1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Super Brain Yoga

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Super Brain Yoga aka (“SBY”) is much talked about brain exercise much talked about in the western world for the past several years. Many psychologists came to the conclusion that this exercise could help a young talented child to activate his/her creative mind and improve memory. According to the experts, it is possible for mentally challenged children to stimulate their brain to show some improvements from time to time. Most autistic children are suggested to do it 2-3 minutes every day. The physicians are now proposing that as a solution for seniors to keep their memories sharp and to avoid Alzheimer altogether as a possible health condition in future.

Everyone talks about physical exercises as part of a disciplined life. Obesity becoming a major concern in most countries, the children are taught to play games or run every day to keep their weight under control. Many software professionals are working long hours sitting in front of the computer without any physical activities. Therefore, a few corporations are proposing exercises sitting in their respective chairs as part of the work schedule.

Corporate executives, middle management professionals, school going children, home-makers, retired elders who suddenly feel the vacuum of not engaging themselves at work and left with all the time in the world all feel a lot of stress in their day to day life. When everyone talks about the physical exercises, no one was talking about mental exercises as part of the daily routine. Brain teasers and puzzles that were published by newspapers used to be the only option for those who would like to refresh their brains. Nowadays, we have been getting consistent emails from a company called “Lumosity” suggesting to use their website to develop programs customized for each individual.

But, this Super Brain Yoga was described as a physical exercise to stimulate the neurons in the brain and make them function effectively which triggered my attention. As soon as I read about it, I was looking for You Tube videos demonstrating the Super Brain Yoga.

Right after I had a chance to look at the video, I realized that it is nothing but how we used to worship Lord Ganesha by keeping the left hand holding the right ear lobe and right hand holding the left ear lobe and do sit up while inhaling and get up while exhaling. The experts are now suggesting that everyone should do this for 2-3 minutes every day so that both left and right hemisphere of our brain would function effectively. It is high time we give a lot of attention to our old practices and find out the significance of each one of those practices before the westerners call it as exercise routines for brain development.

Sometime back, one of the Japanese firms filed a patent suggesting that turmeric has many medicinal qualities to cure diseases and it was objected to by India. Through this post, I would like my best friends (I call them as 3Gs) Kamalji, Balajee and GG to investigate into all prior religious and social practices in India and patent them as quickly as possible. Kamalji has the knack of making Lord Ganesh visit him at home when people line up in the Temples to have dharshan of him and perhaps he could ask Lord Ganesh next time why he preferred his devotees to hold their ear lopes and do sit ups? Perhaps, He being the Lord of Knowledge, he knew that the best way to make the humans listen to him is to trigger their brain through this exercise.

We notice that many children before going to the exam, pray to the Lord Ganesh for better results by doing this exercise. There are many adults who worship Lord Ganesha for success in their ventures before starting anything. Perhaps, there is a knowledge transfer process that happens when we do this exercise in the divine presence of Lord Ganesha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSwhpF9iJSs

girvani, satchitananda, racr and 8 others like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear shri Viswamitra,
    Delighted to read your super mail on 'super Brain yoga' or Thoppukaranam, a form of Ganesha Worship.
    Super Brain Yoga helps to balance the left and right brain of a human being. As we know the left brain is for Logical reasoning and the right brain takes decision based on emotions / intuitions. For a healthy balanced life the working of both sides of the brain should be balanced and this is exactly achieved by super brain yoga or thoppukaranam.
    In early days ,if we did anything wrong in the school,we were asked to do'thoppukaranam for 50 times. It was a thoughtful punishment given by teachers to balance the activities of the brain so that the child does not indulge in some mischiefs,thanks to the wonderful yogic punishment.
    An institute in Manila seems to have got patent for this 'super brain yoga'.
    Some of our religious practices had great scientific significance too, though the practice was handed down with the brand 'religion', which was initially accepted unquestioningly by everyone, and later given up just because they had 'spiritual' significance.
    Somehow religion and spirituality were totally ignored as a class of 'superstitious thinking without rhyme or reason. At least modern girls and boys have started analysing scientific significance of age old practices and try to follow a few of them which look reasonable.
    We have also neglected many country drugs which had immense effect on stimulating brains.Some children are highly intelligent, grasping is good. But they don't perform well in exam. May be due to fear. Or they are unable to retain what they grasp.These children can't answer even when asked in private.

Thoppukaranam is great exercise for those who suffer from retention process.
    There is a drug called'vasambu' a Small twig like thing( I don't get the name in English,) available in all country stores. Four or 5 pieces should be soaked in milk (Just half a glass of milk)for 7 hours. Taken out,washed with water and next day again soaked in milk. The process should be done continuously for 7 days.I just used to immerse it in milk before going to office and take it out when I came back.
    After 7 days, dry the pieces well for a day or two. Make it into soft powder in a mixie.preserve the powder in a dry container.
    Daily dosage:Take roughly about the weight of a rice piece( arisi edai),mix it with a few drops of honey and give it to the child in the morning alone in empty stomach.It is paletable only, Not sour.You can find noticeable improvement within 6 months.

This wonder drug is commonly known as 'pillai valarppaan' in Tamil.
    It is given to infants of a month.It is a medicine for both constipation and diarrohea.
    For constipation it is given raw and for diarrohea ,it is charred and given to infants.
    Thanks viswa, for starting a snippet on a much needed topic.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for the first response and hopefully, I will get more responses from others. It is interesting to know an Institute in Manila got the patent for Super Brain Yoga when this has been traditionally followed by India for several hundreds of years. Acu Pressure system triggers the neurons in our left and right hemisphere of our brains when we hold the ear lopes and sit up, I guess.

