1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

surname after marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by coolcool, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Hi everyone,

I read the blog with interest.I am a male here, so pls excuse me for coming here.

I just want to make a comment on this.

It is a custom, since ages, thjat when a woman marries, all the 3 names change for her .Same is the case with my wife, also same with my daughter who got married recently.

Why bring ego in this matter.Why not quietly carry on ?

In that case, then why does the wife shift to the husband's home, and not tell the husband to come to her home and stay ?

These are things to be quitely accepted, without getting egoistic in life.and make these things an issue.

Regards.kamal

2. machakalai

machakalai New IL'ite

main name is sufficent if the subject is male or female

but unfortunately most of the ladies wants to call them with a male surname (either it may be dad or husband).
    being a male my personal opinion a lady may be called only on her name irrespective of her martial status!

3. Anamtvm

Anamtvm Silver IL'ite

My surname is still the same, hasnt changed and nobdy including my husband is bothered abt it, Is it like compulsory in some places to change the surnames after marriage? I was not aware of this.
    Infact, my father has his mother's family name, and it has been passed on to us also, we are all known still by my grandmothers family name, and it kinda continues, my husband tells me that he doesnt like a wife who has his surnamefor a tail .. lol :)

4. jayanaresh

jayanaresh Bronze IL'ite

Hai

What is in surname? Your own father will feell happy when someone calls you Mrs.your DH surname............instead of Miss.Your father surname.

When u r entering a life of marriage - accordingly u have to change your surname.

Iam proud when someone calls me Mrs.Naresh, because Iam part of him and he is part of me.

My DH too smiles when someone calls him Mr.Jaya.

Instead of critisizing -----------enjoy life and have fun

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  5. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

well, according to me i have been so-and-so all these years. just cos i'm married, i dont become a different person. i'm still very much the same person i used to be. so i dont see any reason in changing my surname. i havn't changed my surname nor do i intend to. and i havn't asked my husband's opinion on it either. my passport and election id have been made in the name that my parents gave me.

6. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I added my husband name to my maiden name...now I've effectively two surnames. I wanted to do it...to be honest before marriage I was looking forward to the day when I can add his name to mine. It is my personal choice nobody forced me. I might change my name completely to something else tomorrow if I felt like it :crazy

7. sapnaHYD

sapnaHYD Gold IL'ite

After marriage we treat husband's house as ours and even feel that our in-laws and everyone should treat us(DIL) as one of their family member and share everything.Then wats wrong in changing the surname.It just shows that now u belong to that family.

8. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

There's nothing wrong in changing the surname and there is nothing wrong in 'not changing' too. It's just a personal choice of each individual.

9. Mavro

Mavro New IL'ite

Me too... I have my father's name as surname even after marriage :)
    @CC --- Felt like you when my MIL asked 'why you still have your father's name as your surname?' (though not seriously) I replied 'How could that change?' (with a big smile) :thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

I applaud your decision, I wish I did not change my surname, too late now. Well I do not regret, it sounds good if everyone in the family has same surname.