1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Symphony

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

When we think of our life, each one of us are like a musical instruments whose duty is to perform to a song as composed by the Director of music. The Lord creates the seven swaras in the form of seven chakras inside of each one of us like we find all the Swaras in each musical instrument. Some of us have a naturally special affinity to certain swaras while others have different interest. He packages each musical instrument with special capabilities but all of them need to synchronize into what is defined by the composer. All lives in the world together are nothing but a set of musical instruments in a great symphony, the Director/Composer being the Lord of the Universe.

Each one of us have a responsibility to work hard to understand the musical instrument well after carefully reviewing the nuances of each musical instrument and understand the tune well. Our role is to play our instrument carefully and correct our mistakes instead of pointing fingers to other musical instruments around us. Like the tune that is already composed by the conductor/composer, our life’s purpose is already predetermined. Within the barometers of the tune, we are free to function with our own improvisations which we call as free will. Our duty is to identify the tune and begin putting our performance together to execute the tune in a melodious way that is appreciated not only the by the conductor/composer but also by the audience. Getting the hang of the tune could happen in a heartbeat because of the experience and each person’s ability to build capabilities or it could take the entire life time to figure out the tune and synchronize. But once we find the tune, we have to stick to it and develop our skills to encrypt that tune indelibly in our heart.

Apparently, the tune doesn’t come with a detailed execution plan and it is left to the imagination of each individual. When we develop our skills to play our musical instruments, we might face some severe obstacles which means our musical instrument is not played in harmony with other musical instruments in the symphony. That is why tuning the instrument well with control of mind and senses is important. Once we do that well, discipline and character needed to perform a tune will automatically come. Our vision of the tune, listening skills, tuning of the instrument and our fingers, etc. play an extraordinary role in aligning our musical instrument to the tune. We might have some wrong assumptions about the tune which should be eliminated through deep inquiry and we should be ready to pick up the great qualities we find in other musical instruments. All these efforts help us to align the instrument with the symphony.

Most importantly, we need to construct our ability to play the instrument without resisting the natural affinity towards certain tunes. We should play them as resisting only results in longing for it. We should saturate that interest by playing such tunes on our own in order to be able to perform the tunes that are performed to the satisfaction of the conductor/composer to please the audience. Each musical instrument has its own unique qualities of strengths and weaknesses and each one of us while recognizing them should also be understanding the similar qualities in other musical instruments. All the musical instruments together is called orchestra but orchestra becomes a symphony only when all of them are played in alignment with each other to achieve one tune.

Each one of us are gifted with the energy needed to perform the instrument to the tune of the composer. But how we intent to perform is entirely left to each one of us. It is our choice whether we would like to be part of the symphony accepting a role of one of many instruments or play alone without experiencing the joy of playing as part of the symphony. When we prepare ourselves to play as part of the symphony and help each other to be part of the symphony, the conductor/composer helps each one of us to be together in harmony with each other. If we make one right step, the conductor/composer makes several steps to make it work. Let us understand that the musical instruments could be many but the conductor is one. Similarly, each instrument may look different but all of them have the same swaras inside of them that are capable of creating one tune.

5 people like this.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

What can I say sir? For once understood the symphony orchestra to the ability of my knowledge. I love music. That's the language of the divine. Though I am not knowledgeable music has helped me get nearer to the divine. Have the opportunity to learn some Kritis through my DDs guru that has helped me understand music. Through Illayarajas Thiruvasakam I had the opportunity to peek into Thiruvasakam. Celestial voice of Dr.K.J brought me closer to Lord Ayappan. I could spend whole day listening to M.S Ammas Kurai ondrum illai, Sriman Narayana etc. without internalizing external music I can never be in harmony with my own self. Whenever this instrument goes out of sync to tune it I need external music just like my DD uses external app to tune her string instrument. Nice snippet. Very thought provoking.

1 person likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    Music in symphony is always melodious , it can inspire us, make us peaceful, enjoy it and is in perfect harmony.
    But real life symphony is not melodious...many apasruthis, correcting them, innovate new ones....difficult to make it perfect or in complete harmony.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  4. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Viswa sir,
    Your post brought me a visualization of orchestra,.. I was imagining God like Ilayaraja waving his hands.. All of us, tuning and playing instruments.. Some abaswarams here and there.. God is helping a few, to tune them.. Some are being helped by prodigys called Gurus.. Some others help us tune by understanding our problem - deivam manushya roopena...and the more closer we are to good people, the more inspired we are to play nice sweet tunes, thereby creating local Harmony.. When local Harmony happens at many places, we can expect a good symphony..

