1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

So?!!!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Syamala
    Paul Brunton's book is about his 'Search in secret India'. He also wrote on his 'Search in Secret Egypt'. When Paul Brunton came to meet Bhagwan Ramana in 1935, there was another great soul who was with the two. You know who? Swami Yoganand Paramahans! Brunton himself was almost a Rishi who was constantly looking out for the mystics of the world.

If Paul Brunton visits India today, he might meet our politicians and fake Swamijis, and would have surely written a book on 'Secret Life of India'! His conversations with them would last for days unlike his conversation with Ramana Maharshi in which literally no words were spoken.

A belated Ugadhi greetings to you!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Kerman, my dear!
    So how is life with you? Lame FB? What else can you give for a lame thread? So your brother also is a So addict like me? 'So' is actually the most powerful word in existence in English language. With just that word, I have handled even seminars and workshops very effectively. If a junior officer explains his poor performance giving some valid reasons, and if we do not want to agree with him but show our sterner side to him, we do not have to give him a dressing down. We just need to look at him intensely and shoot a 'So?' at him, he'll surely be unnerved and collapse!

I am so happy that you are following my footsteps! My stand is surely vindicated!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Was Swami Yoganand Paramahansa there? If I am not wrong there is an Ashram in San Diego which I visited in memory of Swami Yogananda Paramhans.
    I still remember the first time Paul Brunton meets Ramana Maharshi.....not even a single word spoken! Ramana Maharshi sees Brunton...their eyes meet....that's all and he finds his peace!!!! Yes, for such salvation the receiver also should have noble qualities and a fit person! I did not read "Search in secret Egypt". Heard about it.

Thank you for the greetings. Tomorrow is Tamil New Year. I wish you and your family a Happy New Year.

Syamala

4. Cheeniya

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    I watched the video......all the three. Very great.

Thank you very much.

Syamala

6. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    You have really got me obsessed with the Zen quote of ‘Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water’. My mind is going round and round this saying and I marvel at this simple truth of perfection. I am a great fan of Chuang Tzu’s short stories which Osho quotes regularly. This story is the one I read in his Wisdom Stories.

Prince Hui's cook was cutting up a bullock. Every blow of his hand, every heave of his shoulders, every step of his foot, every thrust of his knee, every whshhof the bullock's torn flesh, every chhk of the chopper, was in perfect harmony— in rhythm like the dance of the Mulberry Grove, simultaneous like the chords of the Ching Shou.
    “Well done!” cried the Prince.
    “How did you ever achieve such skill?”
    “Sire,” replied the cook, “I have always devoted myself to the Tao. It is better than skill. When I first began cutting up bullocks, I saw before me simply whole bullocks. After three years of practice, I saw no more whole animals. And now I work with my mind and not with my eye. When my senses bid me stop, but my mind urges me on, I fall back upon eternal principles. I follow such openings or cavities as there may be, according to the animal's natural physique. I do not attempt to cut through the veins, arteries, and tendons, still less through large bones.”
    “A good cook changes his chopper once a year— because he cuts. An ordinary cook, once a month— because he hacks. But I have had this chopper nineteen years, and although I have cut up many thousands bullocks, its edge is as if fresh from the grindstone. For at the joints there are always crevices, and the edge of a chopper being without thickness, it remains only to insert that which is without thickness into such a crevice. By these means the crevice will be enlarged, and the blade will find plenty of room. It is thus that I have kept my chopper for nineteen years as though fresh from the grindstone.”
    “Nevertheless, when I come upon a hard part where the blade meets with a difficult section, I proceed with caution. I fix my gaze and go slowly, gently applying my blade, until with a Hwah! the part yields like earth crumbling to the ground. Then I take out my chopper, and stand up, and look around, and I wipe my chopper and put it carefully away.”
    “Bravo!” cried the Prince.
    “From the words of this cook I have learnt how to take care of my life.”

There cannot be a better explanation for an enlightened worker!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

do you know how happy I am to know that this zen quote has you obsessed? I am thrilled to have a fellow traveler. This quote has stood me in good stead as I try to weave through the different curves that life throws, at a very basic human and earthly level. I am still amazed and like you obsessed, with this quote as I try to bring that meditative nature to my day, every day to some part of it at least.

Thank you for that lovely story. I have to confess. I have read it twice already since you posted and I know I need to read more times and often, to finally allow it to sink in completely. And then when I look at myself and try to brush off the understanding and doubt again, I will again try to remember what Don tells Richard - "Richard don't forget what you did today. It is easy to forget our times of knowing, to think they've been dreams or old miracles, one time. Nothing good is a miracle, nothing lovely is a dream".

And sir, I know I can continue to count on hearing more on this subject as you continue to ruminate!

2 people like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I just came here to wish you and Manni a very Happy New Year and to seek your blessings. You may say why at this time why not early in the morning. Ya I should have done that first thing in the morning but from morning I had been busy about which I had written in my thread Vishu. Now after writing another thread I saw this thread of yours so thought of wishing here.

9. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    When your greetings landed in my PC, I was fast asleep! Thank you for your loving greetings which I heartily reciprocate. I blessed you in my heart yesterday itself when I was saying my prayers yesterday. You will always be in my prayers as my wonderful sister.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks my dear Anna . You made my day by saying that you blessed me while saying your prayers. I felt very happy and I am blessed to be your sister