1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strangers and Junk Mails

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Finest Blog Winner - Fourth Weekly Pick of December 2011

My wife, son (7 years old at that time) and I migrated to the United States several years back. It was a very emotional migration for us as we had never traveled overseas prior to that maiden trip. We were traveling to migrate to the United States for good (at least in my mind) on a deepavali day. We did not have a slightest idea about where we were going to live and how we were going to educate our son and how long we could survive in a new environment. It is a transfer from a subsidiary to the parent company and I had no option but to take it as it gives a wonderful career growth. We landed at the destination at about 7 p.m. in the evening after 24 hours of traveling and every one of us were dead tired. The excitement of traveling overseas for the first time did not allow any one of us to sleep in the plane. When we landed, to my surprise, I found 4 of my colleagues waiting for my family to arrive, some Americans and some my Indian friends who had migrated to the US earlier. They loaded all of our baggage into the car and helped us unload them into a hotel room where we were supposed to stay for 7-10 days until we find our own apartment.

The next day morning, a colleague came to the hotel to pick me up to go to work. I made some arrangement for my family to get some vegetarian food and left. After finishing the formalities of joining including social security registration, to my shock, I was told that within a week, we need to find an apartment and a car so that I can commute to work. I had exactly 4 days to learn driving in the United States. Even though I used to drive car in Mumbai before that, I was nervous about driving in the US. I attended a safe driver class before I applied for temp license. I joined a Driving Instruction School to get a permanent license. Luckily, I had an examiner who was nice and obtained my license. Then, we went to buy a new car. I had no idea how to negotiate but somehow I cut a deal to buy a new car. We were told that I had no credit history in the US and therefore, someone has to guarantee the entire payment on my behalf. Luckily one of my colleagues agreed to do that and I got a brand new car.

We found an apartment to move in. After all these, my wife already was feeling that the days are not far off for us to pack our bags and leave for India. We had only $ 100 when we migrated (not that we were poor but those days foreign exchange was scarce) and we had to take a lot of advances from my employer to pay for rent advance, car down payment and so on.

We prayed hard and built a lot of courage to give it a try. The day after we moved into the apartment, my wife and I decided to go for a walk within the sub-division. Every person who was driving the car inside the sub-division as well as the ones who were walking stopped to greet, shake hands with us and to ask a lot of questions about India. We got really overwhelmed by this gesture of strangers to make us feel comfortable. Back in India, when we migrated to new places, it took so long for us to get to know the neighbors but in the US it was instantaneous. Back in India, waiting for the mails to arrive and read the mails from our extended family was a great pleasure for my wife. I thought she was going to miss that part. To my surprise, when I returned from work that day, my wife was smiling and told me that we had received a lot of mail today. I started going through the mail one after another and read each one of them. Later I came to know that in the US, it is very common that we receive a lot of junk mail but those mails were the greatest pleasure those days for us. Now, we have lived for many years in the US and we still receive a lot of junk mail each day. Mostly my friends tell me that they do not even read them and just throw them into garbage. I have special respect for those junk mails till today and I at least open before I throw them.

2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Viswamitra Sir,
    Your writing reminded me the whole scene when I came USA after marriage, though my husband was here but he used to share appartment with his friend and when I came we have to get the appartment, car.....and it was lot of task in very small time. And the same feeling came to me when I walked around my appartment campus with my husband.....strangers waved at us, asked well beings....but the difference was in my thoughts, I used to ask my husband do you know him.......then my husband told me that its a customary thing here that even if we do not know, if we come across someone on our way we have to be nicer/ask for well beings........
    It took me few months to get acustomed to this..........anyways, it is a very nice post.
    Regards,
    SM

3. Viswamitra

Meeta,

Thank you for your fb and for sharing your experience.

Viswa

4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir,

Beautiful blog. When I read the title I thought you are going to share some internet pranks. But its so touching. Its really difficult to get settled in a new country and good that you had good friends/colleagues to help you. Gone are the days when we wait for the post man to bring in that long expecting letter from a dear friend or loving grandpa. Now all we get are junk mails, restaurant adverts, utility bills.. :-( I can understand how personal you could have taken that during those initial lonely days. Nice blog. Enjoyed reading it.

ILT

5. Viswamitra

Dear ILT,

Thank you for your kind and wonderful words.

Viswa

6. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Yet another good one from your desk...!!!!!!!!!

Interesting way of narration ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“The odd thing about this form of communication is that you’re more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings.”
    in the movie “You’ve Got Mail”[/COLOR]

7. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

I don't wonder why you had so many people to help you in need.
    We can see how sweet you are just by the small gesture.."opening junk mails???" lol...

You had a smooth move. Not everybody has that luck and not everywhere.
    But then it is true that you are mystified by the friendliness in a stranger and the occasional strangeness from your friends.

Have a great day. thnx for the lovely post.

8. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Lovely to know about your initial experience after your maiden trip! Your experience reminds me of our trip from India to Australia with our 8 years old son! We were very lucky to have my brothers to receive us at airport and staying with their lovely family for 9 months before we hired our own apartment. We were able to focus on our career and especially on our son's settlement at school without bothering any other issue. By the way, we also found the people very friendly and smiling outside. It had been the joy to blend in this new culture.

Thank you for sharing your initial experience in US. So, how did the layman transformed into a Proficient writer/preacher of high spiritual knowledge? :)

9. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nice blog Viswamitra. I too had a similar experience when I went to US and soon, started using those papers in a way. Spread them and kept hot food. I couldn't afford a dining table, for the first few months. ater, we [myself and friends] bought a cheaper set and disposed it while coming back. Thanks. -rgs

10. Viswamitra

Sunitha,

Thank you for your kind words. Those junks gave us what we were longing to have i.e. attention and a feeling that we are needed by someone.

Viswa