1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Fasting Tips for Karwa Chauth

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by coolblues, Oct 30, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Karwa Chauth is a special day for all Indian women and is celebrated with utmost faith and splendor. It is a day of dedicated fast for the longevity of husbands. Fasting is good for health since the body works on utilizing the stored fat to provide energy. This reduces bad cholesterol and fat in the body. Women must make sure the fast does not lead to unnecessary health problems, such as ulcer, heartburn, nausea, etc. Here, are some smart fasting tips on this special day.

During the Fast

• Choose the type of fast as per your body condition – only fruits, or water.
    • Have fresh fruits and dry fruits for breakfast. If you want to sustain a day long fast, never skip this important meal. Avoid sugar and processed foods to retain more energy during the day. Having sweets for breakfast will make you even hungrier. Raw cucumbers, watermelon, apple, grapes and bananas are some fruits that can keep you full.
    • Keep yourself hydrated every two to three hours with plain water or a fresh fruit juice to keep up the energy levels.
    • Home made paneer, dry fruits, nuts, milk, buttermilk are some good options, which can keep you full for a long time.
    • Distract yourself and go about doing your routine without thinking too much about the fast. Mind is often the culprit to make you feel low and tired. Keep your mind busy with your favorite hobby or socialize.

After the Fast

• Do not drink tea or coffee in an empty stomach after a day’s fast. It will increase acidity and may lead to nausea.
    • Drink water or fruit juice before you can eat anything solid.
    • Avoid eating oily or spicy food for dinner as it may cause heartburn. Have light food that has high protein and healthy cholesterol. Complete your dinner with a lemonade as it can aid digestion.
    • Do not crumble to self-pity and indulge in sweets and heavy foods the following day.
    • Ladies who are pregnant or any other ailments such as anemia should consult a doctor before undertaking the fast.
    Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy Karwa Chauth! :)

Attached Files:

3 people like this.

2. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hello Coolblues,

That's a very nice post. I will be doing Karwa Chauth tomorrow, and I think I will be refering to this page time and again. I am sure lots of our community members will be gaining from these advice. Most of our rituals in India are shrouded by folklore, and hearsay, than solid health advice. I am sure your tips will be helping a lot of ladies, for whom this will be their first Karwa Chauth.

And by the way, I adore the hubbies who also fast along with their wives, for the long and happy lives of their wives. I know so many of them. When marriage is one of equality, it's so terribly romantic to give up food for the day for each other, isn't it?

Take care,

Moumita

3. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Cool tips but we keep it without water...so cannot eat fruits/nuts etc. or for that matter anything in the day...

will drink water only after the moon is out and then can have dinner...

and this is my 1st Karva chauth! So excited! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. coolblues

Hi Moumita,

Best wishes for Karwa Chauth tomorrow. Oh yes, it will be really cool if hubbies also observe this fast.. its one level above the tradition..!

Enjoy and hope you have a good one!

Cheers.

5. coolblues

All the very best, SunNaa. Am sure tomorrow will be in every way a memorable karwa chauth for you!

Distract yourself from the fast and take it easy...

Enjoy and have good fun!

Cheers.

6. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Happy karwa chauth to all
    Nice tips.....thanks for info :)

7. ladki1

ladki1 Silver IL'ite

Happy Karwa chauth to all...... :)

8. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

Very nice tips. I shall be fasting tomorrow after a gap of 2 years due t o medical problems and this time too DH and MIL are not in favor of my fasting...DH is never in favor of fasting for any reasons. I was thinking how to go about it as doctor too was not comfortable with my decision of observing a fast. These tips are definitely going to help me.
    Happy Karva to all wives ;-)

9. coolblues

Take it easy Happy2be, since your hubby wants you to be in the pink health more than following a tradition. But you seem to have a tough mind and am sure you will do this fast in flying colors.

Happy Karwa Chauth to you!

Cheers.

10. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Happy Karwa chauth to all.