There are so many natural ways to cure health issues. This is the first time I am hearing about Vasambu and thank you for sharing it. I am glad younger generation is reviewing all practices of the past to figure out the significance. I am hoping that some of those practices would be patented so that it does not change hands to another country.

Viswa

4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice analysis that reveals we are pioneers V'

3Gs :):):) - the first 2Gs are real G(reat)s - I am learning from you all V'.

Our history is rich but the only issue was many such things were kept a secret or remained just a religious aspect and never reached out the masses. The current commercialization of all activities target these and claim as their own innovation - and none really from our side to really go out in claiming our rights/respect.

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

As part of teacher training, we were introduced to yoga sutras and my teacher always told us this story - that the Adi yogi gave the knowledge of this yoga to the Saptharishis to spread it in the world (I read it as India) and that yogic life style is so integrated in our system that more often than not, we do not recognize one form the other - be it the way we sit or eat and things like that. I did read about this super yoga a while ago and I also am aware that it is practiced in some schools and accepted as a form for the neurological stimulation. Growing up, I never had that much exposure to yoga but when I showed interest here, many asanas were comfortable for me and people around me assumed that I have been practicing yoga for a long time, even in my first class! Thanks to my roots and my upbringing I still sit cross legged on the floor to eat my dinner my kids and many of my neighbors children find it extremely normal :)

Now, as I work with younger children I already see the effects of modern living and I am constantly working on trying to get them to allow their body to perform at it's optimum. I am surprised to see these young kids as tight as say a 50 or 60 year old who has never sat down on the floor! But I see progress and the joy kids find when they realize that after all that padmasana is not that hard after a 3 or month effort is indeed very gratifying.

I have not paid much attention to the patenting world or the world of this is ours and this is yours, but I do have to tell you that thanks to my association with some westerners here, my own knowledge of our systems is vastly improving and I am only growing to be more respectful of where I come from.

I think Patanjali has done a fabulous job of presenting this form to us - it is as scientific as it can get I believe, as artistic as it can get and he manages to write the whole sutras without bringing in God or religion. Amazing!

Here is an interesting article - Patanjali - The Father of Modern Yoga

1 person likes this.
  6. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir,

Very Informative post Viswa Sir!
    There is always a liberal dosage of ‘the raving new’ and ‘good old’ flavoring your posts which captivates all of us here :))))
    Very enthralling to understand the significance of every ritual that’s been followed for ages now. Knowing there is a science behind every sentiment that’s observed only brings a lot of hope that these traditions will never fade away.

Just like this super brain Yoga, I was wondering if the "Sashtanga Pranamam” or kneeling down/prostrating for prayers has some science associated with it. Each faith has its own name like namaskaram, sujood, genuflection and etc, but the essence of it is the same- Surrendering your egos before the lord, which is also a balasana (child pose) in Yoga. So these aren’t mere religious rituals.

Memory blips are so common among youngsters also, we misplace house kepys, few words are tongue tied to very tip, forget where the car was parked. These slips generally happen but some lifestyle changes like regular walking, exercising increases supply of blood to the brain spur the proteins for the development of neurons.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Viswa sir,

we are very slow in accepting and celebrating our heritage and traditions and raise a great furor when the west glorifies them as something they invented.. there is so many treasures that are waiting to be celebrated.

SBY or our thoppukkaranam is a wonderful exercise. and geniuses were our elders, who adapted the pranayamam into gayathri, and thoppukaranam into the morning prayers for mudal kadavul. and add to that the karna vedha to give more power to the one perfomring thoppukkaranam. and the way of activating the nodal points, and the way you are asked to almost touch the knee to the ground without bending, working on keeping the knees well lubricated too, is stupendous

even periyavaa talks about the origin, the reason of the thoppukkaranam and its benefits and you can read it in deivathin kural.

something we learnt so naturally is now taught as a part of yoga classes.
    it is said to work miracles in keeping the brain active. works well for autistic children too. it is part of the auricular therapy.

lots of research papers doing the rounds..proves our elders were great planners and thought of everything..only we tend to look down on some of the things as they made them rules/rigid traditions.

look at all the studies on sri yantra Sri Yantra Geometry Research to demystify the construction..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNqp4CgTWEg

and also the studies on om..a simple chant of the om, that reflects the tuning with earth resonance and also allows us to concentrate with oneself...
    http://paper.ijcsns.org/07_book/200808/20080825.pdf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7DiOB8E5Zc
    Schumann resonances - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

have a friend who discusses all this, and have seen jayasala mam sharing some of these..

high time we also include being happy, being proud of one's heritage and traditions ofcourse based on the scientific reasoning, as we have raised a generation which does not want to follow anything blindly.

Good one, and if were to discuss all this a simple blog is not going to be enough.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

jayasala mam,great info on the vasambu..have wonderful memories of the flavors arising out of a burning vasambu.. the humble vasambu that was so much part of our childhood has been replaced with other things..

it is called the easy flag used in bach therapy. acorus calamus is the scientific name and is referred to as easyflag/calamus

9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Shanvy for giving the botanical name for vasambu.Indian will accept anything ,including our own tradition, only when imported from abroad.
    Jayasala 42

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    So the west hijacks our age old thoppukaranam and gives it a new name as Super Brain Yoga! Our ancestors have interlinked some rituals with health therapies.

While Westerners are adopting our age old practices our secular people will try to give a religious colour to everything.

But UNO has announced June 21 as International Yoga Day as per our PM's request and more than 170 nations supported it.

On December 11th a resolution was passed with consensus by 193 members to declare June 21 as International Yoga Day.

PS