1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sophie Kinsella’s “The Undomestic Goddess”

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by vidraghu, Feb 3, 2010.

1. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG] A recent novel which i came across….

I read a book by Sophie Kinsella’s “The Undomestic Goddess”. It was a very nice story. The story line is:

Samantha is a high grade lawyer in London. She works all hours, has no personal life and cares only about getting a partnership. She thrives on the pressure until one day…… she makes a mistake which is so huge that it wrecks her whole career.

She walks right out of the office, gets on first train she sees, and finds herself in middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she is mistaken for the interviewee housekeeper and finds herself being offered the job. They have no idea of being hired a Cambridge eucated lawyer with a high IQ. She has no idea of how to work on the washing machine.

Disaster continues. It’s chaos as Samantha battles with the oven… ironing board… and attempts to cook a great dinner too. But gradually, she falls in love with her new life in a wholly unexpected way.

The author was able to describe her battle of consequences in such a interesting way that we are not able to divert away from the crux. It was too good..

Finally, she was able to decide what she wants. She accepts her hands of her lover(Nathaniel)whom she met when she was working as a housekeeper.

I liked the way she handled the story.It was a beautiful one…

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Dear Vidhya, thank u for the wonderful way you described the book - I have already made a note of this book so that I can ask my librarian to get this book. Will let u know how I liked it!

3. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

@Gayathri: Nice to know that u liked the story... Thanks for adding ur views!!!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

This book is fantastic. It made me laugh so much and I completed it in 2 days flat. I would really recommend reading this book. Its just made domestic life specially cooking look so wonderful.

5. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vidraghu
    nicely explained the story. It seems Samantha's character is nice. Thanks for sharing

6. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

@skchivukula & @shiva: Thanks for piping in ur lines...........

7. Radheshyam

Radheshyam Senior IL'ite

Good recommendation. Loved the book. Thanks !

8. karunamurty

karunamurty Bronze IL'ite

Hello Vidraghu,
    You made the story quite interesting. I made a note of this book and will read it as soon as I can get it.

9. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

I had made a requst to my library and they are still fooling around and not getting a book!! Ha, I went into a quest to search for an online version - and alas, found one (and with some difficulty I must say!),. But will be reading it soon now :)

10. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Its a fun,quick & entertaining read .If you dont mind the unrealistic twists & turns or dont take the story seriously you will enjoy this book by the author of Shopaholic series.

Gayathri, hope you get to read it soon.