1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

So, How Were You Judged On Your Parenting Choices?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Rakhii, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I will go first.

Yesterday we were at the Niagara Falls. As most of you know temperature drops drastically around the falls area. My LO was sick but we had to go there (don't ask me why. That will get me started and you wont be able to stop me). my LO vomited. he was also sweating and crying and over all hot all over.
    Before going outside to the parking lot, I tried to bundle him up. I REALLY tried. You know, i am one of those moms who thinks to herself (wont say it loud though) that "he may catch a cold". He kept kicking his hands and legs and would not let me bundle him.
    I tried a throw. he threw it like a rag doll.
    I gave up and started pushing the stroller towards the car.

Then out of no where an old lady (you can ask the race) started yelling at me for bringing him out in the cold without a jacket. She was really upset at me. I told, ma'am I tried. I really did. She went on and on....made me feel like a crappy mom. I tried not to let it bother me. It still bothers me.

Your turn.

NoTakeMyCamelYr and anika987 like this.

2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I have two sons - 5.5 yrs n 3 yrs. I have a support system at home to take care of them. I go to dance classes two days a week.

That makes me a bad mom. A mom is supposed to think only of her kids after they are born but not of herself.

Ealier I used to sit n cry sometimes but now I have started to ignore all those comments.

anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Aah, last week. LA airport, super-delayed flight. What was supposed to be a 1.5 hr layover extended to well over 6 hours. 8.30 PM and 2.5 more hours for our flight. My husband and I were exhausted after trying to see if we could get on an earlier flight, but nothing worked out. We were flying in from another country, so we had to go through immigration and customs and re-checking of bags etc. and had to walk across terminals to look for alternative flights etc. We finally gave up and reached the gate we were supposed to be at and found 2 empty chars by sheer luck! My older DD - 6 yr old was quietly sitting reading her book. My little one - 2 yr old had gotten all her rest while we were going through the process of re-checking our bags and walked through the security etc, and was now super active. She wasn't being disruptive or anything, but just running around and being silly. We tried as much as we could to contain her, but the gates were all crowded and people's bags were everywhere. Older lady (you can ask the race!!) gave us such a disapproving look and kept shaking her head looking at my little one running here and there, rolling her eyes and muttering something while doing that. I apologized and tried to hold my daughter, but it did not seem like it would work. I did not want her to start screaming/crying which would have been worse for all the people there.

There was another family with a slightly older child who was calmly sitting and his parents had him entertained with an iPad. While the other family got nods and approving smiles from the lady, we got stared down A LOT with raised eye-brows and shaking head etc. We felt extremely judged and were wishing we had a magic wand we could wave to make my child sit in one place. When it got a little too much, I whisked her away and took her to a further end where about 40 minutes was spent going up and down an escalator. Another 20 minutes was spent walking around the airport when we finally got called for boarding! Never have I been so anxious to get home from a vacation!!

sindmani, anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I been raised extremely depended and I felt that made me lack confidence even now. When I raised my DD, it was very important for me that she should not be like me and must be self confident and very independent.

Her 16 th birthday was arranged by herself, ( calling the venue, event planner, cake etc) One of the girl ( 16 year old) who had attended the party went and bitched her mom saying its was my DD who arranged everything, her parents (Me and my DH) acted as if we were "guest". Her mom told someone saying we are not too involved in my DD's life and what she did not know that that someone is my BFF :) .

One thing I'm very proud about my DD is she is very confident and independent ( at times a bit more than I want her to be) and she never bitch about anyone. As of now, I feel I did a decent job with her.

sindmani, Laks09, PavithraS and 5 others like this.
  5. Rakhii

please tell me the race...lol

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through this. I can totally relate to everything you said....I was in your shoes.
    Similar thing happened to us. My then 9 month old won't stop crying. It was so bad that I cried holding him, turning away from people.
    Since then I made up my mind that if a mom is facing what we have been through, I will make it a point to walk over and say a kind word.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  6. Rakhii

You really did a good job raising her :)
    There is no winning at all. You raise her to be independent, you get judged. You raise her dependent, you still get judged.

sindmani and JustAnotherMom like this.
  7. Rakhii

Are you learning dance or teaching? Both of them sound equally exciting. Am I glad to hear you are getting some me-time.

sindmani and beautifullife30 like this.
  8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

My 5 year old DD looks slight. All I'll say is I try to be a sensible mum giving her child sensible food and ensure she has enough physical activity. She's tall and thin and lithe.

Indians (I'm not playing the race game!) tell me she is weak and she needs more ghee butter and sugar in her body. And they also tell me I'm squeezing all the joy out of her life by not offering her chocolates and sweets and crisks and fries.

I'm also being regimental (and squeezing the joy out of her life) by asking her to pay attention while she's in an extra curricular class. Teaching her to make an effort is apparently wrong. Also getting her to practice at home is wrong - the child needs more free time.

She is a voracious reader and if, on her own, buries her face in a book instead of asking for gadgets or telly, there's tutting because the poor child doesn't realise how she could enjoy herself as her parents haven't shown her... sounds positively Dahl-esque doesn't it!

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

No, you are not a bad mom.From my perspective you are someone who takes care of yourself too and enjoying life apart from kids.you are fine dear

sindmani and beautifullife30 like this.
  10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

My turn
    You are a good mom trying her bestest. Period. Rest doesnt matter.