1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Study time for a Grade 1 child.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Preet82, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

2 hours study everyday for grader 1whaatsmiley

That's really too much!!
    As rightly said by yellowmango...every kid is different. Some wants to study and study...some has fast grasping capacity.
    And kids at this age (6-7 years) should play more and learn practically.

I would like to share my experience...i used to sit with my son and do study...after 10 mins he used to start room around...leaving me studying his books.

Then we started fun studies....practical approach.
    He had trees, leaves in EVS....we actually collected leaves and flowers from different plants ...and explained to him.
    He was so excited and loved doing this kind of study for whole day...

2 people like this.
  2. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

2 hrs for a grade 1 kid is a real OMG!! DD is in 4th now and its now that I am preparing her to sit for 2 hours that too with a 10 min break so that her brain and body doesn't start lazing out. Even doctors tell this to adults that whatever be the position or work, you should take a break, may be just getting up, walking across the room or going to have a glass of water , every 40 minutes. But I am surely going to get this into DD's habit to sit for 2 hrs a day in grade 4 and if she does that time willingly with concentration I don't feel it's insufficient. For a grade 1 , a good study for half an hour at a stretch and if required an extra 20 minutes after a break should be enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

my daughters completes study of 10 mins in 2 hrs ...:drowning...but if kid is learning well in school then there is no need to keep bugging the kid at home too much....even i know some people who sends their kids to tution in grade 1 ...at tht time i get worried omg i am taking my duaghter's education so lightly...
    normally i take her homework and if i find tht there is something which she is lagging behind or not learnt in school properly then tht is taken at home...

4. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

IMO, study time for a 6 year old should reading a book of their choice with the parent (can take turns reading different pages and then discuss the story) and maybe simple worksheet that takes no more than 10 minutes. Other than that, kids learn mostly through play. Let them build with legos, swing on the swingset, whatever interests them. Small children's bodies and brains are not really equipped to "sit down and study."