1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for my baby's sleep disorder

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Nalini, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Nalini

Nalini New IL'ite

Hi

I have a four months girl baby. She always cries a lot for her sleep. She doesnt go to sleep easily. This is the case which keeps following right from the day she was born. I thought things will improve. But it is 4 months now and everything is still the same. Especially for the past two days it is very difficult for me to handle her all alone since my husband is out of town. Today i got so irritated i felt like slapping her, but looking at her, innocently crying with eyes full of sleep, i felt very ver bad about myself :bang . Any suggestions which might help me to put her to sleep are most welcome.

Thanks
    Nalini

2. Ponraj12345

Ponraj12345 New IL'ite

Try the following tricks.

1. If the room is too bright, try dimming the lights, if necessary cover the windows with curtains.
    2. Try giving a warm water bath, give her a massage and try a soothing music.
    3. Check the room temperature, it should neither be too warm nor be too cold.
    4. If she suffers from gas, try giving her mylicon drops.
    5. If she's having colic, you need to wait for some time.
    6. Since she's having this for the past 4 months, this may not be colic. Try warm water bath, massage, soothing lullaby, place your shirt or blanket next to her( to make baby feel you are with her).

Hope this might be of little help to you.

Thanks,

3. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Sometimes babies just need some comfort to sleep.. I strongly suggest you to try using Pacifiers.. Its ok to use pacifiers just for some times, eventually they will grow out of it.. Try Gerber Nuk brand.

Dont worry and dont lose your patience.. Believe me, it gets better once they grow up..

:)

4. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

:)

maybe shes hungry and ur feeding time is wrong some of the kids dont sleep in night but sleep in day time u need to change her routine by keeping her awake in day time for one or two days and ur problem wud be solved .
    my son use to never sleep in night and whole day he use to sleep and it was so painful to keep awake whole day and night for me my mom suggested me to come to her place in train during night which helped a lot bcz of tht train movement my son slept in night and woke the next day since then i had no probs this was 14 yrs back but this worked out for many who told this prob

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Nalini,

Have you tried the portable or the stand alone swings by Fisher price and other manufacturers? I used to have the same problem with my son. It used take for ages for him to fall asleep in the night. Then i tried the swing and the rocking motion put him to sleep in no time. As some one else said, do try to give a nice warm bath about an hour before bed time, that helps too.

Good luck and welcome to all the travails of parenting. Don't feel bad about getting angry, it does happen to all of us. We are human after all!

Vandhana

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Have you tried putting in car seat and rock gently or in a rocking chair which might help a bit?? If you are nursing her, then, nurse and put her to sleep incase of any insecured feeling or if she is hungry.

Or, just sing or hum to her in a low voice which my mom would do to my daughter. To some extent, it would control both of my kids.

Good luck..

7. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Nalini,

Sorry you are going thru this. But believe me your daughter will definitely grow out of this. Are you nursing ur baby. Make sure she is getting enough to drink. You can also try a little formula that will make her little stomach feel full and that might make her to fall asleep easier. Give it a try.

Hope this helps.
    Jothi.

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Nalini,
    That is a very hard thing to understand and digest with a child. I know that for sure for I went through the same with both my kids. For my daughter it was my father and brother who took care in the night and for my son it was me and my mother. We all had tough times.

But then it all lasted only for the first few months. Then once I started giving solids the problem ceased. It is all because the baby is not full. When the baby is not full and when it also wants to sleep it cries to full strength. So make sure that your baby is full and cuddle her close to her heart and if possible sing a song(though you may not be a singer as the mother's voice is for any baby is sooooooo sweet)

Try these out. Let us know the results.

9. aquarian80

aquarian80 New IL'ite

Hi All

I was also having similar sleeping problem for my 3 mth old and still sometimes face. Some things i found useful to make him sleep:

1. Rocking him on a car seat or swing(fisher price)
    2. Giving him a warm water bath with oil massage
    3. Nursing him
    4. Keeping lights dim and sounds minimal

Also, while making the baby sleep do not play with him or talk to him or let others do the same, as that will stimulate the baby and disturb his sleep.

HTH

Also can anyone advise me on the below:
    I had a doubt regarding the use of swings/car seats whether they are good for the back of a baby less than 6 mths old? I use the same but many ppl raised this doubt in my mind saying that babies should keep their back on a horizontal surface.. Please advise me on this.

10. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi Nalini,
    Here are my thoughts. My younger girl cries sometimes even now at 2 1/2. I have milk warm in a flask and feed her once she wakes up. When you put her to sleep, you can talk to her, that will make her feel secure. Check if she is feeling cold , then use a diaper along with warm clothes at night before which you can apply lot of baby cream on her bottom. Play soothing music and keep the room dim, wrap her up in a baby blanket and hold her near your chest. You can also try lying down next to her or putting her on ur chest as you lie down.
    Try this out with your lil angel. Take care as you need all the energy fo runnig behind her later.