1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden weight gain

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaA, Mar 12, 2010.

1. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I have a query regarding sudden weight gain. Nilu was 10.5 kgs on Jan 1. She lost almost a kilo when in the hospital and was 9.5 kgs in the last week of Jan. I checked again last week and she weighs 11.2 kgs. I am worried if this weight gain is normal. She eats when she is hungry, refuses food when she is not, feeds well, is hyperactive and hence keeps playing all the time she is awake. The food she eats is home made, nothing is bought outside. Her diet includes rice, dal, veggies, fruits, and tiffin (dosa/idli/aval) and of course, BF on demand. Is the weight gain alright or should I go consult my pedi about this? Please advise!

2. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,
    I would be a happy mommy if such weight gain happens..but I've seen that my son too picks up fast after a bout of cold/illness..after starting preschool, hez not gaining but losing/remaining the same..so dont worry abt it....maybe she was burning less calories...

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I wouldnt worry Anitha. Convalascence can be a time of rapid weight gain. The weighing machine is accurate right? Sometimes weighing machines can be faulty too - do check that. What was her birth weight? She should be triple that at her first bday. DS has always been a chubby baby and I worry too. Another thing is to check length and see if the 2 are proportional.

V.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ditto what the ladies above said. DS's weight gain sorta evened out once he became mobile, but after he started walking I could see a marked improvement in his appetite and weight gain.

5. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Paddubala, thank you. Just that mine was an aided conception and so I have this constant fear that some medicines might have affected her :-D So this worry about anything that seems a bit off course!

V, thank you too! The weighing machine was a digital one, so am guessing it is accurate. Her vaccination comes up next month, so will get to check her weight at the pedis. Her length seems proportional, will check it again. Nilu was 3.75 kgs at birth. Right now, she has tripled it and is one month away from completing a year, so the worry. I do tend to worry a lot, isn't it?

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hey she's just like A and on the same trajectory looks like. He was 3.7 at birth and 11 at 1 year (and now a whopping 15 kgs). After he completed 2 I started tracking BMI every 6 months - something for you to consider.

V.

7. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Thank you, V. I will chart her BMI from now on. :)