end, that she was not going to repeat the same mistake. Of forcing her desires on her child. I planted the idea of justification only to understand that character better. What he did was still wrong. Recently when a very popular actor died in Bangalore, his fans went on rampage setting fire to vehicles and all. After all the actor died a natural death. But even then his fans could not contain their rage. Technically they had a justification; but we cannot absolve them of their wrongs. When Indra Gandhi was assassinated, there were riots that followed it in which a number of Sikhs were killed and their houses and shops, plundered. Technically they had a justification. Because a Sikh had murdered their leader they are killing all the Sikhs, and robbing them. Are they right? If they are, then Jeyaraman is also right.

Point 2: As you have rightly pointed out certain mindsets formed in the early age would never change. That was the case with Jeyaraman. And you can't change his mind with soft arguments, reasoning etc. He has to be jolted out of his present way of thinking. And nothing could do that better than Malathi quitting him and going afar.

Point 3: It was only for your sake (and the sake of a few other 'Papa's girls') that I extended the story and gave a fairty-tale ending. Look for that in one of my replies in this thread.

Thanks a lot Preethi. You made this thread (and the last) very lively.

regards,
    Varalotti

2. varalotti

Time To Relax Ladies!

Most Gracious ILites,
    You have laboured hard to reply to my post, to listen to my arguments and then place your counter-arguments.
    This week it's "shakthi poojai". Just sit back and relax. Read my thread in Saturdays With Varalotti which pays tribute to womanhood.
    thanks once again for the participation.
    regards,
    sridhar

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Am overwhelmed!

Dear Sridhar,

Sorry that I am so late in reading this Wednesday's contribution from you. It is 1am here , Friday. But I could only manage to get to the computer now to read your thread as we have guests at home and that leaves very little time for IL'iting!
    I went through your story and could not stop with that and read the whole thread. What can I say! I am overwhelmed with the responses of my IL friends and your answers to them. I have 'raced' through the thread and my head is still reeling with all the posts. What struck me most is that we are 'one big thinking community'!
    There is no point in my adding anything to this thread at this stage as my friends have said almost everything there is to say about this 'Freedom Song' penned by you. Your first English story has been analysed and dissected to the limits possible! A very concise review has also been done by our Chitvish. My saying anything more on this will only be repition. All I can say is I missed a hot thread. But I enjoyed reading it immensely.
    I take the liberty all the same to add a few words about your story. Your inimitable writing style and the urgency of morality that underlies all your stories are obvious even in this first English story of yours. The story manifests your very strong feeling about not wanting to harass or force your offspring with your own ambitions and the importance of personal freedom to decide one's own fate. A very commendable thought indeed. It is a must read for every parent and even every young person. The protagonist's desire to free herself from her father's clutches is understandable, if not agreeable to many of us. I see that you are vehemently supporting your heroine's action ( actually, your own thoughts!), but that is your prerogative. We can all agree to disagree! And you quoted the famous Gibran's lines in one of your posts. If only we can remember all those important life's guidelines at the right times, ah, wouldn't we be all model human beings! Alas, its never so and then we have our Jayaramans and Malathis. I shall take your postscript ending for true and retire in peace:)
    As for the 'Pal Chembu' suggestion...ha ha ha Chitra. Nice one, good one, as a matter of fact, excellent one! I myself have seen that only in movies!! How about giving guidelines on all those matchmaking websites..you may use the name ChitWish there, all the gals would wish it!

L, Kamla

PS: I note that you have already started another thread Sridhar, I am unable to keep up with your writing prowess:)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Discipline is dangerous

Hello Sridhar,

Your story reminds me of one of my uncle who used to say, Discipline is Dangerous. I'm still wondering if it's true but not able to deny it tooo.

Malathy may sound rude when she goes to the extend of talking about her Father's death so causually but I feel she's just venting out all her helplessness. I don't think she carries so much venom in her heart. Her Dad must be suffocating her to the core that she just wants to break-free. She needs a little space that every individual needs as they grow old & a little freedom that every adult rightfully deserves. Till now, her life has been monotonous & I'm sure nobody would such a dull life forever.

