1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Smile Please !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I learnt the following poem in school:
    There is never any trouble
    if you smile
    And if there is any trouble
    It will vanish like a bubble
    If you only take the trouble
    Just to smile

What a lovely poem !
    In school, my teacher would make us sing this daily and would explain the meaning, elaborate and emphasize the need and value of smile.
    She used to smile at all of us no matter what class we were in.

Smile is for all times and for all and sundry all through our life. It is indeed true that people are forgetting to smile, leave alone laugh ! Mothers are ecstatic when their infants smile for the first time. It is the first interaction of the baby with the world and this is very valuable. It is the most valuable expression, a panacea. Nobody can ignore a smile.

It is rather unfortunate that the smile has become a rare phenomenon today. We are always tense, serious and touchy, frowning more often than smiling. Frowns and tempers are not going to solve problems, but make others only move farther from us.
    A smile does not cost anything but still is highly valuable.

People are more conscious of work- more work means more money, more money means more status, more “uppishness” and more frowns. Frowns and smiles are miles apart. People have no time for smiles and many have forgotten to smile, even when greeting someone or thanking them.
    It is hightime people analyse the cause and effects of serious moods and “touch me not” attitudes and considered the values of smiles and pleasant attitudes.

Here, I cannot help mentioning about our reputed artist S P Balasubramaniam who regales his audience In every programme he takes part, with a smiling countenance. His enjoyable anecdotes give real pleasure and everybody enjoys his gestures and enjoyable anecdotes. He does not reveal his headaches and tensions in a programme unlike many artists who have a stony face.

There are many types of smiles – spontaneous smiles, forced smiles, courtesy smiles, business-like smiles, affectionate smiles, loving smiles and understanding smiles, to mention a few !

Let, then, this be our motto.
    Smile and make others smile.
    Not just our motto, but our minimum duty !

:) SMILE :)
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I too remember the smile poem dear Chithra..Smile does not cost us anything but also I have heard it helps our facial muscles..I guess in this fast paced world it is so easy to get self absorbed and then forget to Smile..Now that you have written about this I will endeavor to smile..though it doesnt come very very naturally to me..My husband on the other hand smiles a lot and its so easy for him to smile..sometimes he even takes off the sting of any strong statement with his smile..But its so much easier on other around us if we have the tendency to smile freely..so Smile here I come smiling..

3. Chitvish

:)
    You know, what prompted me to write this blog, I am sure ! Read the last thread of Cheeniya !
    Believe me, after all these years, many many many years, I too smile a lot now. Not that I did not want to smile previously, but now I make sure that I smile a lot. Previously I used to talk more - smile less, now consciously smile more also (it is obvious in all my IL photos), not that I talk less !!
    V always flashes big smiles & scores over me, but talks much less than me !!
    In our school days, the quiz was, "which is the longest word in english?:. The answer used to be "s-mile-s" !
    Thanks, AC, you make me (or my blog?) so wanted every monday morning ! So, the punishment will continue for you from me !
    Love,
    Chithra.:)

4. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith
    A smile from the heart makes you so light that you feel good. You have said it correctly that now a days people does not have time for smile. I have read that a child smiles more often than adults. So we grow we lose that ability some where. I am not a very talkative person so I express my feeling more through a smile.

Love
    vidhi

5. Chitvish

much more than words ! As we grow, our priorities, thinking pattern etc change & we do not bother to smile much, very often unintentionally. By nature, I was also not a smiling person, like you. You will not believe this, after seeing all my IL photos ! Now, I have developed the habit of smiling so that everybody around me feels pleasant to interact with me !
    Love,
    Chith.:)

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Chithra
    You are so right now a days people don't want to smile at all, it looks like it costs them a lot. I have seen in some places when we go to a knew country we come across some Indian faces and I am a person who is alway try to smile at these people as from the same country, some of them just walk off no idea why.......... I feel so funny about these people.
    Lets smile and make others smile............if get the smile back or not................:)

7. Chitvish

A smile does not always beget a smile ! I wonder why ! But it may not be always intentional also. Some people are plain inhibited, I think.
    Infact, now I realse that I smile much more than what I used to do years ago !:)
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mami....U r Right, smile does not cost anything....it is an inexpensive way to change our looks.The world always looks brighter behind a smile.People with a smile are more approachable than those with that serious look .

I have some fave quotes like "Wear a smile - one size fits all"...."Everyone smiles in the same language"...

Yes, rarely can we watch a SPB prog with a long face. His smile starts ours.

I admire ppl whose smile reaches their eyes. Few celebrities like Aamir Khan and Juhi Chawla have that smile. And two of our former Prime Ministers where famous for smile....Rajiv Gandhi, for his charming smile and PVNarasimha Rao, who almost never smiled in his 5yrs tenure.

And I would like to mention that many admire my dimples when I smile:queen. So, I try to smile more nowadays.(Well it is another story that my dimples are prominent even if I frown).
    But now I am:)ing....

9. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithu,
    First thing that anyone will notice about you is your brilliant smile. I try and smile as much as possible, my children taught me that. They are innocent and do not wait for the others to smile. For them it is the most natural thing to do. Lovely blog yet again!!!

10. Chitvish

"Dimple Darling"? When do I see you?
    I love people who get a dimple ! So, you are one ILite, I must meet !
    I think, Deepika Padukone also has a sweet smile with a lovely temple. So, you rank with her, on my list!
    Yes, Rajeev Gandhi charmed us with his smile.
    Love,
    Chithra.