1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Spice Grinder in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nivedi, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Can someone here recommend a good spice grinder ( a non-Indian brand) that I can buy here in the US?

Does anyone use a coffee Grinder for grinding spices and if so, which brand would you recommend?

The reason I am asking this is that I have a Hamilton-Beach processor that I can use only for wet grinding. It's blade is upward facing and it does not grind powders well.

1 person likes this.

2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I use "Proctor silex" spice grinder which does a great job for spices,chutney powders etc.I have been using it for 2years now.Its good and inexpensive.I got it for $8.U will get it for $5 on sale.I also heard that kitchenaid spicemill is also good.Its of ur choice which to select.I went by price and my friends review about proctoro silex.

Cheers,
    vaishu

3. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi, Nivedi,
    I use Black & Decker's Smartgrind coffee grinder for rasam powder, sambhar powder, dhaniya powder, and also for shredding coconuts. I am using it for the past two years and i do not have any problem since then. It is 12$ + tax. You will not regret buying it. I bought it in Walmart.
    Sindhuja

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Even ' Braun' brand- coffee grinder works good. It is available in Walmart too. But I don't remember the price.
    Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  5. vaishnavilakshmi

Hi sindhuja,

Do u shred dry coconut or fresh coconut?Normally spice grinders are for dry grinding purpose.Just want to know if u shred fresh coconut in it??

vaishu

6. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

I use one by Proctor and Silex and it is great for grinding spices. I have a follow up question regarding spice grinders - does anyone know if we can buy spice grinders here to be used in India so that it complies with the voltage, etc. I was wondering if I can get one online at some of the indian stores that specialize in appliances to be used in India? Thanks

1 person likes this.
  7. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi, Vaishu,
    I shred fresh coconut. I shred medium (half the size of my pinky finger) pieces. Hope that helps.
    Sindhu

8. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Many thanks Vaishu, Sindhuja, Sriniketan and Shoba for your prompt replies. Hopefully this week-end I will get to do the spice grinder shopping.

9. vaishnavilakshmi

Hey wow sindhu,

I never knew that we can shred fresh coconut in a spice grinder,coz it is supposed to use only for dry ingredients.Does the manual say,u could do that???

Vaishu

2 people like this.
  10. rekhas

rekhas Senior IL'ite

The dry grinder cover starts chipping off in my experience after a while. Have any other IL experienced this?

1 person likes this.