1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Story Behind Tamil Proverbs- Anju Maatuponn Kadhai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Satlak, Jul 31, 2017.

Have you heard this story or proverb before?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Starting with Anju Maattu penn navigating to Ezhu maatu penn and learning about Maatru-Naattu-penn this thread is another good read. Thanks folks for all those enriching information :thumbup: and oh the story another good one

Thyagarajan and Amica like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Thank you and many happy returns of the day.
    I have never heard or read this proverb nor the story.
    Interesting . I shall read your other jottings .
    Your last post was in aug 2017
    God bless.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thanks to Thyagarajan Sir, I had a chance to read this thread. I have heard this through out my childhood. We are only two boys at home with no girl child in our family. My mother used to divide the work to both brothers when one is responsible to buy milk, the other responsible for buying the vegetables. When one child is responsible to assist mom in grinding Idli batter or Dosa batter or Adai batter, the other child is responsible for cutting vegetables before cooking. There are somethings that are compulsory for both children to do. It is reciting slokas at a specific time in the morning and evening. The play time is strickly between 4 and 6 p.m. 6-8 p.m. is study time. 8 p.m. is dinner and 9 p.m. is the bed time.

My mother brought up this story multiple times because my brother and I used to pressurize my mother to finish off our assigned work even before the scheduled time. The way she told the story is little different. The first dil cooked food, the second arranged for the dinning by placing the plaintain leaves and water, the third served the food, the fourth removed the leaves and fifth cleaned the place but without caring whether anyone is eating the food or not. In other words, after the food is served and before anyone ate the food, a DIL took the leaves off and another cleaned the place. It is not only a sequence issue but also the purpose why those responsibilities were assigned got defeated because no one cared whether anyone eats or not.

We used to laugh a lot hearing this story.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Thank u sir an interesting read and of course nostalgic. Previous generation to put things succinctly and subtly use proverbs adages . They convey the objective of the situation in a crisp manner and listener can not miss out the point.
    My dad spent his first twenty years in village and had many siblings and kins around in a joint family. His vocab used to be full of proverbs . For every situation sorrow or sadness or happiness he would say it with tamil proverbs seemingly hackneyed.. proverbs he used in conversation - a few of it listed below often brings to mind those situations and circumstances to mind instantly.

Valtha kada māril paayndhadhu pol
    Yerikitta kovichukknu k-ndi kazhuvama poran
    Chiruga katti peruga vazh
    Komanam kattadha örula......

Viswamitra likes this.