1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spiritual Balance Sheet

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]I am being a Chartered Accountant by profession; I have a tendency to evaluate everything in terms of value. Once in my quest for finding more about spirituality, I contemplated more about the value of spirituality in our day to day life. In my contemplation, I figured out that spirituality should not be viewed in life as something that we need to pursue in addition to whatever we do in life and as a matter of fact, it should form part of our life. Our pursuit of passion we have in life, our relationship with our family members, friendships, construction of our own character, attitude, ability to handle pleasure and pain, decision-making, procreation and many other activities we do in our life should be a bye-product of our spiritual development. In simple terms, the spiritual quotient could be measured only in qualitative terms and not in quantitative terms as we do in case of intelligence quotient.

If we visualize a Statement of Income, Balance Sheet and Statement of Cash Flow forming part of a financial statement, we have positive and negative Karma determining the quality of our spiritual quotient and our objective to net some positive Karma in each life that could be carried over to the Balance Sheet. Similar to Balance Sheet, we do have liabilities and assets and our objective is to create a positive net worth or equity in our life that could be carried forward beyond one life time. Very similar to our objective to have a positive cash flow, our objective in spiritual life is to do more selfless actions that would be for common good of our fellow beings than selfish actions that would use up our net worth.

Statement of Income equivalent in spiritual field I call as Statement of Karma. Anything that we do to build our character such as day to day spiritual disciplines, positive attitude, control of inner and outer senses, synchronization of thoughts, words and deeds, performing our duties in life flawlessly with unconditional love, pursuing our passion as part of our life, etc. are considered as positive Karma. All other negative qualities we inherit as part of growing pain known as jealousy, anger, hate, ego, dependence on the world, pursuing desires, establishing and retaining attachments, committing sins to the fellow beings, etc. are negative Karma that we adjust against positive Karma. The net of this two sides should result in positive Karma and that precisely is our objective.

In Balance Sheet, we do have Vasanas from our prior life that is considered as long term debt. It is our objective to create enough spiritual wealth to pay up this debt and keep reducing this long term debt. We also have short term liabilities such as lack of spiritual information, lack of spiritual understanding and lack of spiritual experience that need to be offset by seeking Gurus who could provide guidance. The true single shareholder of our life is our consciousness and we need to use our God-given tools like body, mind and intellect to build shareholder’s value. We are born with an extraordinary value of consciousness inside of us and our goal is to realize the full potential of that value. It has five important characteristics such as Love (Prema), Truth (Satya), Right Conduct (Dharma), Peace (Shanti) and Non-violence (Ahimsa). We need to use those valuable assets in our life to increase the net worth of our consciousness. These are fixed assets God has given it to us at the time of birth. In addition, he also provides current assets that are a) contemplation of God, b) providing service to the species (not only human beings but include animals, insects and others) created by the Lord and c) connect with traditional knowledge (Akama Sastra) to invoke the power of knowledge that resides in us.

As we make progress towards joining the mission of God understanding that our primary objective is self-realization, we can achieve our goals in lesser life-cycle.[/JUSTIFY]

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Viswa sir
    I loved the concept of a spiritual balance sheet.:thumbsup
    For ease of understanding spirituality we need to draw an inference to something which we are more familiar with.

For a spiritual novice like me,this blog defines the purpose/goal of spiritualism.:bowdown

regards
    honeybee

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    In the spiritual balance sheet liabilities and assets should be completely nullified and there should be no carry forward in order to merge with the one and only Paramathma.!
    How nice it will be if we could make it!
    Love,
    PS

4. Viswamitra

Dear Honeybee,

Thank you for visiting this blog and your kind words. Everybody embeds spirituality in their lives different ways and my accountant's mind looked at it as a Balance Sheet.

Viswa

5. Viswamitra

Dear Mrs.Srinivasan:

Thank you for visiting this blog and for your valuable comments. As you rightly pointed out our goal is to achieve Paramatma for that we need to increase our Equity/Net worth to make it worthy for the Grace of the Lord.

Viswa

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nullifying the liabilities is an art that is gained by experience. The balance sheet starts to get balanced during self realization.

7. Viswamitra

Dear Ramya,

Well said. Our objective is to build net worth or equity which means the assets should exceed liabilities by a huge margin.

Viswa

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Viswa dear thanks for givng a thought provoking post

love
    viji

9. Viswamitra

Dear Viji Akka,

Thank you for visiting this blog and your appreciation.

Viswa