Its hightime the father & daughter move apart ( surely with a valid reason) so, the Dad would have time to realise his mistakes. Now, Malathy shld gain some guts & face her Father to explain her future plans. Malathy shld be given a chance to do what she wants & that will bring in a sort of balalce to her otherwise lopsided life. If malathy's Mother was around, I'm sure her life wouldn't have been so miserable. She was looking for some rope to help her get away & Sethu seem to have provided that much needed rope of hope.

God knows, in future, Malathy might get bored of being a housewife & might even start off with her singing all over again.

We all learn one strong point from this story - can't force our ambitions & dreams onto our kids, unless they show some inclination towards it. Just forcing & thrusting ambitions on children will only weigh them down.

Another beautiful story with a strong moral.

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

Enjoyed reading this thread.....i just sat back and enjoyed all the arguments and counter arguments....you gals and guy have taken the character of Malathy and father to pieces....
    i just wanted to add that if you are a parent you tend to live your long lost dreams through children...and of course the children most of the time feel frustrated that they are forced to live some one else's dream! But i can honestly say that the children when they are young and getting moulded , like in this case, as a singer don't realise at that point! Malathy wants an out from this situation only when it has got to be too much (she cant have an ice cream as she pleases) ....but what about her TALENT....i am sure if she did not have that talent to sing , she would not have been a star singer , whatever the father did....and i am sure that after the initial euphoria of the free life is over, she will long to go back to singing and the stardom.....(well all this from personal experience! :oops: ...that s why i did not comment till now....)

regards, sudha

PS: I thoroughly enjoyed the PS and the interesting thoughts behind it , which kept the main thread also moving! I used this PS concept in my "love letters" to hubby before marriage....so strong connection with PS, which were longer than the mails!ha ha!
    And i wonder if any "girl" is going to carry "pal Chombu" in this modern era!8)

6. varalotti

I owe you one, Kamla!

Dear Kamla,

It is very kind of you to have spared enough time to read a long story and then post an inspiring comment. With guests and relatives around you should have found it really hard to read and post your views. Thanks is not the word.

As you are overwhelmed, so am I, Kamla by the ILites responses. Before those reponses I feel I am a student who has a lot to learn.

And while on this I request you to go to the other thread also for it is my way of paying tribute to the women in my life and the whole womanhood.

Thanks for the soft, nice words without which this thread would not have been complete.
    L,
    sridhar

PS: Regarding the "pal chombu" matter even if you 1700 ladies join against me in the lingerie and negligee congress (LNC), I would stick to my guns in the PC party.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Ahem ahem...

Sridharji.......Who ever said that PC cannot be delivered by the LNC gang??!!:confused: First of all, attend to the needs of the LNC and the rest will come, no hassles there. I guess now you have to wait till the Sashtiyabdhapoorthi to try the trick:-D

L, Kamla

8. varalotti

Should I wait so long, Kamlaji?

Dear Kamlaji,
    my shastiabdapurthi is some 32 years away. A really loooooooooong time to wait. (Sorry, Meena, I am using your copyrighted expression)
    The discussion started because the leader of the LNC gang told who carries PC these days. So I thought LNC is averse to PC.
    But I am a staunch supporter of PC.
    Incidentally PC and LNC do not go together. It would be like making K.B.Sundarambal sing a playback for Nayanthara! ha ha ha

One thing is sure, Madam. If there is one person available for some serious talking there are 100 available for the LNC PC debate. Naughty world!
    sridhar

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

We shoulr replace PC with CC!

Yes lets do away with the PC, after all pal puts you to sleep. I vote that we transfer to Coffee chombu ( we need all the caffiene to stay awake all night right!!!:oops: ) and LN will do the rest:oops:

Vandhana

10. varalotti

Do we need it, Madam?

If we need a CC and LNC to stay awake during that night, then God save us! I think I can stay awake even after taking a couple of sleeping pills on that night. We need coffee chombu for staying awake to prepare for our exams.
    But for this night nothing is needed, I underline the word nothing, nothing including L or N is needed.
    I dont want to sign this post.