Steps to take if Wrong Pin is entered and if ATM card is blocked

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chandannasta, Mar 20, 2013.

1. chandannasta

chandannasta Silver IL'ite

Recently, a friend of mine tried to withdraw some cash using his HDFC Debit card at a Union Bank of India ATM. May be he was in some sort of hurry, he entered his PIN wrongly, thrice. As you’d expect, his Debit card was blocked. It was written on the ATM transaction slip: ‘ATM card blocked, please visit your branch’. He was worried. [​IMG]
    I told him that it’d only be blocked for a day and in case he remembers the PIN correctly he can use the same PIN without any problem from the next day. He wasn’t convinced and immediately went to his home branch, which was just a Kilometer or so away from where we were. Another friend of mine accompanied him to the branch while I was waiting there. They came back, with confirmation that the same PIN will work after 24 hours.
    So why this story now?
    Because in case you come across such situation, all you need to do is wait for a day and then try with the same PIN again tomorrow. My friend has a HDFC Debit card, and I can confirm this is also applicable to ATM/Debit cards of popular banks such as SBI (and all its associate banks), ICICI Bank, Axis Bank and PNB.
    In case you really forgot the PIN, then you need to visit the branch or call the respective phone banking numbers to get your pin reset. Different banks’ have different charges for resetting the PIN. For SBI or its associate banks’, its a nominal charge of Rs.100.
    Note: Your card can also be blocked if you enter the PIN wrong (3 times) at a Point of Sale, for example at any merchant store. And it will also be blocked, if 3 wrong entries occur in a combination of ATM and Point of Sale tries, such as 2 at ATM and 1 at Point of Sale.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing this information.