1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Superbowl

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The Superbowl has become a celebration in the United States and most of the Americans glued to the television from 6:30 p.m. onwards until the end of the Superbowl. If anyone is trying to do shopping during this period, this is an ideal time as there will no traffic anywhere other than in Los Vegas. 2023 Superbown was watched by 115.1 million between Kansas City Chiefs and Philedelphia Eagles. That was closely contested football game and Chiefs won it by 38-35 against Philedelphia. The Superbowl is so popular and watched by so many so that the average cost of a 30 minutes slot in the Television Ad during Superbowl costs around $7 million.

This year, the contest is between San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs, last years winner of the Superbowl. 49ers is well coached team and they have a history of competing well in the Superbowl having won 5 Superbowls in the past and last 2 of them recently. 49ers Quarterback Brock Purdy did well in 2022 and performed outstanding in 2023 regular season game. He has never disappointed the 49ers fans in the post session games especially when he performed so well in a comeback game against redhot Detroit Lions. Chief's Quarterback Patrick Mahomes is simply an outstanding performer and is extremely mobile evading the defensive tacklers to get first downs. Chiefs won 3 superbowls so far one in 1970, the second in 2020 and third in 2023 (the last two with Patrick Mahomes).

Both teams have extraordinary Quarterbacks and wonderful Receivers. It is difficult to predict which team will win the game. Superbowl has been such a popular TV time, the TV crew normally interviews the President of the United States to be telecast before the Superbowl. But the current President skipped this for two consecutive years in 2023 and 2024. It is a great time to talk about his performances as he would have captive audience. There is mixed reaction about him skipping, half of the Americans saying that he is too busy with so much going on in Washington DC including a bill to fix the border issue along with funding the war in Gaza and Ukraine and the other half saying that he has poor memory and it is difficult to be coherent in an interview that is watched by so many Americans.

The other thing that made this Superbowl so popular is Taylor Swift's dating of Travis Kelce, Tight End of Kansas City Chiefs.Taylor Swift has 273 million followers in Instagram, 94.5 million followers in X (formerly known as Twitter), and 79 million followers in Facebook. Before the election in 2020, she declared her support to President Biden that might have swung a few million votes in favor of President Biden. She has not yet declared who she was going to support in 2024. There are rumors in right wing media that she was going to attend the Superbowl in 2024 to support his boyfriend Travis Kelce and announce her support to Democratic Party again. In a way, right wing media says this Superbowl is fixed and used for political purposes with a victory gifted to Kansas City Chiefs. So far no such allegation was made against NFL in the past. However, Taylor Swift asks the media to leave her alone so that she can support her boyfriend without any publicity. But the media never let someone of Taylor Swift's stature to go unnoticed and the camera will definitely keep looking for her reactions during the game.

Whatever may be the case, we are in for a gripping contest tonight at 6:30 p.m. The half-time show is performed by Usher, eight-time Grammy Award winner and a 45 year old American singer.
    I am not a gambler to bet on any one of these teams but interestingly, this Superbowl is contested in Los Vegas, the betting capital of the world. Another interesting fact is whoever wins the Superbowl, they are titled as "World Champion" despite the contest being only among the American teams. I am a big fan of Patrick Mahomes and hence I am rooting for Kansas City Chiefs. Even when Buccaneers played against them in 2021 under the leadership of Tom Brady and won the Superbowl, I felt so sorry for Patrick Mahomes. (I am sorry @Rihana).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    MalStrom, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Those who believe in superstition or lucky numbers, here is an interesting fact about today's Superbowl. Taylor Swift declared her lucky number is 13. This superbowl is the 58th which totals up to 13. Chief's are playing against 49ers which totals up to 13 and the date of the Superbowl is 2/11 which totals up to 13. 100-13=? It is 87 which is the Jersey number of her boyfriend Travis Kelce.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: ) Actually I am not sure now who I am rooting for today. I just want to remember the 49ers incredible come back against the Lions two weeks ago. Watched that game on TV in one of my state's most beautiful national parks, as the sun set over the desert dunes. No wi-fi, so no laptop. Felt odd to touch the hotel TV remote. : ) I promptly sealed it in a ziploc.

