soft idlis even in winter

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Traveller, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Re: regarding making soft iddlis

hihihihihihihihi..

4 years.. thats is.. no one can enter the kitchen then..Big LaughBig Laugh

Krithika.. they say we need to do the rice first and then the urad because.. that way... its easier for you to take all the maavu.. rice maavu will be all over the place.. but urad will kinda grab everything .... patti advice ;)

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: regarding making soft iddlis

Hi Nandhu,

Usually I soak rice and dhal in warm water in the ratio 4:1. I've never added Poha or vendhayam.

Can you tell me how much Poha and Vendhayam do we need to add to the rice while soaking? (4 cups of idly rice)

Btw, next time I will try grinding rice first and then dhal...:)

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

3. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

hello jithiks,
    I add vendhayam to the urad dal after washing it.U can add raw ...but since sprouts are always nutritious and is ready already soaked, it serves dual purpose.And thirdly if the rice is only 3 cups both the dal and rice can be ground together in the 'ultra' 1 1/2 lr grinder.It comes out well.And one more thing whatever be the quality of the boiled rice if we add a handful of raw rice while soaking rice to 3 cups of b.rice idlies wont disappoint you.And finally adding soaked poha or cooked rice (a ladleful) guarantees soft idlys.It is my own experience.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Jithiks,

for 3 rice:1 dhal proportion i add a teaspoon of vendhayam to the dhal (as kaluputti says after washing the dhal.. no need to wash the vendhayam). And to the rice I add a handful of poha (i wash the poha once along with the rice because it has dirt here). I too grind the rice first same reason as Nandshyam says.

And I'm surprised that grinding together rice and urad (that too finely) gave good idlis. I tried that twice and my idli were hard only dosas could be made. I found for me grinding rice coarsely (not too coarse but not soft either) gives the best result :hide: LATHA

5. kaluputti

Hi,
    While grinding rice and dal together,the end result should be a thick consistancy, but the next day just before making idlies, the batter should be stirred well adding enough water, so that it is fluffy and when pured from the ladle, should flow easily.Actually i had been grinding both seperately,but my DIL. suggested that i could do like this and i found it very convenient.:idea

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends,
    one idea was given by my cousin's friend-----whatever proportion be the urad dhal, for eg. say 1 cup., pour 3 cups of water in the grinder to grind it....and do the rice as usual...
    Usually i soak the urad dhal and keep it in the fridge for an hour and grind as said before...
    it comes out good just as 'malligai poo'...

sriniketan

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Kaluputti & traveller,

Thanks for your tips using vendhayam and poha for grinding idlis.

As traveller mentioned, I am surprised that how grinding the dhal & rice gives soft idlis.
    Usually we need to grind them separately and then mix them finally before fermentation..right?

Cheers
    Krithika

8. kaluputti

hi jithiks,

mostly rice and dal shd be ground seperately.But I have heard from 'daily idly breakfast' type of people that it can be ground together also, and it works!!Computer Typing

9. kavimani

kavimani New IL'ite

Hi,

I m living in NJ & it will very useful for me
    Thanks for ur useful tips...

Bye,
    Kavimani.

10. sasisenthil

sasisenthil New IL'ite

Hi All,

I like to add a suggestion here. The urad dal ratio depends on the rice we use.. sometimes the idli will go flat due to over urad. We can make it out only thru' few trials. When the Idli is hard.. try to add more urad dal next time and use baking powder too.

Sasirekha