Sleeping on only side during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Catgol, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your reply nijasav it definetly helps me anyways I ll see my doctor on monday so I ll ask her abt it

2. stalin4d

stalin4d Senior IL'ite

Yes i got with Nijasav because old sayings and elderly advice never go insane,
    for each and every thing there is cause they will never give us teach bad things.

There must be a good reason for getting up and turning aside from left to right or right to left
    because the floating umbilical cord which is floating will encirle the baby neck.

So getting up and turning aside will never harm you or your baby and its a good reason too.
    everything will be good and no harm...

Practice makes things good...

All the best...

1 person likes this.
  3. lavanyaA

lavanyaA Junior IL'ite

I heard from my doctor sleeping on the left side is best. But it is okay to move to right if you are inconvenient. The kidneys are on the right and the baby will press on the kidney if you lay to your right. and not okay to sleep straight because there are some nerves that connect to your heart that your baby might press on. You might feel hard to breath if you lay straight. But I have no idea about cord going over the neck. But my mil used to wake me up at night to getup and turn and continue sleep.
    Hope this helps

4. Mayaa2012

Mayaa2012 Bronze IL'ite

Old people dont say things that are not true... but there are exceptions like "eat saffron to get fair baby", "get up to turn sides", "eating papaya will cause miscarriage" etc., Somewhere somebody would have done this and they would have got a result as mentioned which would have lead to these theories...

I asked my doc about me causing cord to entangle.. She said it is only the baby who keeps rotating in the womb who cause it to happen but u cannot make it happen, no matter u get up to turn side or not. Getting on one side to get up from the bed is a basic thing that they teach u in yoga even for non-pregnant people. I practice yoga and even before I was pregnant, I turn to one side and get up from bed/sofa, the reason being not to strain your spine with your body weight being fully on it. Add baby's weight to it and your spine is going to suffer more. Those are the medical reasons. Laying on left side is beneficial to you and your baby but it is no harm if you change to right too because u cant control involuntary motions during your sleep. Your body knows to take care of the baby and if turning sides is harmful, your body wouldnt have been programmed that way.

1 person likes this.
  5. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mayan thanks for your reply so u sleep on left side or both the sides?

6. Mayaa2012

Mayaa2012 Bronze IL'ite

7. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

Very true. I had papaya in the sixth month but still baby is fine. Even my Doctor said that baby keeps moving and playing with the cord so even if the cord entangles, its nothing to do with my sleeping position. He said that old people try to scare you but doctors are experienced enough to deliver the baby without any harm.

8. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear friends
    Went to doc yesterday she said sleeping in left side all through the night is completely safe and I asked her abt getting up n turning sides she said it's not necessary

9. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

thanks catgol for the update...:)

10. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi catgal,

I was reading the posts here and thanks to all the ladies who have put in good suggestions.
    I will add little bit to it - sleeping always in left side whether pregnant or a normal person is always good. In pregnancy, since uterus is in left side so blood flow is easier as per the researchers and old wives also tells the same.
    But while getting up from the sleep it is good to get up from right side as we are not putting pressure on heart.
    At the time of sleeping heart pump rate is milder compare to other times of the day.
    For ex: when baby is sleeping we can have heart rate of 142-146 bpm when she is sleeping it comes around 140-142. Same goes for adults too.
    So getting up from the right side is always good as we are not pressuring the heart.

Just make this as practice if now you don't feel like to change the position it is okay nothing to worry about.