Feeling alive musically,
    Ramya

1 person likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viswa,
    What a great analysis you have done by giving the metaphor of symphony to life!
    A good interpretation indeed.

In music, tuning is extremely important.,especially in orchestra. It doesn’t matter how well you know the music, how beautiful your tone is, how together you are with everyone else – if your instrument is out of tune, your music will sound bad.

Similarly ,however intelligent or wise you are,you may be a misfit if you are unable to relate to the sufferings of your fellow beings.

It is very essential to watch and follow the conductor in an orchestra. If you get bogged down in your own notes. you will miss the direction he gives. The conductor shows the dynamics, the volume changes,and rhythm especially.Yes, we have got rules of character and conduct prescribed in scriptures and guided by our ownFree Will.Unless everyone scrupulously follows,there is agitation ,struggle and loss of peace.That is why individual discipline and 'charity begins at home'- principles hold a lot of significance in our efforts to bring in a harmonised 'symphony'.

One has to be more careful with intervels or rests in between swaras more than the actual piece.
    Music is actually the silence or rest intertwined between two sounds, as explained by the great percussionist Shri Palghat Mani Iyer.

We have The Conductor,God as our director for our lives. We may march towards harmonised symphony of life only if we keep a scrupulous watch over Him. If we get immersed in our own day today problems ,we may miss important directions dictated by God through our Conscience.

When things in life are not going just right, better we stop, think and analyse. We often have the melody. But sometimes, other instruments have the harmony.
    Sometimes we don’t play at all. We have rests. When you hear an orchestra play a symphony, there is a beautiful weaving of melody , harmony. and rest. Deek****ar's and Syama Sastri's compositions on Devi are master pieces because of the rests or intervels they have created between notes.

In life too we have happy timings just like melody. Some may have a peaceful life as harmony.Some have tumultuous life with financial stress, health problems or marital disharmony like the jarring beating of drums. Some may take rest just like doing meditation and just watching their thoughts.Even the same person may have all these roles to play on various occasions.
    When all these combine together ,is it possible or probable to expect what is called a perfect 'symphony'?

Rests were simply times to stop playing.(Summa iru) in Tamil. Scripture describes us as a Body – with all the parts working together.

“I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.” -a famous statement in the music world..
    But we cannot deny that it is a rare possibility to have a perfect 'symphony' in life when billions and billions having their own melody,beats and jarring participate in the stage-world.All the Free Wills do not move towards the same goal or in the same direction.Individual Karmas intervene.
    It seems that God never intended to create pure 'symphony' .or 100% perfection.

Even in the preceding three yugas, there have been demons, sadhus being tortured and such unbearable situations.
    Only when there is struggle and upheavel, there can be efforts and initiatives of advancement in the evolutionary process.If everything is perfect and a symphony as envisaged is in place there will be no scope for betterment, which is the main aim of creation.There is no universal karma Theory also.

'What you sow, so you reap".
    If totally harmonised symphony is a possibility, karma theory will become illogical.Symphony is the most ideal situation with 'nil' possibility.Just like sales men's targets are being increased as they near the stipulated one, the definition of 'symphony' also may get redefined even if we assume that 'symphony' is at a hand to mouth distance.
    Some imperfection will be there one after the other and that is the intention of God Almighty also.If His intentions are achieved ,it has to be accepted in toto .After all individual karmas have a telling effect on the socity which consists of individuals.
    Let us sing and dance and play to instructions of the director irrespective of whether it results in harmony or whether it can be termed 'symphony'.
    'Karmanyeva adhikarasthe,maa phaleshu kadhaacha na."
    Let there be diversity and let there be'bhinna ruchis.
    Why to long for the impossible harmony which has never been the way of nature?

