soft idlis even in winter

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Traveller, Dec 22, 2007.

1. sasisenthil

sasisenthil New IL'ite

Hi All,

I like to add a suggestion here. The urad dal ratio depends on the rice we use.. sometimes the idli will go flat due to over urad. We can make it out only thru' few trials. When the Idli is hard.. try to add more urad dal next time and use baking powder too. In winter, can add left over rice batter or curd for inducing fermentation.

Sasirekha

2. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

help me make idli/dosa again!!!!!!!!

Hi ,

Does anybody here has/had used Uncle Ben's long grain rice for making Idli/dosa's?.Because of the recent rice shortage i ended up buying Uncleben brand but the batter i made was horrible. Firstofall ,i couldnot even grind the rice properly which made me think that something was wrong with the mixie.Then i realised that it was the rice.I just trashed it.I used the ratio 3:1/2 of longrain:Full urad dhal.Earlier i used to make using local brand of Long grain rice and dosa/idli's were atleast eatable.But now i have a big bag of uncleben's long grain rice that i dont know what to do:hide:.So experienced ladies please help me to sort this out .Witsend

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Selvi,

I haven't used Uncle Ben's... but may be you could try soaking it for longer period of time. Even with parboiled rice that i buy from Indian groceries I sometimes have noticed that each rice soaks differently. Do let us know the outcome:)

Latha

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Have any body tried making idli's or dosai's with Long grain Raw rice....? Does it work out good for making the same or can it be used as we do for making normal idlis.

cheers
    vaidehi

5. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Selvi

Uncle Ben's does not grind well, rather becomes sticky. Instead of soaking, I used to dry powder the rice and add it to ground urad. This way the rice is like idli rawa. Try that and let me know.
    Vaidehi
    You can use long grain rice to make dosa.I prefer idli rice for idlis.

6. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Hi Latha,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.Even the first time i tried i have soaked the rice for almost 4-6hrs for the 3cups rice ratio.But it didnt seem to help.So this time i am planning to do the way usha has suggested.

Will u keep u updated about my little experiment.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  7. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Hi Usha,

Your idea sounds great.Can u please let me know the proportion that u use for dry rice: Urad dhal.?.Let me try your way and see if it could work for me too.

Thank you so much.

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Selvi,
    of late, I have been using idli rice : urid dal in the proportion 3:1 with aval and methi seeds. I have tried uncle Ben's a long time ago, when idli rice was not available at the place where we lived. I had the same problem as you and my mom suggested this method while she visited me. You can try using the same proportion.

9. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Usha,

Thank u very much for the prompt reply.Will try it out and get back to u all soon.

10. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Usha,

It didnot work out for me.I tried various proportions but yet not successful in making proper atleast eatable kind of idli's and dosas.So i decided to give up and planning to use the Uncle Ben's brand for regular rice cooking.I immediatedly bought my regular brand Longgrain rice and made nice dosa's yesterday after a long time:drool.My hubby and son liked it very much.So now i feel happy and relaxed.:idea

Anyway ladies thank u very much for all your valuable ideas.I very much appreciate them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008