My heart broke really bad when Purdy tore his UCL. I was devastated and felt bad on multiple levels. : ) bad for Purdy, his parents, my family, and everyone. He is just so cute and so down to earth. But, in the past few weeks, my FB and other feed keeps showing him saying way too many God/ Christian things. It is nice to an extent that he is open about his faith, but gets too predictable. But I liked how at the end of that Lions game, he first hugged his parents, and only then his girl friend.

Coming to today's game, I am now-a-days tending towards may the better team win. This can be argued many ways, but I feel Mahomes will do it for the Chiefs.

Another reason I am leaning towards the Chiefs, is I am currently in an admire-Taylor-Swift mode. : ) Been reading about her Eras tour shaking up the economies of cities positively. I am sure much of the news like her 100K bonuses to the truckers of her tour or even her currently dating Travis Kelce is to create news, but it is hard not to admire someone so successful. So, if the Chiefs win and Taylor Swift celebrates, and so do many little girls across America, so be it.

If the 49ers win, I'll make hay while the sun shines and get my husband to agree to some new furniture. : )

That is what I call win-win. : )

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Finest Post Winner

I am not a sports lover and hardly watch any games. But sometimes breaking news emerges making the fight between the supporters of opposite teams. I enjoy watching that video-hahahahaaha.

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

The reviews here are so good that impelled me to gather more info in google and u tube. I enjoyed reading the jottings here .

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I did not think anything would induce me to watch this sport. I always told everyone I would only watch the real football! Guess who was invested in the match today :cheer::cheer::cheer:
    #taylorswift

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir, Even the war of words between the two opposing teams prior to start of the game is sometimes entertaining. There are fans who encountered difficult times when they visited stadium of New Orleans and Philadelphia as the fans of these two teams are fanatics and couldn't stand anyone supporting other teams.

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

I didn't know anything about the Football when I migrated to the United States. I watched the Football for the first time in 1998, approximately 3 years after I migrated to the United States. Superbowl in 1999 was between Atlanta Falcons and Denver Brancos. After that I became a great fan of Football and all the intricacies of the game was taught to me by another colleague of mine. Afer Buccaneers won the Superbowl in 2003, I bought season tickets and used that time well with my son until 2010. That was a great way to bond with a college-going son.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Taylor Swift must be happy about the outcome last night after it looked like 49ers were solidly leading Chiefs in the first half. 49ers played well throughout the game and this game reflected that both teams were equally good and went into overtime. I think lastly, the injury to a few players, tiredness in a high-voltage game, and genious of the Andy Reed, Headcoach and Patrick Mahomes (a highly-talented quarterback) won the game for Chiefs. Travis Kelce was kep quiet for a long period of time by 49ers pulling the plug for Chief's fans but later he came back to perform well in the second half. The last touchdown was exceptional. It was interesting when Patrick Mahomes said after a hard won superbowl that they were not done yet and many more to come in future.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Viswamitra

That confusion existed for many as both teams were playing extraordinarily well. Isn't it amazing how her Eras tour is shaking up the economies of cities positively? It is unbelievable how she used the time difference to her advantage to leave on Saturday morning in Tokyo and reached LA on Saturday evening to be available for Sunday evening superbowl. It brought great memories for me when I traveled all the way from East Coast to Sydney to spend 2-3 days and then left immediately for Paris for a day trip, and then returned to Florida. I went through the West coast and reached back through the east coast. I was so confused for 2-3 days after return. Now I understand she is getting ready to go to Australia immediately.

I was sure Taylor Swift celebrated the Superbowl victory with Travis Kelce just for one night as her schedule is too busy. This victory must be special for Chiefs as it was a closely-contested game. 49ers played the game well until the very end. Perhaps, injuries and stress of the superbowl might have caused 49ers to lose it at the end.
    Is it possible for you to negotiate a consolation price from your husband for 49ers playing so well until the very end?

Thyagarajan likes this.