1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stress Management

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

It is the mind that builds pressure like a cooker and ends up releasing it in the form of stress when it is unable to cope. There are umpteen teachings about control of the mind but there is no direct content that addresses stress. What word can console someone who has recently lost a loved one? Society does what it does best by sharing consoling words but there is no way anyone can comprehend the pain and suffering of the one who lost a loved one. As each person has his/her own way of coping with the stress, no one’s method will be helpful. Most philosophers teach us not to give credence to the past or the future, but the present is the only reality. Unfortunately, our mind delves into the past to recall pleasant or difficult experiences in our lives. The future is a mystery, but the mind keeps worrying about it always.

From the quality of life perspective, it is imperative to overcome stress quickly even though it is difficult to avoid stress altogether. Both body and mind are affected by prolonged stress. It can suppress the immune system, increase blood pressure, faster blood clotting, increase stomach acids, increase production of blood sugar, create inflammation, redness, swelling, heat, pain and decreased protein synthesis. COV-2 that creates stress for us can get into our body easily when the immune system is affected by stress. Major life-changing events, prolonged hours of work, family relationships, chronic worry, pessimism, negative self-talk, unrealistic expectations, rigid thinking, and all-or-nothing attitude can cause higher stress levels. A high level of anxiety, fear, pain, excitement, and stimulation can also increase stress.

Factors that influence stress intolerance are knowledge and preparedness to face stress, optimism, balanced life, sensation seeking, a happy state of mind, and a healthy body. When we encounter stress, the best way to overcome stress are to do body relaxation exercises, guided imagery (thinking about pleasant experiences), long deep breathe, yoga, talk therapy, set boundaries, and scheduled “me” time to understand our thoughts that cause stress. Even though psychiatrists suggest medicine to overcome depression, one need to study the side-effects of taking such medicines. Avoiding situations, procrastinating, sleeping too much, withdrawing from friends and family, taking out our stress on others are the ways we should avoid.

Self-confidence that one can handle any situation, accepting reality, self-satisfaction, exploring potential constantly to engage in happy life, defining ourselves, introspection and continuous improvement are some ways one can avoid regular life-stress situations proactively. Mindfulness does not come automatically unless one is watching his/her own thoughts, environment around and keep the mind occupied with the present. Mind tends to connect past and future with the present as most of our mind operates based on our own life experiences.

If we carefully watch stress, we will understand that stress either comes from what we had already experienced or what we believe we were going to encounter in the future. Overcoming stress quickly or altogether avoiding stress is part of self-care. Life is a happening and it is the mind that converts it into an experience. We can only work on understanding the reality that nothing in our life is permanent, work on relationships with people we love dearly to keep it on a high note, review constantly what we value most in life, who gives us a sense of security in life, what inspires us the most, and give hope for a bright future, what type of experiences were the proudest moments in life and how to replicate similar experiences and lastly how to keep ourselves happy as much as possible.

We are a part of a large enterprise called being-aware-bliss and we need to keep scratching the surface until we see the big picture. We can only change how our body and mind responds to what we experience.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

True! If we put in even a mild effort to examine our thoughts that cause stress, they will fall into two categories -- rehashing the past or imagining dire things of the future.

More on the past and future later ... the present calls. : )

Good to see a snippet from you, Viswa. Been a while.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

Absolutely true and beautifully put!

I couldn’t agree more on - “Accepting reality and exploring potential constantly to engage in happy life” .. much much needed.

4. Viswamitra

Thank you @Rihana for your first response. Yes, I have been on vacation from writing threads for a long time. Now I am back and hope to write more. Isn't it interesting that stress is caused by something that is not happening in the present moment? I will look forward to your elaborate response later.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Thank you @Metamorphic for your response. Concentration in what we do, determination to love what we do and lastly, doing it with an attitude to accept whatever is the outcome, will eliminate stress and bring happiness.

Thyagarajan and Metamorphic like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V uncle,

Learning to let go of anything is so hard. Often, I do try and practice and simply let go and the feeling of lightness I feel is incredible. I think the hardest thing i sletting go of that feeling ofbeing in control - somehow we like to believe we make and should manage and that leads to the stress we feel. Once we understand that sometimes it is easier to go with the flow or accept, it can get better.

Thank you for this write up - it is so easy to see all the stress manifested in different especially during these difficult times and I am learning to stay calm and help others if I can.

7. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Stress management, to the best of my knowledge is modern day term. It is not that people were not stressed in the past. There is hardly a person who has not faced some sort of stress and most of them get over it sooner or later. Meditation is one good tool because it calms the mind. But the most important thing is to find a solution or if there is none, to reconcile with it. Meditation or counseling will help to an extent but beyond that it is personal battle. If one is under some pain or pressure, he only knows intensity of it. If my knee is aching, it is my knee, if my heart is bleeding for my lost dear it is my heart, no one can share it, no one can cure it.
    Some take to drugs knowing in their hearts that it is not the solution. Some get fed up with meaningless sympathy.
    To my mind and belief, face it, find solution and accept the inevitable.
    Ramnath Goyenka, the founder of The Indian Express, lost his young son aged 21. His words still echo -Life goes on, very soon we will forget everything, we must move on if we are alive.
    Life goes on, does not stop for anyone.

Anusha2917, iyerviji and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: True indeed - word for word.

Thanks and Regards.

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Dear @Viswamitra Sir,
    A snippet
    - need of the hour to many - condensed and distilled the essence of managing the dreadful the net of negative emotions - a Desideratum.
    I enjoyed reading turned pensive.
    Thanks and Regards.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viswa sir.It is as if you had in mind people like me placed under severe stress for nearly three months.I have seen that people without much education and awareness ,who are not inclined philosophically or spiritually, are able to cope with the situation and get off more quickly than those who are conversant with 'acceptance' philosophy.I think those people are blessed.
    Jayasala42

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.