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear jskls,

Thank you for your first response. I am glad you once carefully understood the symphony orchestra. Music is used regularly to reach divinity. Thiagabrahmam to MS amma, everyone reached ecstasy while alive through music. Speaking of Illayaraja Thiruvasakam, an incident that I encountered comes to my mind. I used to meet an American male nurse who used to visit our spiritual center regularly. He used to sing Sanskrit bhajans flawlessly with accurate pronunciation. Because of that, I admired him regularly. One fine day, he asked me, "Is your mother tongue Tamil?" When I answered affirmatively, he said, "I am going to bring a CD that I play every early morning for the past so many years and can you kindly tell me what that is?" The next week, he brought it with him and it was Illayaraja's Thiruvasakam. Without knowing the language and the meaning, he was able to connect with the divinity. Another Polish friend of mine wakes up every morning at 4:30 to do meditation but he doesn't leave his home until he hears Adhitya Hirudayam. These incidents taught me that the language is no barrier to reach the divinity.

If music is capable of making the Lord to melt out of love, how can the reflection of divinity i.e. human be any different?

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Syamala,

Yes. You are correct. Listening to symphony gives us a lot of inspiration and make us peaceful. I believe it is our own mind that makes us misinterpret the tune and play the wrong node. Abaswaram is caused by our own mind than anyone else around. Self-inquiry, observing the plants and animals, manifesting love in our heart, remaining in the world like a Lotus in a pond, accepting life as it happens, remain calm in experiencing pleasure and pain, keep improving our character and reducing expectations, subordinating our mind and senses to the welfare or common good of everyone around us, etc. help us to tune our instrument to be in harmony with the rest.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Ramya,

Thank you for your kind comments. The composer's/conductor's ability to forgive the wrong tune and allow the instrument to try again is the key for the human beings to continue having hopes in life. He would correct as many times as possible to prevent a human being from falling and help to get up but finally, it is the humans determination to get up and perform well that makes the difference. Apart from teachings of Guru for playing the tune, repetitive practice is needed for the instrument to be in alignment with the symphony.

Viswa

9. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Viswa Sir,

I am speechless.
    I have read again and again, what a fabulous thread.
    Music and life.....
    Thanks a lot.

1 person likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your kind words and they truly humbled me.

Even in life, the goal is one the approaches might be many. Every life that is born is longing to be one with One without the second and that urge is never going to diminish. Some may take more time while others may do it quickly. We all are tuned towards one objective. There is no I and others and understanding that comes from our constant mindset of compassion and heart filled with love towards fellow beings.

It is important to understand the purpose in life in order to align ourselves to the Creator. Divine instructions are embedded in the form of experiences and the Divine Order is compassionate to make us get up every time we trip and fall.

Patience to carefully keep correcting ourselves and perseverance not to give up until we get the tune are essential. Ragas are many but Swaras are only seven. Instruments might be many but the tune is only one. One can't overplay an instrument and one needs to wait for the Composer's instruction when to play the interlude. There may be time given for Thani Avardhanam and one has to wait for such instruction from the Composer. We can learn how to play our instrument well but still we need to remain modest and remain within the confine of the limits set by the composer.

Instead of trying to understand why it happened and why me, simply observing such happenings and handling them gracefully with conviction puts us back in the right track. Sometimes, strings of instruments might be broken in the middle of the Symphony. Does it mean, we should give up? We have to learn to fix it and practice the symphony until we get back in tune with the rest of the instruments.

Again, there could be many instruments and how one plays it may vary but one has to remain within the goal of the symphony. Free will is to specialize the instrument to the best of one's ability and increase its efficiency to automatically align with the symphony faster and easier. Improvisation can happen within the barometers of the tune and it can't be out of tune to the world symphony. The life is all about catching the super highway of divine energy for that we may have to learn from each other. Understanding one instrument alone doesn't make a symphony is a must.

If the composer/conductor doesn't keep the world order, there will be chaos everywhere. We are aware that when this planet was created, the composer set 34 conditions complied with zero tolerance for life to exist in this planet. He gave gravity to the planet for us not to be thrown out in the space. Most things we need for our existence are freely available in the planet. When we see around, we notice that plants and animals are in perfect harmony with the nature around them. They all appear to comply with the world order. Why is it not possible for us to be in tune with the world order? The composer has given special power in the form of discrimination for us to understand and experience the world order and we should make every effort to not only understand and experience but appreciate the world order.

Viswa