1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sridhar Mourns The Death of Sridhar!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    May Veteran-Director Sridhar's soul rest in peace..
    The movies you had mentioned were all gems in their own way..
    I also remember seeing him in some award giving function, I couldn't remember when..

sriniketan

2. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

dear sridhar sir,

though i dont watch any tamil movies nor i dont know the great director ,sridhar ,which i came to with all ur description about his works,
    may his soul rest in peace ,and may his family cope up with this great loss.

thank u,
    shashi.

3. smileypooja

smileypooja Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti...

How did you choose that as your title...:spini was confused ..i just logged in and this is what i get to see...i just love the way you write and express your works...some make me laugh,cry,think....anyways...i dont have much idea about this director called sridhar as i am from hyderabad..i have no clue about him...but came to know about his greatness after reading your post...

Let his soul rest in peace...

have a great day...

pooja.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Oh Sridhar,
    you are impossible! I opened the forum after a couple of days and got the shock of my life. May you live long! I would say in Hindi- aapko meri umar bhi lag jaaye.
    Yes, the passing away of Director Sridhar is a real loss. His movies showed us the real love as it should be- unselfish and unconditional. Like your characters in ALS. Sacrifice was the norm for the loved one. No bad feelings in his films and all the characters were good ones. Who could forget Nenjil Oor Aalayam, Nenjam Marappathillai, Kalyana Parisu! In all these, live was not physical but purely divine. And the song, 'Sonnathu neethana?' And 'engirunthalum vaazhga'.
    In the Anandavikatan Depavali Malar, there is an interview with him by Aamir. I am yet to read it.

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mythili,

thanks for joining us in paying homage to a legend. Kalyana Parisu Thangavel comedy is immortal. His working for Mannar and Company and the bluffing his way as a writer.. my God, I would have laughed for that scene more than a hundred times. Even now it brings laughter and refreshes my mind.

Sridhar belongs to the beautiful yet short transition period. Before Sridhar, during MKT days, expression of love will be nothing but singing two full songs - complete with Aalapanai, kalpanaswaram and all. MKT won't touch his heroines (at least on the screen). But people came not to see but to hear his voice and beautiful songs.

Now love has gone to the other extreme. The way heros and heroines act in love duets, I always used to wonder whether they are using adequate contraceptive-protection while acting in a close-up love scene. You are right about today's songs. As an accountant I will rather merge the professions of dance-master and stunt-master into one. Only difficulty is today the latter profession is far less violent than the former.

In between these two extremes there was an era of soft love. Sridhar pioneered that era. In his movies the hero might touch the heroine and even hold her.But when he does that we'll have goosebumps in our body. Such was his Directorial perfection. I have cried seeing his love scenes.

Well, they named me after him. Even while I was quite young, I was told of this fact. That should have moulded my character. If only my father were a Zameedar, I would have studied Tamil literature straightaway. But could not afford it. But the die-hard romanticism stayed with me. And that comes out in my stories and writings. Even while engaged in hard-core professional work I can't throw away my romantic cap.

Thanks once again for joining us.
    love,
    sridhar

6. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear sridhar,
    I too wanted to do Tamil literature.I did take take that route and did B.A in Economics and postgraduated in the same discipline because,yes believe me,all my friends joined Economics major.Now I regret it.I could have done Tamil literature by correspondence but ,the pleasure of listening to an able lecturer is different.
    lve
    mythili

7. varalotti

Oh My Dear Kamla,

Then it is but proper that you should have started this thread! I am thrilled to know that you personally met him and even got a gift of a transistor from him. In those days it should have been a very precious gift. For we did not have a transistor till late sixties in our place. Having read your tribute my respect for my name-sake has increased manifold.

Well,he also brought in Jeyalalitha,Nirmala,Srikkanth and Vennira Adai Murthy. When he auditioned Hema Malini he told her on her face that her acting was not up to the mark.She shone in Bollywood. But could never make a mark in the Tamil movie world.

So your Dad was a distributor. And you have connections to the tinsel world! Didn't know that!
    Kathalikka Neramillai, what a movie it was! It was real humour. Even during the tense climax scene happening at the police station we will just be smiling at the characters.

You have a way with the words. This is a very touching tribute. That song was penned by one of the all-time greats Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram. A touching line in the song is the mother asking a kiss from her child on a loan basis. கன்னத்தில ஒண்ணே ஒண்ணு கடனாகத் தாடா

You have proved another theory of mine. When Kamla enters a thread she invariably outclasses the leader post. You have proved my theory. And I am pretty happy about it.
    Love,
    sridhar

8. visalamkrishnan

visalamkrishnan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar
    Don't give us a shock like this:shaking:. But as soon as i said to my DH , he said that he should be mentioning about Director Sridhar. he has seen Sridhar's death in the N paper . i don't know this news. God I really got a shock.
    Even though we will not watch & see movies, but i know this much that Director Sridhar is a legend In tamil cinema.
    Each one of the movies you had mentioned were all gems in their own way..
    Onga appa, amma sareya than ongalukku Sridhar nu pera vechu eruka. I think ur parents must be knowing well ahead that their D.son is going to become a Legend In Writing.
    pala pazatha mochuka Eeeeeeeeeeee ya azaikave vendam, adu pola neenga indamadere shock kuduthu yaraiyum koopda vendam. apparam viratave time erukadu( to reply every one) Big Laughkonjam overa illai? sorry, mannikavum.
    wishes,
    v.k.

9. varalotti

Sriniketan,
    Thanks for joining us in paying homage to the real legend.
    regards,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Dear sashi,
    Sridhar actually belongs to a much earlier generation. His works will be better appreciated by persons who should have been born between 30s and 50s.
    Like Balke,Satyajit Ray, Mrinal Sen and all, Sridhar is a class by himself. Had he been born somewhere in the North, he would have become world famous.
    Thanks for joining us in paying homage to the great legend, Sashi.
    regards,