1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sorgam Sendraalum.... (Even if u go Heaven!!!)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AnithAnand, Mar 25, 2010.

1. AnithAnand

AnithAnand New IL'ite

It was a hot summer day. I came home late at around 7. I was damn hungry. I lurked around in the kitchen looking what was mom doing. She asked me, "What do you want for dinner?" I said, "Amma, make your special chinna vengayam (small onion) sambar and potato curry" with a smile on my face. I could see the smile on my mom's face. My mom always loved asking me that question because I would come up with an answer each time. I stayed there with her watching her peel the onions, boil the potatoes. While the pressure cooker whistled away to glory, I had finished telling how kavila had broken up with her third boyfriend and how Vimala always had to pick up a fight with me. We were starting another story, when mom realised that it is 8 and she must speed up for dad would start getting hungry. Then I helped her with the cutting and the dinner was ready. The famous onion sambar and potato poriyal. As usual, mom had made some vatthal to go with it. So, I had a stumptuous dinner with the food upto my throat. I just could not stop gobbling down the hot piping food. Dinner discussions went on and by around 9 I was done helping her and made my living room.
    Sitting at my favorite spot on the floor with my back resting on the couch, I switched on the TV and started moving from one channel to another. I loved not staying at a channel for long till I could find mental peace with the remote. By some time, I had settled on an old movie which I had seen may 18 times before this. By then, even mom had finished up in the kitchen and joined me sitting near me. "Amma", I started. She already knew what was coming. "Could you just stretch your legs, please, please, please?" She did not have a choice. I was good at it. So, then I would lie down on her lap. Here I am. There is nowhere else on earth I'd rather be. It is an amazing experience. Lying on her lap watching TV. After around half hour, mom is tired of me rolling around on her lap and shrugs me off. "Amma, amma" I shout behind her as she leaves, "One bedsheet and one pillow, please." "You dont have any other work, useless girl", she shouts before handing them over. "Sooper ma. Thanks." So, I lie down with my legs stretched and the movie starts getting interesting. After sometime, my mom comes and hands over a glass of milk and says, "How many times will you watch this thing? Go and sleep." "2 minutes ma, climax scene". Then I finish off the milk and while my way through the climax. I tell you these movies na. How many ever times you watch them, the climax is always very interesting. So, once the movie is over, I am suddenly fresh. Not sleepy at all. I get up and put the glass back and walk to the verandah. Man, wasn't it hot inside!!!
    Those narrow stairs leading to the house, I make my throne. Just as I settle down, the breeze starts to push. What a soothing feeling after a hot hot day!!! I sometimes think that the coconut tree in our garden likes me a lot. Just when I go and sit there at nights, it starts blowing that gentle breeze. Maybe it can read my mind. So mom joins me and we start our gossip sessions. I come to know how my mom's third cousin's daughter was being ill-treated by her mom-in-law. Then my American uncle was looking for marriage proposals for his son. So we discuss how Shyamala aunty's daughter would not be a bad idea. The discussion goes on from all the relatives, to neighbors, to how the good old childhood days were. By this time, small kids from the neighborhood, the aunt next door, Rasathi patti staying at the corner of the street have joined us. My grandmother sits at the corner applying chuna to betel leaves. She tells her stories from her childhood and the discussion goes on. Sometime into this, then Vinitha my friend asks if we should go for a walk. So, both of us set off on a slight walk, helps in digestion you know. By the time we come back, the congregation has dispersed and everyone is heading to sleep.
    So, I go in and then the fight of the night begins. I always think the pillows my sister is using are better than mine. I ask for them. She does not want to give however. The all-knowing mom again intervenes and says, "Here, take my pillow and give me yours. Now, go to sleep." So, finally after having gained so much knowledge in the day, I lie down and slip into one of my deepest slumbers. Not knowing a thing that happened, I wake at 9 the next morning. Even before, I am out after brushing, mom comes and puts a glass of piping hot filter coffee "Here, your coffee." "The best mom in the world", I place a kiss on her cheek.
    Thus, would be my weekend. Here I am. A know-it-all software professional. Onsite team for my team in the US. Will all this ever match the day in my routine I described above? "Sorgam sendralum, sontha oor pol oru sugam varuma" (Even if you are in heaven, will you get the peace of your home town??)

Note: When I was out of my city, I narrated the above.. J

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Anithanand,
    You said it right..all the incidents, the feelings, and the narration brought the whole picture to my eyes.
    Sorgam is always our country
    Sorgam is always our mom's lap
    Sorgam is always our mom's food..isn't it!

sriniketan

3. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear

Beautiful. very well narrated.

Wherever you go, our country is the swargam
    What all you eat there, our own type of food that too from the hands of our mother is the Amrutham.
    Who all you meet there, your mother is the Deivam.

Earezhu janmangal eduthaalum uzhaithaalum ammavirkendru naam patta kadan theeruma.

ganges

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Wow what a nostalgic incident. Well narrated, i really started imagining, your coconut tree, verandah. ammaod kapi, it can go endless.

enjoyed reading it very much.

Yes nothing can match our own home experience, wherever u are in the world, home is home and it is best.

5. AnithAnand

AnithAnand New IL'ite

Happy to see all your comments...
    East or West; Always Mom-Home is Best... :))