1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teaching toddlers basics

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by polymorphic, Mar 6, 2012.

1. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

I have a 2.5 yr old. She is talking well, has good vocabulary and is learning. But do you know how to increase her learning. I do spend time with her reading books and she goes to playschool here in US. But as u would be knowing, here they do not force them to learn so it up to parents to take initiative and direct them. I am also wondering what the enrollment procedure in schools in US is as compared to Indian school. Even in India, the interview procedure has become very tough. So please tell me how to prepare them for such interviews. I used to be of the opinion that kids should learn in their own pace but the schooling and admission system is not like that. What are the things they are tested on? How to encourage learning? Both US and Indian school admissions? Pls put in your experiences.

2. dvl

dvl Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I stay in Bangalore. I cannot say anything about schools in US. In India it is true that some schools make the admission process a nightmare. But there are still a lot of schools who take it easy. My son is studying in a Montessori school. They do not force him to do anything. He is learning out of his own interest. He will be 5 soon & I have seen a very good improvement in his learning process since the past 1 year. NO worries ! Just take it easy :)

rgds
    Vidhya

1 person likes this.
  3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Get books from the library and read to her
    Point out words in the environment (on billboards, signs, names on different food cartons and packages...)
    Point out numbers in the environment
    Countoutwhen you set the table...we need three plates....there is one more chair. But no one is sitting there...
    Identify patterns in the environment...look that crosswalk has black-white-black white stripes...this pasta has triangle -circle-triangle pattern...
    Use comparatives in your every day language...this chair is for the youngest person in the house...let's put the biggest box under the bed...
    Describe describe describe..make your language purposeful
    Cook with your child...
    Play with your child

She will be ready on her own:)

2 people like this.
  4. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Hi Poly,

My neice got admission in Ryan International. They did had interview but selected all kids irrespective of their performace in interview. So take chill many good schools just take interview as formality.

1 person likes this.
  5. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Thats great. I am actually more scared of Indian school admissions than here. Not sure if we have to shift back or not. Yeah, Ryan is just walking disctance from my home in india. SO thats good news :) thanks omnam.

6. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Anytime Poly.