1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SOS: 51 32N, 0 5W; Middle of Crisis..HELP ME !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sabitha_K, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dearest Mithila,

People call you endearing as 'Amma' , 'Ji' and 'Ma'am' with respect.I always prefer to call you Mithila not to disrespect you, but you as a writer have influenced me more with your ferocious pen which produces amazing posts than in any other form or role.

Not only with my wit and humour but having wonderful people like you around will make the bumpy ride ahead a smooth glide.Though the writers are not palpable but their posts are perceivable to make these virtual relationships one of the most cherished ties in my life today.

Thanks a bunch for making your presence felt here.I hope things have settled at your end now and did I ever mention how much I love reading your narratives on Anandhis and Anjalis of our lives.I might not have sent a FB :hide: but I do read all your posts.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha

The difference between mid-life crisis and old age is that the former makes you break into some hitech biological poem full of nano-planktons and infesting ivy whereas there are no such compulsions at the dawn of dusky old age! You just look for an impressive quote of an obscure author and append it to your signature like I have done:
    Senility is the stage when we stop lying about our age and start bragging about it!

At middle age, a celebrated blogger like you is under constant compulsion to produce something original and make it impressive too but spent forces like me who is merrily cruising along the silvery (silver-haired?) moon hardly need to tax our brains to produce something like you have done! My mouth fell open at the mention of nano planktons and infesting ivy and is yet to return to normal.

A relative of mine once met with a near fatal automobile accident but by the grace of God survived it. One of his friends visited him at the ICU and looked very relieved. He came out and told us that it was a miracle and a great relief that all the injuries were internal and he wouldn’t have to bear any permanent scares of external injuries! Having seen many an accident victim swathed in bandages from head to foot in movies, he was greatly relieved that his friend was free of bandages. We were worrying sick that his seriously damaged brain and other internal organs should not leave him permanently incapacitated and here the friend of the victim went round thanking God for the absence of external injuries!

It is because of this mindset that the foot prints that our advancing years may leave on our alabaster body cause us great anguish and we seem hardly bothered about the possible damage they may cause to the core functions of the body including our intellect. At the midlife stage, a plethora of gadgets and cosmetics are available to minimize the damage caused by the stealthy voyage of years over our vulnerable torso but at old age, the damage is irreversible and that is the time that we take a philosophical look at the whole scenario. We make up for our physical shortcomings by posing like an intellectual Colossus. We talk of perspectives , we talk of mind over matter, we cite guys like Dr.Deepak Chopra and his Ageless Body and Timeless Mind! What an escapist waste of time! We fondly hope that Deepak will eventually put the clock back and take us back by thirty years!

Your inability to grapple with the name of that damned Icelandic volcano has nothing to do with midlife crisis. Had the locals known that the volcano would someday open up and throw out all its pent up emotions causing it to become an overnight celebrity, they would have named it a bit easy on our pronunciation. I always tell people to name their children with something simple which everyone can pronounce correctly. We don’t want them to miss the Nobel Prize because King Harald V of Norway cannot pronounce their names properly or improperly! You may have observed that most of the people prefer to write about this volcano than speaking about it. While you write about, all you need to do is to cut and paste its name, a facility unavailable when you are orally communicating about it!

As a man who has weathered all these stormy seas during my journey through life, I can confidently tell you that nothing will ever be a crisis. A fat shapeless baby can be a winner in a bonny baby contest. The same may work against us in youth and middle age when people may ridicule us for carrying all that extra flesh. At old age, no one even notices! All crises are only in our minds!

Sri

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:biglaugh:biglaughyou thought I am such a rude ruler of Egypt????
    Unfortunately no corcodiles in the Nile so people are safe about it...hehehe
    You will not believe I am a grand mom...hehehe whenever I go to my native my bhabhies ask my grand dd to call me ajji and I keep showing big eye to her and tell her no sweety call Athya not ajji and alway have nice tu tu mein mein with my bhabhies and my cousin bros come in between and tell you people are fighting like cats and dogs:crazy:biglaughbut that love between my bhabhies and myself is just unique.

4. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Grace,

Looks like you enjoyed reading from head to toe of my post right from title to addendum.
    Thanks for your encouraging feedback.

You bet ! I am more happy to be back in the august presence of such wonderful people.

Once again, thanks for taking time out to pen your valuable feedback:thumbsup

5. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Yo Paddy ! :banana:hiya

Hold on..I think I hurt my elbow with that hi-fi I just gave you....

I had to read your feedback not once or twice but in total thrice.Yes, I want to read it as many times as possible to make sure that I haven't missed out any anything.The paragraph is one of the profundest posts I have seen in IL.Every sentence was beautifully written oozing wisdom interspersed with proprietary Paddy's wit.No one can beat you in this department !

Psst..I never told you the reason I came to visit you.Today I am letting the cat out of the bag.I was sent by the IL secret service to run a background check on you to confirm that you were indeed a woman >20 years since we received a lot of complaints that a teenager in IL was masquerading as an elderly woman.Alas ! Everyone were shocked and some of the others are still coming to terms to accept that you are indeed what you are after I submitted my official report and photos to them.Not to mention the parallel investigation going on to find out how the hell do you manage to stay so active and enthusiastic , brimming and joy and energy in life.

Who needs a facelift with such uplifting words :crazy:spin:crazy

You summed it all up so well in :thumbsup

I have seen great posts here that overwhelm your mind and heart but little did I know that the power of the original post is manifolding by several times when a GREAT feedback like yours is followed.

P.S: Beware..one of these days the cosmetic companies developing anti-ageing products may raid your complex as you are bringing down their sales with such upbeat and simply superb ,motivational worded articles.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

My Magnolian Mindy,

Thank you ..thank you for the welcome warm to the club and now that I am in the gang, we need to change some rules , right ? No more pastoral colors and 60's songs.Let us get some hip-hop and paint the town burgandy.:banana

And that I believe is the greatest gift that life can give you which you have accomplished with elegance and grace :thumbsup.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Alpa,

No way ! You looking like an aunty.Only if I start looking like a granny, still I would doubt if you would look like aunty with your charismatic personality oozing confidence.

Thanks for stepping by and dropping your comments.

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Laks, ignorance is bliss ! So let us conclude that mid-life crisis hits at 50 and anything before that are small spikes in life which are prepping us for the BIG shock ahead.

Yes, we are teenagers at heart and IL is never allowing us to graduate to go to the next level.Probably this is one such place where I do not mind failing multiple times just to stay in this place forever.

A BIG ,FAT ,DOUBLE WHOOPER WITH EXTRA CHEESE THANK YOU !

I am honoured that my post has been nominated but am already rewarded because someone like you has nominated it.Bow

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey you Miss Word-wizard!

Before I say anything at all, thanks for sprucing up my vocabulary. Sat with the dictionary to get the full gist of the tasty tidbits of getting on in years! What.....did you just say that it was my age which was the cause of my confusion and not your words? Missy, jusss be careful, me not getting any older than need be!

"Aptly named 'mid-life crisis' , as the evidence is glaringly visible on the midriff where the stubborn fat decides to occupy illegally and lay its foundation ,and the mid-hair parting is trafficking by selling white goods with two for one offer.Everything that wobbles is sending you distress signal to be attended immediately lest you lose contact with it forever.You resent the innovativeness of cosmetic firms who could not invent a straightener to flatten those winking wrinkles !"

Now what was all that about? You made me think you were at least 49 and was a bit confused 'cause I have seen your pictures and you look no more than 19! It just maybe that you have the wrong mirror in front of you. Yes. One should not be looking at the magnifying mirrors. I seriously advice you to pay a quick visit to Selfridges and get hold of one of those really good mirrors which will reflect you the way you are!

Like Mindi said, the moment I noted the blog was by no less than our SabithaK, I was all ready for a treat and you never disappoint:) What a sense of humor and what fascinating style of writing. You are gifted! Besides, I also thoroughly enjoyed all the great fbs you have elicited!

Talking about myself, I kept addressing the matronly as 'aunty aunty' till it suddenly dawned upon me that 'the aunty' may be younger than me! :hide: It took some careful practice to stop that habit. And there is more dear girl. I take care when introducing other 'grannies' to my grandkids. It's always 'meet aunty so and so'. See, I don't believe in hurting anyone's egos.:mrgreen:

I remember my early days in IL. Chitvish repeatedly asked everyone to address her as Chitra and she also sounds like Chitra. But today, both her and me have come to terms with 'mam, madam, mami' etc etc....:drowning

So sweetheart, if you are in mid-life crisis right now, be warned, many more crises await you in the road ahead. Just have a jolly good ride!:thumbsup

L, Kamla

...and ofcourse, Congrats on being nominated for FP, like there was any doubt about that....

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  10. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

You are like the evergreen and effervescent Dev Anand and age somehow subjugated before you!
    No offence meant if you dislike him.:hide:

Right from your blog 'Good Old Days'..I was acquainted with the optimistic approach you take in life.The positive gains in life mentioned in your post with ageing are noteworthy:thumbsup.Who else can see such bright prospects in the dark days of life..and I really enjoyed reading your feedback.:)

I read the recent spate of networking you had with the blog friends here.I am glad that you are having nice time meeting everyone in real life.Hope to meet you someday when I come down to India..

P.S: Apologies for the belated response.

Last edited: May 9, 2010