1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Taking pledge

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by skavi, Jan 8, 2009.

1. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

After reading so many posts, my heart is just keeping on asking me "To Born as girl is a sin"?

our parents raised us so well and treated us like princess but for some in their in laws place they are treated as burden ..my question is why...

My point is, now we are adults and we need to speak up...we need to show world that to be born as a girl is not a sin...if we can't fight for us then who will...i want all my generation girls to stand up for their rights, come on its high time...may be we can start small change in our life's that will be a great deed for coming generations..

In USA ,still i see in my age group parties, people talk boys babies means money and girl babies means trouble..i will have tears when they say like that and that too being girls and mothers...i fight with them every time and they all treat me different...they even say that we started saving money for dowry ...but my question is being in this generation Are we not supposed to say NO to dowry?

me being a mother of a son and daughter, i took pledge that i will never ever give dowry or take dowry...

Are there any other people who can support me in this pledge, i just want to see how many people are thinking like me...because where i stay they are none...so IL is the only hope to reach millions...

Skavi
    (i may not expressed very clearly but i hope you can understand the point)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi skavi

Kudos for this thread and your pledge.

If we all, women of this generation take a similar pledge...definitely there will be no dowry in future. I believe that changes will not happen overnight but however slow it is sure to happen. (Don't you think it already has begun, except in few marriages where they demand money and all?)

3. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

thanks Abhising for steeping in

I also agree this kind of thing starts slow, my view is also to start with my inner circle..and then go beyond....i tired with my friends here,but they don't agree with me they are ready to offer dowry and they say without dowry , we can't get a good guy...i fought and fought but i couldn't change them...may be i thought , if i raise this topic here...i will get some like minded people support and we can continue this pledge..

no Abhising, dowry is still there in most marriages, may be less in Love marriages but it still there....iam seeing newly married people still cry that they have given dowry to their husbands ...

i just want as young parents,if we decide we won't take or give dowry, may be slow but it will create awareness among others and may be my wish will come true after 10-15 yrs that there will be no more dowry deaths or dowry harassments.....

thanks again
    Skavi

4. Harini28

Harini28 Senior IL'ite

Skavi,
    first of all let me salute u for ur initiation to start this thread.:bowdown

Yes i agree with ya, there r many families in our society who still believe that a girl, when born, is a burden for dowry.. In some areas of our country, no matter howmuch ever a family is educated, they still believe in dowry system, be in taking or giving.... not only the dowry issue, a girl in our country is bound to sacrifice her everything when she steps into her husband's family. The effort and sacrifices made by the girl's parents are all thrown to winds once for all in the name of marriage.. Her life (in some cases) becomes miserable as if she is a non-paid maid in the house who needs to tolerate each and every atrocity. Always she is bound to play and fulfil her so called 'responsibilities' towards her husband and inlaws, but set aside her rights which blame a girl to be an arrogant in the society, if used..I dont say that all the girls are same post marriage..There are some women who are lucky enough to lead the same life after marriage too...

World is changing and we too need to change ourselves..Change should come within the person. One should follow "Live and let live" policy.. I believe this life is short..So what ever we r in this world will all be over when once we r dead..So why trouble ourselves and trouble others within this time? Ok, yes, if a girl is married, she ofcourse should see wht all can be done to make her marital life and other families around her 'HAPPY'...but surely not being a coward and timid woman... For this we dont even need to be highly educated or have any of our family support...
    We are the architects of our own lives..So when we happy-enjoy it, when we have trouble in life-take necessary measurements to make it good, when it is totally out of the hands -live it to god and carry on with the life...Our parents pour in so much of money to help build our careers.. It is best useful for us when we are all alone left in the pool of problems to rebuild our confidence.. Ofcourse, we are wives and DIL's, but before that we are human beings with many aspirations and ambitions to achieve in life..

My word with all the ladies here who have been 'genuinely' troubled by their husbands and in-law's is, " Fight off against the problem u face with a brave heart. Our patience should not be taken for granted. But this does'nt mean that we always need to have a big mouth to keep such people aloof from us. Live and let live others happily, but when with no fault , u r blamed and put at loss, dont let anyone take charge of ur life...."

Hope i put down whatever i felt genuinely...
    Wish u all a wonderful time ahead
    Take care of urselves...

5. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Harini for pouring in your thoughts and your support...

Harini, you have written so good, i felt so nice after reading your post bec i couldn't express my feeling so well but thanks to you, you did write what i had in my mind...your mesage is cut and clear...hope it will reach other IL friends...

And Congratulations on your pregnancy...always keep smiling and All The Best For Your Future...

Skavi

6. Harini28

Harini28 Senior IL'ite

And Congratulations on your pregnancy...always keep smiling and All The Best For Your Future...

Skavi[/quote]

Thanks for ur wishes sweetie...:)

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I do not feel I could be anything better than what I am . I am proud to be a girl. I do not have kids yet. But I will be delighted if I have girls. Slightly more than having a son. But there are no boys in our family so thats the only reason I would want a son. Although I will love him as much as a daughter.
    I will definitely not take or give dowry.I will also have my son move out when he turns 25 and live his own independent life.We need to move from our old school thoughts and it can only be done one person/one family at a time. Then why not me.

8. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

Hi Chocolate,
    Thanks for joining me and supporting me...

I read your threads long back and i know how bravely you saved your marriage...you are the perfect example to girls as they should be as strong as they need to be when some thing bad comes upon them...

and you are right that we need to bring out new changes and leave old school thoughts...

thanks once again and may god bless you with all the happiness...

Skavi

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Skavi. We all have braved some or the other things in our marriages. I do not want to put my kids or their spouses in same position as I was in.Education and the culture we give to our kids shud only make them a well rounded person and not take back to convenient and easy money as dowry just becoz its a custom followed thru generations.

Wishing you too all the happiness .

10. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hi Skavi,

Stand strong against the people you know who still see dowry as "ok." Even where I live too there are people like that... I stay away from them because I think dowry is no small issue. When I hear that a family has taken dowry or tons of "gifts" from brides side I lose all my respect for them. It's ironic that so many Indian families are obsessed with family honor and respect and then go ahead and take dowry. What do they think, people will still respect them after that??? :crazy Maybe people with same mindset, but definitely not those of us who are living in 21st century.

Yes definitely I take this pledge!