Tamil Nadu is leading in divorce cases!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 16, 2012.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

People of Tamil Nadu are considered as conservative by people living in other states. But according to statistics they are the ones leading in divorce cases. Why this divorce very (வெறி) is taking place? Is it due to cultural degradation? We are the people who are boasting about our culture.

Do parents are forcing their wards for arranged marriages and so there is no compatibility between the couples?
    But according to the statistics even love marriages also break down for non- compatibility.

It seems when people are in love they do not find any incompatibility. Only after getting married and start living together they realize the incompatibility.

Intolerance, no compromise, no flexibility and egoistic mentality seems to be the reason for the fall out. I believe the reason for these shortcomings is due to late marriage. That's why our elders preferred to perform the marriages of daughters early, so that they will adapt to the new family environment. Though nowadays couples prefer nucleus family, still they find it difficult to adjust among themselves.

The children are the ones who are seriously affected if the couples opt for divorce. Even the parents of the couples are also greatly affected. Though family courts are dealing with divorce cases and trying their level best by counselling the couples the situation is becoming from bad to worse.

What is your take on this matter?

2. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Thoughtful observation. There should be a survey organised on this.

Truely. This process should be stopped before the people become 'used to' such news.

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Marriage is not viewed as a long term commitment nowadays and people [both sides] are not willing to adjust anything for the sake of keeping it Madam. Heavy post. Thanks. -rgs

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Anu,
    We old timers really feel very sad seeing this kind of situation.
    As for the saying 'Marriages are made in heaven,' and now 'divorces are made in court.'
    People have already become used to this and they just move on without taking any corrective activity.
    Thanks for joining me in expressing your anguish,
    Love,
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear rgs,
    There was a time when marriage was considered as 'Ayiram kaalathu payir.'
    Some time back I read in a newspaper that couples are signing marriage contract before tying the knot. I do not know how far it is true and if it is legally valid in our country.
    We in India deem marriage sacrosanct. But now it is fast changing and marriage is for convenience. If it doesn't suit the couple at any time they can think of separation.
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your fb,
    Love,
    PS

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think individualistic mindset has increased. Accessibility has also increased. In earlier days people did not have that much access to information regarding divorces. But now information is readily available. Also in the earlier years people used to be in the marriage life owing o the fear of what the society would think about them. The fear of being alone aw also there. But now there are support groups in terms of friends, office colleagues etc. the earning power has also diminished the fear of being alone.

On a positive note people are able to come out of abusive marriages. Society may not understand. But the individual would sure be thankful.

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Ramya,
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your views.
    Education and financial independence plays a major role in the current scenario. There was a time when the groom's side used to put conditions before marriage. But now girls themselves are putting conditions and the parents are supporting them. Boy's parents are finding it difficult to find a suitable match and the boy/girl ratio is also diminishing and posing a major threat.
    As you say the law is providing a means to free from the clutches of an abusive marriage, but I am afraid that sometimes the law is also misused.
    Love,
    PS

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I agree that girls are now coming up with lots of conditions. More than conditions, I think we should call them expectations. But what people don't realize is married life is completely different. Expectations change after marriage.

Yes. The law is being misused.

9. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

The realistic post about today's happenings.

I think, But there are many layers to this issues than just saying the divorces are increasing. As Said by RGS & others, people are not looking at marriage as long term bonding.

And I feel, todays' generation feel more as trap than bonding. (This i read in one story in Fiction forum today and I agree to that.) Our generation has more fears than dreams coming to the aspect of marriage (Not only girls but guys too).

And it was okay for generations when groom's side used to comeup with conditions & tantrums..But when the same thing comes from a girl, guys are not ready to accepy.

(here 'm not supporting bride / groom on coming up with unrealistic conditions & expectations.)

And the most important point is, our generation is not ready to take abuses / emotionally draining marriages thinking that pati dev will understand the sacrifices made by the wife at the end. Girl's view points and the societal norms are changing gradually. But not to the extent of fair observation. Even date Divorcee women are being judged.

And with increasing liberty & awareness, some girls/ women are really misusing the freedom.

To conclude this, I can say only one thing.. The importance of marriage is for companionship.. it needs lot of adjustments / sacrifices on on both parties and respect, belief & trust. And a lot depends on each one's attitude and outlook. (We certainly cannot say it as result of upbringing... though upbringing has lot of impact..but lot of other factors also needs to be considered)

I feel, i'm going out the track.. will stop this here....

-Pallavi.

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Ramya,
    Reasonable expectations are mostly fulfilled. When expectations change after marriage, and if they are unrealistic, it causes friction. Nowadays even stay at home girls expectations also has increased in manifold..
    Love,
    PS