1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Taekwondo class for 5 yr old

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by advitha, Jul 22, 2009.

1. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I'm planning to enroll my daughter (5 1/2) in Karate or Taekwondo class but still contemplating which one to go with. Any recommendation for parents? Did you see any change in your kid's attitude/behavior after going to karate or taekwondo class?

-Uma

2. eagle

eagle Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter who is 5 yrs old is going to taekwondo class. She loves it. Any martial arts class is good for kids 5 and above. It will help them focus better and teach more self discipline. Also help them to be strong if they face any bullies in school.

Good luck
    Shobana

3. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Thanks Shobana. I was anyway seriously considering to send her to karate or taekwondo this year. Even I have been reading a lot about self-discipline and focus. Let me wait and see.

-Uma

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thanks for this thread. My son is a very active kid (4 yrs old) and simply cannot focus on one thing (i'm the same too... genes!). His teacher was telling me that martial arts would be very good for him to expend energy and also train on self-discipline, concentration. Have to start looking out for classes.

Latha

5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi Latha,

Thanks for visiting here. Yes I have heard lot about taekwondo. It helps to increase the attention span for kids. Infact I have enrolled my daughter yesterday and today is her first class with the grand master. Let me hope that she likes it.

BTW, does anyone know if shouting in taekwondo/karate affects one's vocal chord. I want her to learn carnatic music also. Any inputs?

-Uma

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Uma

My daughter learnt karate and carnatic vocal simultaneously..nothing happened..

I would definitely say, that learning self defence is a must, she has done upto purple belt..left a little short before the brown belt..and could not continue after relocating to chennai.

Concentration is good and also discipline. your stamina increases. your reflexes become sharper...

7. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Thank you shanthi for stepping in. Definitely its a must in the current school culture.

Mine's is more of an introvert and she doesn't have a sharp reflux. So my decision is correct.

BTW, what age did you enroll your daughter in carnatic music (sorry...dragging out of the discussion) ?

-Uma

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Uma,

She started learning at 6 but in between we had some breaks for want of good teachers and moving around. now she is 13+ and has come to ada thana varnams along with krithis...

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Just thought would update this thread. My DD attended the first private class with the Grand Master.

She was nervous at the beginning but once she started to do what he was teaching, she felt much confident. She got applauded my her master. This is a trial program. She has 2 more group classes to go and by next week I need to decide.

BTW, the master mentioned a fee of $150 per month with 2 classes a week. Is this a reasonable fee? What's the nominal fee for kids karate.

-Uma

10. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot Shanthi. I'm planning to start her by next year (6 1/2). Hope I can continue her without any issues.

-Uma