1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Step 6: Should we waste Food or Just Stuff it in our body?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by geetadamle, Nov 18, 2010.

1. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Last year, I visited a temple with my husband. The management at the temple offers simple lunch of dal, roti, subji, rice, raita and some salad to its devotees. We took a plate from the stand and waited in a line for our turn to get food. We sat down to have our lunch. There was a thin old man sitting next to me. Before staring to eat, he closed his eyes and murmured something( I am guessing he said some prayers). Later he took out one morsel from each - dal, rice, subji, roti, raita and salad and kept it aside and then started eating. He finished rest of his plate but did not touch the food he had taken aside in the beginning. After washing hands on his way out, I politely told him that I had been observing him and why he did that. He said that the food he had kept aside was for the Gods and he does this every time he has food.

I smiled. I had got the answer. Today we eat till our stomachs are full and bursting. Let his reason be whatever, but the old man had definitely shown that one should always eat little less than his/her hunger.

So should we waste food? By all means No. Whenever possible we should not waste food. Try to serve yourself little lesser than your hunger. I do not recommend eating out, but in restaurants, try to order less or share food or carry it with you at home. At home cook lesser quantities, eat fresh.

And after following all this if you still have some food left in your plate and you know you have eaten enough, then do not stuff yourself. What is the point in stuffing your self and growing fat just because there are starving kids somewhere in the world? What good is your becoming fat going to do to those starving kids? You can send a picture of yourself fat to these starving kids with a note saying " hey guys at least you know that the food is not getting wasted. I am having it " Does this make sense?

So the point to remember is eat only as much as you really need at that time. In order to do this, take small portions of food in your plate at a time. Don't feel shy to say "NO" when you don't need any more food. You can store that food in your refrigerator instead of storing it in your body.

-Geeta
    Stay fit and help others to get fitter

2. Obsessivemom

Obsessivemom Bronze IL'ite

Geeta I so completely agree... My favourite saying: Better that food goes to waste than goes to waist... cooking less is the key.

3. Booni

Booni Junior IL'ite

yes vry good point, very interestingly explained.right from my childhood, i have seen my dad doing this,..he used to stuff leftover food, ..he has cholesterol now..

south indians eat rice...like sambar, rasam and then yogurt.if this is the case, we have to put 1 or 2 laddles of rice,and then divide into three smaller portions ...and then eat..than going for second or third serving.

if north indians, then eat first 2 rotis, with veggies and raita....it helps to fill the stomach...

i read somewhere that eating both rotis and rice is not a great idea.

if eating pasta, then adding lots of mixed veggies is a good idea, than loading it with cheese.

this way if we add some negative calorie stuff in our food like veggies, even if we eat more than required, we won't add the total calories on a daily basis....

4. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Dear Obsessivemom.. I totally agree with the saying you have posted :) Its so true.. :)

Dear Booni, Yes we have to learn portion control in our meals.. Thank you for your comment.. stay tuned :)

5. Rekish

Rekish New IL'ite

Dear Geeta, where can i see other steps?? i can see only step 5 & 6 in home page..

6. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Dear Rekish

I am surprised that you are unable to view the rest of the posts. Please try again at IndusLadies - Simple ways to go from FAT to FIT
    Let me know if you still can't see the rest of the posts.

Stay tuned :)
    -Geeta

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Very good one:) We tend to overeat mainly when we eat out.Because the portion will be normally larger than what we require and either we will be shy to ask them to pack it or they wont have such a service. End result ; feeling guilty to waste it we WAIST it!! But we do have a plenty of options not to overeat, either share your food {ask the waiter how much quantity will there be in a portion}than ordering one for each or parcel the rest of the stuff or finally if you cant help waste it. My fav quote is "WASTE IT OR WAIST IT!"

8. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi Geeta,
    Have you stopped blogging? No posts after Nov 2010?? Why so? Keep writing yaar...We need vocal supporters of healthy eating and living and who believe in it instead of talking superficially...Come on..Start blogging

9. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Hey Hridhaya.. Thank you for the encouragement!! Yea.. I have kinda stopped blogging.. I tried it for a couple of days.. Now I prefer posting on threads... But it is a good idea to start back though... Let me give it a try! Dont know when though :D You are a true sweetheart to pour in such kind words on a long lost blogspot... thank you for that :D

10. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Dear geetha

Motivating blog dear !!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers

As hridaya said, you should keep writing regularly.....!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

[​IMG]

We all need to see us as fit in the mirror and not vice-versa....!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to read more of your blogs !!!!!!!!:coffee