1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for books

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by DrKadambari, Jun 27, 2012.

1. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

I am beginner hardly read a few of them my entire life.

Have read chetan bhagath, few Paulo Coelh.o books.

Can people suggest me some books.

I am not reader of Harrypotter or books like that.

And suggest websites to buy them online in US.

Thanks.

2. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

You can find them in Amazon.com , also you can check in your local public library.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

If you can elaborate on what kind of books you like to read, I am sure more suggestions will pour in.

4. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Srama, I have no clue whats good. I can count the number of books i have read other than school (and management) with my fingers.

I would say i would not want to read fiction, science i dont know what I want to read - Suggest me some books to start with which i can go pick in the library or buy online.

5. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

I think "the secrets" by Rhonda Byrne would be a good book to begin with. I dont know where to buy it online, but I downloaded the book from 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage.

Try searching best non-fiction books on NYtimes bestsellers, read the review and buy.

You can get quite a collection on 4shared.com. Sorry for suggesting pirated versions, but if you are comfortable with soft copies, it is a good option. Then you can buy the books you want to read again and again.

1 person likes this.
  6. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Smrithi thank you, i downloaded The Secret and started to read. Will update once i am done.

More suggestions are welcome.

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

DrK, so sorry - I totally forgot that I had responded here! This link here http://www.indusladies.com/forums/book-lovers/84283-what-are-you-reading-now.html is a great source for you to browse through and pick. I am sure you have checked it out. I would start from the last page - that will help me keep current.

As for suggestions from what I read, I go through phases meaning a phase where I love fiction, then may be some motivational books, some philosophy books etc. But my all time favorites include Paulo Coehlo, Dr.Dyer - specially love his book "Wisdom of the ages", and almost all of Richard Bach,but "Johnathan Livingston seagull" and "Illusions" in particular. That said, I would also suggest Jhumpa Lahiri, I have loved "The namesake", some books of Chitra Divakaruni, I have personally loved "The palace of illusions"

Wall street Journal in their Sunday edition offers a suggestion list based on best sellers, both fiction and non and certainly NY times selection is good too! I am sure this will be enough to kick start your reading and this sub forum here is awesome to get some good insights. I have benefited from it a lot!

Would love to hear what you are reading. Do share!

1 person likes this.
  8. akanksha999

akanksha999 Silver IL'ite

I also have some suggestions which are easy to read and you will love:

"Love Story" by Eric Segal
    "Arranged Marriage" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

In case you like dramas and family stories, please read Danielle Steel as she is very easy to read and has written many many books which you should be able to get hold of easily.

If you like mysteries and thillers etc, read Sydney Sheldon and Forsyth.

I am sharing a link with you about the 1000 books everyone should read, why dont you choose one from this list :) 1000 novels everyone must read: the definitive list | Books | guardian.co.uk

2 people like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

DrK, the other book I would suggest is "Eat, pray and love". also for fictional reading do read Da Vinci code - quite interesting. Both of them are made into movies I have not seen the first one and I would not recommend the second one for a movie version.

2 people like this.
  10. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

"Eat, Pray and Love" is a very good movie too. I've just seen the movie starring Julia Roberts!

1 person likes this.