1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Swimming against the tide

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Trupti12, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

2015 turned out to be the year of soul searching. I was in my office 8 months ago, working the dreary job that never inspired me in the least, when one normal day like any other, I was walking in the corridor and SMACK! A realisation hit me with the force of a train whamming into you at full speed! It was like I was running towards a mirror at full tilt and instead of crashing into the mirror, the glass dissolved at the last moment and I crashed into my own reflection.

I realised how unhappy I was at my current job. Of course I was unhappy! But the thing that hit me the most was that I would NEVER be happy working in the IT industry. It was the absolute certainty of that fact that shook the ground from underneath me. I was changed at that moment and it was irrevocable. It was then that I decided that I needed to get away from my current surroundings to get some perspective.

So what did I do? I quit my project in my company, applied all my leaves, packed my bags and went on a trip with my cousin to Thailand. We did the unconventional there. We got away from the mainstream tourist places and went to places that weren't well-known but were real gems. When it was just us, traveling that amazing country, immersed in a different culture that I got the courage to decide to quit my job. I decided to save up and take a year off and focus on doing what I love.

When I got back, I had a few months to go till my contract with my company expired and I could finally quit. A lot of people in my life tried to get me to do other corporate stuff. Some ridiculed me for deciding to give up a steady source of income, some tried to persuade me to take up another job. Others still tried to scare me that after my year-long break, it would be hard to find another job. They all did that because perhaps they had my best interests at heart but I was caught in a whirlwind of confusion all the same and I was left dizzy.

That was when my soon-to-be mother-in-law called up and she gave me the courage to turn a deaf ear to pessimists and pushed me towards my passion. She said if it didn't work out, I could figure something else. But I had to give myself a chance. She really has been the most supportive of me in this life-changing, risky decision. That one phone call lifted me out of my confusion and depression. Honestly, it is the support of just one or two important people in your life that matters the most. Thankfully, I have more than just one or two. They are the ones who make the effort of going against the tide all worth it.

13 people like this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Trupti

Nice to know that you made up your mind and doing the right thing. Proud of you girl. Happy that your MIL helped you in taking the decision......
    Even happy that you asked her, spoke to her, discussed your problems with her.
    I know we are still to be tied up into this relation. I am happy to have you into my family.hugsmiley
    Always listen to your heart than listening to everyone around you. Take they opinion as that will help you to make the decision.
    I wish to see you shining into whatever you have chosen to do. :)

4 people like this.
  3. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Trupti12 you are lucky to have more than 2 such people in your life. I wish you all the luck in life.

When I first read that you want to give up a good job I was surprised but when I saw that you want to do it to pursue something you like more than this job I was happy that you had the courage to say it to yourself first. :thumbsup Good luck girl.

1 person likes this.
  4. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

@Arunarc: Thank you so much for your unswerving support and so much more. I can't thank your son enough for bringing you in my life. Te amo! :thankyou2:

2 people like this.
  5. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

@daisy2015: Thank you so much for the warmth. I need it now more than anytime else. :) I wish you good luck and wellness too!

6. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you dearfriendssmiley. I am in dead need of good wishes and prayers at the moment.

7. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Good to know that you had the courage to follow your dream.Mostly people will advise us when we are planning to leave a steady income job.

Also you had a MIL who supported you to follow your dream.

All the best and soon you will shine in your chosen career.

1 person likes this.
  8. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

@Harini73: This courage didn't come easily. I do believe that when people were trying to advise me, they thought about my betterment. It was just that I needed a different kind of support. Thanks so much for your wishes. :)

9. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Trupti12,

It was really nice reading your snippet and i love your courage to quit the job understanding that you will never be happy.

Good to hear that you explored travelling in Thailand.

Happy that your soon-to be MIL is very much supportive for you and to go by what your heart says.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Trupti12,

Congratulations for a brave decision to go as per what your heart tells you to do. I am glad that you have made that decision after much deliberation internally. A quiet mind achieves more than an agitated mind. More than the locations in Thailand, it is your ability to calmly think what is the right thing to do helped you overcome a huddle. Mind listening to the heart is a major accomplishment for anyone at any age and achieving it early in life is remarkable. When we all jump out of bed to work, it is a good sign that we enjoy what we do. I am so very happy to know that a brave young woman who has the courage to make such a decision and a would be MIL who advised her what was the right thing to do are both members of IL. Interestingly, I read the signature line of Aruna several times and understood her conviction.

This is a shining example of how to build relationships and I hope struggling people in the Relationship Forum make a note of this. I wish you good luck on all your future endeavors.

Viswa

1 person likes this.