1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Story korner - this time a bit funny one - "kozhukattai"

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by tuffyshri, Dec 4, 2014.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Am back with a story after a Looooooooong time! So want something like ice breaking :) here is a fun story. Am sure many of us would have heard this during our childhood but no harm in repeating right! This is my DD's THE favourite story, she loves my narration. So you also can add your imaginations and let fly the humour at home.

Kozhukattai
    (In Tamil language, Kozhukattai refers to a sweet which is very close relative of Sandhesh. This is also given to Lord Ganesha during His chaturthi. It can be salty-spicy also but in this story we will go with the sweet version)

Once upon a time, there was this guy Subbu. Subbu was very nice guy but is too silly to be ignored. One day he went to a far off city to attend a marriage function of his friend. In the marriage feast, a delicious dish called "kozhukattai" was served. Silly Subbu had not tasted the dish before. The perfect blending of coconut and jaggery melted in his tongue. He couldnt resist but kept on eating a lot of it. Finally he braved to ask his friend the name of the dish. He managed to remember it but only for 5 to 10 mins. Then he forgot the name. So when he finally bid a goodbye, not to forget the dish name, he kept on chanting it - 'kozhukattai', 'kozhukattai' 'kozhukattai' (here I add some fun scenes like he being chased by a fat lady bcoz she thot he was referring her... and also when he tried to purchase a ticket in the bus, etc.)

Back at home town, he kept walking with the chanting. He came across a small stream which he couldnt cross just like that. He didnt want to get wet also. So he took two steps back, ran faster and jumped across the stream with a loud 'athribacha' (some exclamation to gasp). From then on he totally forgot Kozhukattai instead started chanting 'athribacha', 'athribacha', 'athribacha'.

When he reached home, he rushed to his wife saying "hey, I ate this 'athribacha' in the marriage function, it was sooooo delicious. Please prepare some for me naa"
    His wife got confused "What? what do you mean by that dish? I dont even get the name"
    "What dont you know athribacha"
    "No I have never heard that in my whole life" (be prepared, you may get questions like, cant they use google!! LOL)

He got angry and started beating her. "dont you know to prepare athribacha... how dare you... (caution - my daughter was not fine with this approach of man beating woman, so deal it carefully)

The wife started crying and went to the backyard. The next door old woman came and was wondering why this woman was crying. Looking at her face which was all swollen because of the cry and Subbu's beating, the old woman asked
    "hey... what happened? why are you crying? why is your face so swollen?"

The wife didnt answer but kept on crying. Subbu came there and starred at both of them. Ignoring him the old woman continued
    "what happened tell me? Why your face is swollen like 'kozhukattai'?"

"Thats it...." Silly Subbu shouted "I want that only"
    "What???"
    "that last word you spoke"
    "you mean kozhukattai"
    "oh yeah... please do those kozhukattai for me"

Now the wife got raged as well as started laughing loud. Rest is history

2. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Loved the story . I think my grand ma has told it long time back I really enjoyed it :) :thanks for sharing the story

3. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

ha ha.. :) I got reminded of "Sevuthu keeraiya vazhichu podri, sorane ketta vellati."

1 person likes this.
  4. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

This is my daughter's favorite story too and I have modified it a little to avoid all the wife beating part-

Basically Subbu is a little boy who tasted kozhukattai at his friend's place and will hope to have his mom also make it for him. With other added frills, he will come across a puddle (since it had just rained) and jump over it saying "athribacha". As expected, he will go home and demand his mom to make "athribacha" for him. When she says she doesn't know any such sweet, he will get very adamant and climb on top of the table and start jumping up and down saying "I WANT athribacha, I WANT it now". As guessed, he will fall from the the table (here I sneak some advice on being adamant and throwing tantrums), get hurt and will get a big lump on his head. His mom will medicate him and then tell him, "I would have called up your friend's mom and checked what athribacha was if you had waited. See how your forehead is swollen now like a kozhukattai". Light bulb moment for Subbu!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

I love your version of the story, @mriduna :-D very nice.