srimad bhagavatham in tamil

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by rharini8182, Feb 8, 2013.

1. rharini8182

rharini8182 Senior IL'ite

Dear friends,

I am planning to gift srimad bhagavadam in tamil to my parents. I would like to know which author is best...there are so many authors who had written it in tamil...I am confused to choose one. It should be simple to read and easy to understand. Kindly guide me.

2. chrishar

chrishar New IL'ite

I dont have the answer, but i must appreciate your choice of Gift. A great gift indeed.

3. Sugopidevidasi

Sugopidevidasi New IL'ite

Dear Harini,

You have been inspired by the Lord Himself to think of such a beautiful gift for your parents. Please accept my sincere appreciation to you. I would recommend you to please consider the Srimad Bhagavatam written by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada which has been translated in several Indian & foreign languages including Tamil. It is authentic and simple. The set consists of about 15-20 volumes. Your parents will surely enjoy reading them and it will be spiritually beneficial too.

If you are staying near Thiruvanmiyur, you can visit the Hare Krishna Movement centre. The Srimad Bhagavatam set of books may be available there. I am giving their address and contact details below:

No.63 1st Seaward Road Valmikinagar,
    Thiruvanmiyur
    Chennai - 600041 (Tamil Nadu)
    Phone:
    044-24455100 / 097890 57105

Hope this will be helpful to you.

Please convey my respects to your parents,

Best wishes,
    Sugopi

4. Sugopidevidasi

Alternately,
    you could also contact:
    Sankirtan Seva Trust (SST),
    Hare Krishna Hill,
    Chord Road, Rajajinagar,
    Bangalore-560010
    Ph: 080-23471956 (This is the reception number. I am not aware of the extension no.)

They have facility to courier to your address.

Hope this helps,
    Sugopi

5. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Dear rharini8182,

Good to know that you want to gift Srimad Bhagavatam to your parents.Before that one should have heard it narrated by a good pandit or acharya, which is called 'shravanam', and then the 'mananam', reading it remembering the narration.

Though many do pravachanam of this holy book, my favorite is Nochur Sri Venkatraman.

And the best book to read according to me is is by Sri Dongre Maharaj in Gujarathi, translated and distributed as prasad by the Ram Nam Mandali in the Ayodhya Mandapam, West Mambalam.You only have to donate a certain amount any buy note books for 'Ram' nama, you can get the book.

6. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear sugopidevidasi, i am planning to have "Ramayana" and "Mahabharata" book in my home to read and also to teach my children.
    are these epics also available written by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada? pls let me know.

7. Sugopidevidasi

Dear baby,

It is a very nice thing you want to do. Reading the pastimes of the Lord and His devotees narrated in Mahabharata and Ramayana are not only spiritually beneficial but they also teach us how to lead our lives in this birth.

I see you are from Mumbai. You may please visit your nearest ISKCON temple (Juhu or Chowpatty). You may find these books there. However, they will be authored by Srila Prabhupada's disciples and not by Prabhupada himself.

Srila Prabhupada has translated Bhagavadgita, Srimad Bhagavatam and Sri Chaitanya Charitamrta, apart from writing several other books on Krishna Consciousness. You can get these books also in the temple.

In Srimad Bhagavatam, Prabhupada gives beautiful and elaborate descriptions of the dealings of many devotees like Dhruva Maharaja, Prahlada Maharaja, Bhishmadeva, Kunti Maharani's prayers etc. Reading them is spiritually enlightening for both children and grown-ups. Of course,your children will need your help in reading and understanding them, which I am sure you will only be too glad to do.

Hope this helps,

Love and prayers to you and your children,
    Sugopi

8. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear sugopidevidasi, thank you so much for the reply. i live in abu dhabi (UAE). here also i have found some ISKCON devotees but not many. i would like to be connected with you too...pls tell me ur facebook name so that i can connect with you there.
    you said Srila Prabhupada's disciples have written these epics....i want to be more clear on the author of Ramayana and Mahabharata. could you please tell me which author's book is nice...simple, but very good. i am asking this for my reading purpose. pls reply. are you having Ramayana and mahabharata books at your home? if yes, which author's?
    also i am already having Srimad Bhagavatam written by Prabhupada. as you said it is very beautiful.

9. Sugopidevidasi

Dear baby1,
    I had seen these books in Juhu temple long ago. I am unsure of the authors.
    I am very sorry that I am unable to help you on this.

Glad to know that you too read Prabhupad's books. Please do share what you read in these forums. Will be very happy to discuss. I deactivated my facebook account as I was spending too much time there.

Love and Prayers,
    Sugopi

10. arvindamirth

arvindamirth New IL'ite

Dear Sugopi,

I need the தசம ஸ்காந்தம் in tamil slogan for tomorrow prayer is it possible for you to send it asap.

Thanks & Regards
    M.amirtharaj

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013