1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stories, yoga, philosophy - Oh what a weekend!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Re: Stories, yoga, philosphy - Oh what a weekend!

Thank you Sumitha! This is the first time i had heard either of the stories and was fascinated, so was only eager to share!

You have summed it so beautifully that I do not even want to add anything and ruin it! Hope you understand.
    And that is what I am doing too, learning from people like my own teacher and others that I have the opportunity of coming across. Thank you for those words Sumitha!

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha, just loved the philosophy from the sandalwood and the bamboo trees..and also the way, your teacher and yourself, put forth in here. Attachment, sure is a powerful emotional weapon to out grow...:-(.

Sriniketan

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha
    That was a beautiful stories with so much to learn from them.
    Especially the sukhdev's we are so much attached to so many things around us that we just cannot live without them.
    Like Kamalji say you are our Gurn that is so true everytime I read your post I learn something from that.

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha...
    Wonderful illustration of attachment.....Thank You for sharing this ....

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha!
    Wow! What a weekend indeed! and what a post!
    Sandalwood, bamboo, kamandala, attachment, detachment .. so many things all contained in one!

While I agree with you that we should practice detachment, me being me, I am questioning why?
    If God intended me to be detached I would hae been created long ago to be a sage. Or God might not have given humans the brains that creates all the material things.

And even if I want to be detached, I am also confused as to where to draw a line on this attachment/detachment point. Isn't it a relative term? As you say the poor man holds on to his hut and the rich to his mansion.

On one side we promote love- which is emotional attachment on the other we chide folks as being "materialistic". Even eating, wearing clothes, living in a house are all attachments, aren't they?

As for the sandalwood-bamboo - again we can take any non-human material and compare its characters to drive a point, any point that suits us.

In your narration the bamboo is described as hollow and non-absorbing of the good things of the sandal wood.

If i were asked to say something about the bamboo - I would say it is the finest example of detachment, self confidence, and compromise.

It is so confident that it does not have to be like the sandalwood, or take the sandalwood's qualities. It is not bothered about what others are- instead it is waht each of us should be- detached about the surroundings and do our deeds for which we are put on this earth.

The bamboo is noursihment to pandas, the sandalwood can be shown as merely cosmetic.

The bamboo, because of its hollow insides, is able to withstand powerful gales. So why should we not be like a bamboo?

The message I would take away from this class is it's a diverse world, some are sandalwoods, some are bamboos, and everyone has something to contribute. So I am I, and as long as I exist without doing harm to others (knowingly), I am fine.

Sorry if I offended you in any way, but this is just a friendly counter-point. If you had been sitting across from me we could analyze these things with garam chai and hot pakodas (I am attached to pakodas Sabitha - what to do? :))

6 people like this.
  6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kamala..
    now this is another way to look at the complete lesson...hmmm.. its like the glass is half empty or half full.. an interesting never ending debate where both sides win!!!
    K

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sabitha
    you seemed to have the most enriching knowledge- full weekend which just left me feeling "what the heck did I do for those 48 hrs??"... your yoga teacher seems to have captured the imagination of her American students..the replies to your post are really interesting &I simply couldn't resist Kamala's FB on the bamboo.. nice to hear another point of view..
    all I can say is preaching detachments from all the worldly attachments is the easiest thing to do but to practice is not humanly possible.. I really wonder if the king walked out thinking that the rest of my staff will save my possessions while i should just simply save my life????...
    I guess I'm being the cynical me!!
    K

8. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Srini for your words!

and can take for ever and ever!

Thank you srini for your feed back!

9. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Aruna for your feed back! No, no I am no Guru, trust me I am the most confused person ever who is only observing trying to assimilate and if possible apply! That alone is the reason why I voice out here and I do to a large extent believe like Richard bach says, "you teach what you need to learn the most"! I am only trying to understand!

Thank you for your feed back!

10. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Thank you VJB for your feedback!