Summer Vacation And No Mobile Phones.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anusha2917, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Anusha2917,

It brought some wonderful memories of young age. We used to visit our grandma in a remote village in Tanjore District. The bus trip is only 2 miles away from this vacation home and the rest of the trip is in a bullock cart.

One fine day, we all got off the bus and found a man standing waiting for us. "Peria Kuzhandai, epdi irukkeenga?" (Older Child, how are you?) he asked. I was looking at my older brother when my mother replied, "I am fine." Then I realized that this 23 year old young man was calling my mother older child as they all relate everyone to my grandpa. I was 10 years old at that time and demanded from him that I would like to learn how to drive the bullock cart. He asked me to sit next to me and taught me my first motoring skill. He told me which rope to hold tight to turn right or left and how to avoid pits. I tried my skills and it worked very well. Mostly the bullocks knew the route and how to safely navigate those katcha road.

We used to enjoy sleeping on the floor, having shower in the pond, eating from the hands of grandma, playing with cousins, plugging mangoes from the garden, inspecting the rice mill activities, visiting tent movie theater, having our hair cut from the only barber in town, etc. But, the rule is we need to go to the Temple once in the morning and and again in the evening which is the rule. We need to enter the house after washing the legs and hands. We used to enact dramas, build a stage and show our acting skills to the entire village. There was no audio system and hence we all need to shout our dialogue. The preparation of crown for a king, queen, etc. used to be very interesting exercise. Once in a while, we will be allowed to have shower in the bore-well pump and visit the agricultural land. Since we are all from city, the villagers used to make fun of us by introducing the paddy field as "Nell Kachi Maram" (paddy growing tree).

Anusha2917 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa sir,
    This is a wonderful trip down the memory Lane. What you have explained is exactly what my dad says about his childhood.
    I have one vague memory of having bath in a pond in the same Tanjore .We used to carry our clothes to the pond . Walk a couple of miles to reach the pond. While the kids are in the water playing the aunts used to do the washing. . I was vv small then.
    Where can we get those days now.:grinning:
    Enjoyed reading your post.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

First of all congrats for winning the award. You brought us memories of summer holidays

We had a simple life without any facilities but we enjoyed life. True those days no mobiles, TV's, dining table, fridge etc. Today we can't live without them. The mother gives the mobile to a two year old so that she can do her work but do not understand how it will affect his eyes. We did not have any bus to school but used to walk. But after 7th my school friend used to take us in her car. We managed with two set of school dress. New dress was bought only for Diwali. Only one pair of shoes and and chappal.

Used to take lunch to school in thooku no lunch boxes .mostly it will be idli or dahi rice.

Used to eat whatever is given. But my grandmother used to know our choices and cook accordingly. No going out after 6pm.

We did not have hectic life like now. Today parents have to face challenges and some don't know the value of joint family.

4. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Aunsha

Very valid concern for summer time. Kids these days have it tough as everything has to be organized play and no time for free play. Let them enjoy summer with limited screen time and get out and play. Families should plan summer reunions so that kids can get to know their cousins and spend sometime with them. or Families can meet at a common vacationing spot and spend some time together. It is tough on the parents to keep the kids engaged whole summer and that too if the weather is hot.

your snippet brought back good old memories from childhood. It was play play play for us in summer. Even today we friends look back at our good old days when we ganged up and played mischievously troubling the ones nearby. Not to mention the affectionate treatment from near and dear ones we got when we visit and spend few days with them. Nice write up.