Sleeping on only side during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Catgol, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi aryashi do you know whether it's okay to sleep only in the left side

2. Mayaa2012

Mayaa2012 Bronze IL'ite

I asked about this to my doc if one should get up to turn sides..she said it is an absolute myth and a old wives tale.... there is no truth to this....

3. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

courtesy:babycenter.com

Sleeping on your side is best while you're pregnant. In particular, sleeping on your left side may benefit your baby by improving blood flow – and therefore nutrients – to the placenta. It also helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body, which in turn reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands.
    It's a good idea to start training yourself early in pregnancy to sleep on your left side whenever you can. Of course, staying in one position all night isn't likely to be comfortable, so turning from side to side while favoring your left side is probably the best strategy.
    As for sleeping on your back, avoid that position throughout pregnancy, especially in the later months. Here's why:
    When you're sleeping on your back, the weight of your uterus lies on the spine, back muscles, intestines, and major blood vessels. This can lead to muscle aches and pains, hemorrhoids, and impaired circulation, which is uncomfortable for you and can reduce circulation to your baby.
    Back sleeping can make blood pressure drop, causing some expectant moms to experience dizziness. On the other hand, in some moms-to-be it can make blood pressure go up.
    Finally, back sleeping can cause snoring and, with increased weight, could lead to sleep apnea.

4. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

thanks mayaa.. for the update... i dint get up till date.. so was lil concern,..

1 person likes this.
  5. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

My doc advised me to sleep in left side
    because
    The Uterus is left side mainly and so baby will be more comfortable in left.
    Right side is OK, but left is preferable and also our heart is in leftside, so our breathing also will be good , easy and comfortable.
    But never sleep straight, because the chords will rotate on baby;s neck ( if you sleep straight, the baby will go inside and the chords will come on top and when we getup there are chances for the chords to circle the baby neck, so if you sleep straight also, turn to left side and slowly get up

6. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi nijasav
    You ve brought me some peace of mind because all through the night I used to sleep only in the left because m so used to it I never turn sides if at all I have pain by continuos sleeping in the left I use to go to rest room and then come back n slep in the left., ..Did you sleep only in the left all through your pregnancy n baby as ok m asking this because m so worried whether one sided sleep position would affect the baby., pls reply me

7. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

I asked abt the cord to my doctor. he said tht it is a myth.

8. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Pls reply me dear friend

9. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Technically if you think, Anything heavy will go in the bottom and light weight will float on top.
    That applies for the Straight sleeping Preg Lady also know.
    The baby will go inside deep in stomach and the cords will float on top. Straight if you get up ( again Iam repeating only ) THERE ARE CHANCES FOR THE CORDS TO CIRCLE THE BABY NECK. So if you turn to side and get up then there is no such problems..

Old people never says anything irrelevant...............This is old people experience and knowledge

1 person likes this.
  10. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Be comfortable.... If you sleep left then you can have easy breathing and then automatically baby is comfortable. I slept on both sides and sometimes straight also, but getting up from side ways