Storing Emergency Numbers in Cellphone

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Varloo, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    You all will agree with me that mobile phones have become more a necessity than a luxury now. Almost all of us use cell phones.
    In the Ananda Vikatan weekly, there was a request from the publisher for cell phone users. This is really important, please do read this.
    When accidents or mishaps occur, God forbid, it becomes difficult to locate and inform the relatives of the injured people. The rescuers could not find the relative or friend who is close to the person.
    To overcome this problem, it has been suggested and strongly advised that all cell phone users store the number of their relative or friend who should be informed in such emergencies. That number should be stored under the name ICE (capital letters)- meaning In case of Emergency. One can store any number of ICE as ICE, ICE 1, ICE 2 and so on. This has been accepted internationally. All of you please store the numbers immediately on your cell phones and also spread the message among friends and relatives.
    Some people may feel it is not important, but if any mishap occurs, then it would be very difficult.
    Recently, one lady in our locality lost her son. The boy was working in US and he had a road accident. He died at once and his friend was unconscious for 3 days. The hospital and police personnel could not trace relatives or friends and had to wait for the other one to regain consciousness. The lady is running a old people's home for free here and is also working in the Indian Bank. The boy was only 24.
    I am sure all of you will store the numbers in your mobiles at once. Let us pray and hope that such a situation does not arise for all.
    Thank you,

2. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

This is certainly very useful information , Varloo. Will send to all friends. Recently a Keralite family of four died at spot in an accident here. Only after 24 hours police could locate their relatives. Even their close relatives were here.

3. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

ICE no.s

Dear Varloo,

Yes, It should be done . I'll also start telling everyone of this. Particularly my son. He's alone there in Bangalore.

I also heard about a death recently in Hyderabad. The boy was staying alone in a flat. While watching TV in the night suddenly had a massive attack and died on the spot. since he didn't ring home (chennai) that night, mother got upset and started calling his friends at the office. Friends went to his place and found him. He had been dead for two days by that time.

Wouldn't like that to happen to others.

Latha

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

True

Dear Varloo,

Thanks for trying to spread a useful tip. One should do this.
    Even otherwise, if such a sad thing should happen in our proximity, we should anyway go ahead and ring any one of the stored numbers on the cell. Someone will surely lead us to the right place. It is a shame that it was not done in that poor boy's case.

L, Kamla

5. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Dear Varloo

Hi Varloo,

I informed all my friends about this cell phone suggestion. I am doing it as soon as I finish this post... Last week I hit a deer. It was early morning and so there were not many cars on the road..thank god..nothing happened..except the driver side of my car ..that..got totally damaged..I still feel scared if I think about it.....what if..something bad happened?? My husband travels a lot and I end up leaving early and coming back late from work...Nobody would even miss me:(.....for hours...I was thinking of re-naming my contact list in a useful manner...now..am..going to follow that EC..naming convention...Thanks for the post!

Lakshmi

6. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Kudos Varloo

Hi Varloo

It was so sad to read about the incident that happened to your neighbour. I pray that such things do not happen to all our near and dear.

This ICE message was sent around last year in the US. I had stored the same in my husbands phone. But it just did not strike me to post it in I L which has a wider reach. I would also like to add that if you carry a photo of yourself with your address and phone number in your purse would also go a long way.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness Varloo!

warm regards
    hopefloats

7. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Home will also be enough

Hi,

If you have a number mentioned as your 'HOME' in the mobile also will help .
    In the call list itself if there is a number always , will be helpful for somebody looking for it.
    Latha

8. bipasu_1950

bipasu_1950 Junior IL'ite

mobile help.

:clap kudos to varloo,

nice advice,thank you very much for the suggestion.i have already entered my
    residence no as home in my mobile and also my friends' nos also.anyhow i will be changing some details in it as per your advice today itself.
    bipasu.

9. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite