1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry V/s Apologize

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Sep 12, 2021.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

SORRY V/S APOLOGIZE

Both these words have the same intent -feeling of guilt but the selection of words carries a different impact. As per the dictionary, Sorry is an adjective while Apologize is a verb. Verbs are stronger than adjectives like apologize for sorry. Say I apologize rather than I am sorry. It is because the verb describes an action and forms the main part of a sentence. Without a verb, there is no sentence. On the other hand, an adjective simply modifies a thing or person in the sentence.

Okay, let us try to recap and just make a wild guess. How many times you have said sorry, where you should have said I apologize? I guess 99 out of 100. We might have said- I am really sorry but rarely- I apologize.

Well in some situations 'sorry’ will do, like when you want your friend to repeat what he said but you could not listen because you were not attentive. These days it is a fashion to say sorry for many things like you want to overtake someone, you have no chance at a retail store and so on.