1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Supreme Court Verdict On Section 377- My Understanding.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Sep 9, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

I agree with you totally. Thanks for being here and airing your views.

friendabc likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Geeta,

I am so glad that the SC has decided to at least water down this article. I don't think anybody has any right to decide the personal details of another person's life (of course, as long as it involves consenting adults).

Basically, I wonder why all human beings cannot be treated just as that - human beings. Why male, female, others leading to further detailing of their personal preferences and lives? The day we can see all as human beings without defining them by gender, the world would be a better place to live in.

As for this:

If I understand this right, isn't this discriminatory in itself? First the law discriminates against a certain group of individuals (and later retracts it since it is discriminatory) and punishes them. What if someone is languishing behind bars thanks to the law? Do they have no right to come out because the judgment was passed earlier???

The issue is of course extremely complicated. More laws would have to be introduced to protect people who are forced into any kind of act similar to protecting women against rape. Women or men married to homosexuals who have a 'consenting relationship' with another of their own gender should also have recourse to law. Many alterations would have to be made, but this is good for a start, I suppose.

Lalithambigai and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

Thanks for your feedback, dear Satchi.

I agree with you in toto. Our world has been surviving on discrimination and misusing the rights of the weaker. After a long struggle a new beginning has been made to rectify some of the flaws. Let us see how the LGBTQ community manages this freedom with responsibility and win over the conservatives. A live and let live policy would be the ideal way to move forward.

I wish someone here with legal background could explain all the legal ramifications involved.

satchitananda likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  5. GeetaKashyap

Thank you, Cheeniya Sir, for providing such interesting references. Having a neutral stand is the best we can do!

I have seen that marriage video in the past; I was truly impressed with the focus and involvement of the couple and their families.

Lalithambigai and satchitananda like this.
  6. satchitananda

Have seen that video too, but wonder whether that was for real or just for the YouTube.

GeetaKashyap and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The greatest doubting Thomas of IL!

8. satchitananda

LOL CS, but it seems to be too good to be true!!! Unless it is an exceptionally open minded family with equally openminded friends.

KrishnaPriya3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

We came to know about a mother in Mumbai posting a bridegroom request for her son in the newspaper which created a lot of discussion in the forums. She simply said, "I just want him to be happy in life". I admire her courage to understand her son's requirement and stand up for him in the society.

My heartbreaks whenever someone's sexuality makes him/her inferior in the eyes of others. When they are lynched for that purpose, denied access to the rest room because they identify themselves with one particular sex when they were born identified as belonging to another sex, denied marriage certificate even though they are openly gay because the laws don't allow them to get married, denied entry into Church because the religion considers marriage as a union between a man and a woman, etc. bothers me a lot. My righteous mind tells me that everyone should have the right to choose their sexual orientation. This part of me is very liberal.

There is another part of me that is conservative. How do children (if they decide to adopt children) understand if the parents are of same sex (different than the parents of other children) live together ? How do they reconcile that in their mind and explain to other children? Lastly, the litmus test I apply is, do I have the heart if any of my future generation wants to be a gay? I have to admit, I have no answer to these questions.

It feels better to think sexual orientation is by birth. Recently a 7 year old boy declared to his parents that he feels like a girl. His parents accepted his request and dressed him up like a girl. But the children in the school didn't accept him becoming a girl. He ended up committing suicide not able to reconcile between the social pressure and natural feeling as a girl.

10. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

It may take forever for social acceptance on this yet good to see the 'gay pride flag' allover.Refer attachments.
    Sexual activity between same gender is legal but same sex marriage and same sex adoption legalization is pending. And this pass is not yet applicable at Jammu and Kashmir.

Attached Files:

SinghManisha and GeetaKashyap like this.