South Indian Restaurants in London?

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by amudha, May 11, 2005.

1. l_janaki

l_janaki New IL'ite

hi,
    Try one of these
    1. chennai dosa, east ham & wembley
    2. sangamam, wembley
    3. saravanabhavan in east ham
    4. vasantha bhavan in east ham
    5. madras dosa in east ham

Hope by now you might have got taste of south indian food before my post. Enjoy food. thanks.

Janaki

2. srini

srini New IL'ite

Hi Janaki, Many thanks for the message, can i tell you i have gone one step further and started cooking veg foods myself and surprisingly this ( usually ) comes out well for me.
    { I hope i dont have to remind you of the old saying in tamil - Kakkaikum thun kunju pon kunju }
    So any way i tried quite a few of tehm but settled off with Saravana Bhavan and the Suvai opposite to tube in eat ham ( During the month ends)
    Many thanks for the mail
    cud u pls write if you have the recipe for More Kulambu which is one thing i havent tried,

many advance thanks for this

Srini

3. synonm

synonm New IL'ite

hi ! newbie here ( ended up via good old google search for south indian rest )

Here are few in south Indian restaurants in south London (all around Wimbledon area ) that we have tried.

#Radhakrishna Bhavan (Tooting - excellent for Dosa)
    #SriKrishna Inn (Ewell, bit far from sw19 but worth the travel)
    #Sadya ( Upper Tooting - again nice veg stuff)
    #Sri Krishna ( Tooting - lots of variety in veg )
    Vijaya Krishna (Tooting )
    Cocum (Raynes park )
    Onam (tooting )

--others tried --
    Pallavi ( Twickenham )
    #Sagar (Twickenham) -veg thali is superb

# - means gone there more than twice and recommended . Hope this helps

Bon appetite !!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Welcome to Indusladies, Synonm! You are all lucky living in London and getting to have South Indian food for choice as well.

I have been in the UK for 2 years now and I have yet to taste S.I food other than that prepared by myself or my cousin!

My husband is lucky enough to go to Bangalore every other month, so he doesn't really miss eating Indian food outside.

Well, the remedy I think is having a south Indian restaurant in Milton Keynes where I live. I guess I have to open the restaurantBig Laughand I will be the only customerBig Laugh.

Sindhu

5. synonm

synonm New IL'ite

Thanks for the welcome, Sindu.
    Lucky hubby!. Nothing beats the taste of south indian food especially those using ingredients like fresh cocunut, ground corriander, fresh paste of ginger/garlic etc and such dishes are still a rarity in UK restaurant menus. Our taste buds are now slowly getting used to even anglicised version of south indian food.
    My wife is still learning in that dept :)

No south Indian restaurants in Milton Keynes ?. If you could hold your appetite for 20 or 30 mins there is one in Northampton called Dosa hut. From the name, its looks pretty much like a south Indian outlet( found in yell.co.uk search )

For variety or various options, you would probably have to get to Wembley - which is like 45 mins away

MK is such an iconic central town with many wealthy desis I wonder why no has thought of opening a dosa corner ? Good business prospects hah? :coffee

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Thanks Synonm. Will definitely have a look into it.

Yes, had been there to see the Swaminarayan temple. And then, snacked so much in the temple canteen / sweet shop that we did not have any appetite for any further eats! So was not lucky there.
    Definitely, a good business idea!

Sindhu

7. lakari

lakari New IL'ite

If any body tried Taste of India in Eastham?

Try out there, its good, Moreover the services is very good comparitively Chennai Dosa and Saravana Bhavan.

Thanks and Regards,
    Lakshmi

8. TrueLove

TrueLove New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I feel that East Ham is one point for all good south indian restaurants. We've tasted in all south indian/srilankan restaurants except for a few. As all know Chennai dosa, Vasatha bhavan, Saravana bhavan are good. The latest addition to these is the Hydrebadi Spice in East ham. Myself and my hubby had Briyani there and its too good and very filling also. Girls you can enjoy a good lunch/dinner with ur hubbies.. only problem is place is so small and you end up waiting. But patience pays off :mrgreen:

Not only south indian restaurants.. srilankan restaurants like Thaykam and Priya are also good. Especially Thaykam restaurants buffet is good and worth paying...

Enjoy...:2thumbsup:

9. anithakk

anithakk New IL'ite

hi,

There is a south indian delivery in milton keynes.....it is called mk dosa....u can just google it......they have dosa and other south indian variety.....

try it out....do let us also know if there are others too....

10. DaffodilGirl

DaffodilGirl New IL'ite

Hi Amudha,
    I have tried Saravana Bhavan in Rayner's lane, quite close to the Rayner's lane tube ststion on the Piccadilly line.
    Sagar - in Covent Garden and Goodge Street, they have one in Hammersmith too, but haven't been there.
    I Like Indian Deli - Tamildownunder mentioned it, the one opposite Hounslow West tube station.
    Also try Melam(non-vegetarian) which is in Hounslow, if you like Kerala food.
    My DH likes Melam as he is SriLankan and Kerala food has its similarities to Srilankan food.