1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spiralling Backward!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

On a lazy sunday, I took up a task that I had been postponing before, for years. Cleaning my cup-board was not all that inviting to me, but I had to do it anyway. Some papers that I've kept for reasons that I could not remember now, went to the dust-bin first. Funny to note that I too would become old, unusable and hence stacked up one day.

My eyes rested on a small TV box with a slit on top. My thoughts spiralled backward at a frenzy pace. One of my uncles gifted it to me when I was 9 years or so and asked me to start saving money then. I still remember how much liked that idea and went from one person to another at home and asked some money to fill it up.

He had also started a small savings account in a bank in my name and showed me the pass-book to me. "If you save more, it will go into your account! When you grow up, you can buy whatever you want!". I still could recollect those words. My parents used to send me and one of my sisters to go and stay there a week or so, during summer holidays.

As you would expect, I was eagerly collecting the coins from others and put some of my own pocket money in it. It was a bit heavy soon and I started dreaming about the money that I will have one day. Three months later, when he paid a visit to my home, I took it to him and asked him to deposit the money. He accepted and later wrote a letter to congratulate me, saying it had Rs. 52-/- in it. That was a big money those days.

I was very proud and received the empty hundi again. But I was grown up a bit too, so I tried opening it, the other side. There was a brand new twenty rupee note in it.

Now he is no more, but the hundi is. Later I came to know that he paid Rs. 20-/- for every quarterly period to my account, though I never gave him back the filled hundi again.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Reading this blog yours reminded me of my school days. I was around 10 and my brother 8.
    [​IMG]

My father opened a SBI Kids Bank account in our names. We felt great when his friend whom we kids call " SBI uncle" comes home. once in a month he used to check and update our passbook. Our coloured money boxes were designed like a beehive.
    All our vishu kaineettam money and 1 rupee, 2 rupees and even 5,10 paise coins were going into that beehive for about a year or two.

I dont remember us putting any coins in after that ....may be becos SBI uncle was transferred or that scheme itself was withdrawn.

Whenever we needed money to buy panju mittai, rose milk sachet and Big Fun Bubblegum we used to just turnover the beehive box and shake it vigourously to get the coins out...:idea

Rupee notes were very loyal to the bank...they never came out until someone from bank came home and handed them over to my dad.

3. rgsrinivasan

Nice to know about a bit of your childhood memory Sunitha. Yes, the zeal with which we start collecting coins for the hundi, vanishes fast, like the ice-cube out of freezer. Thanks for your feedback with the relevant image. -rgs

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai RGS,

A very nice COLLECTION of Memories and coins. It is always good to have savings habit. Those days elders
    are encouraging the small children in this way only.
    thanks for sharing RGS. too good

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your nice feedback Sreema. Yes. We saved initially, but after that, its spend all the way [even today. only 1 credit entry per month (salary) - rest all are debits :) ] -rgs