1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping Apart Since Having A Baby

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Deborah, Aug 30, 2017.

1. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I guessed that might have been the issue here... then I can tell you that there is no substitute for love. Your H may be just satisfied and does not think it necessary for the emotional connection. Then you should work on building the emotional connection, don't expect anything by moving next to him, do it by all means if you want, but don't it with expectations. And as previous poster pointed, for women it is about cuddling, hugs, getting attention, for men, it is about getting the job done. Before my kids, we used to sleep next to each other very close, after kids, it stopped. He even gets annoyed at the suggestion. We sleep far from each other on the same bed. Sometimes it bothered me but I have realized not to read much into it. You should infact watch an episode of "Friends" - an american comedy serial, where the man is not at all comfortable cuddling in the bed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Rihana and Deborah like this.
  2. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Well, that is true.Anyhow, maybe my expectations were otherwise.There is a friend who has a toddler . He sleeps in his own room , but the friend sometimes goes and sleeps with him just for the cuddles. So , the other day, we were discussing something totally different & she says that her husband gets upset when she goes to sleep with her son as he wants her in the same bed. Now I know comparing 2 relationships doesn't lead to anything good but it certainly led to my (over)thinking on this topic.More so 'cause my husband has never reacted like this.I wish he does though even if a bit.It will definitely make me feel good about myself. Anyways, can't do much about it other than moving my own self back to the master bed.

3. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

@bruised234 - that was helpful.Will try doing what you have mentioned. Yes, his emotional needs are few . I have always been the 'needy' one.He is fine otherwise, occasional tiffs and all that included. You must be talking about Chandler in FRIENDS. I have always liked his character the most .

4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Your kid is old enough now so you should sleep together with hubby . Sleeping separately definitely shouldn't be a long term option as it will impact your married life but. Like I said you can always transition kid to a toddler bed and move it close to your bed.

You can always leave both your daughter and guilt at home with a nanny and go on a date night to add some more zing to your life . Make it a point to go regularly at least once in a few months or on special occasions. Soon your daughter will be going to a preschool so plenty of time for intimacy if both you can get wfh options ;)

Deborah likes this.
  5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

And sometimes when there is no problem we give birth to our own problems in our minds because we are often comparing everything about our life with others . Our kid, our husband, our ILs, our bank balance ,it just doesn't end !!

Sandycandy, Deborah and Naari like this.
  6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Hi, the reason I spoke about the gender equality is to explain to the op to take the initiative and make the changes she wants instead of waiting for the "man" to do it.

N I didn't think sex or straying was the issue, My understanding was that the op wanted to feel needed / desired by her dh n feel the warmth of sleeping next to her dh n wondering whether her dh has gotten too comfy sleeping alone. Thus the previous reply.

I know of a couple who doesn't spend a night apart. They say they just can't fall asleep without the other one. N they have two young kids too. They neither cuddle through out the night nor be intimate every night. It's as simple as, they like the warmth of their spouse on the same bed. N they are just like any other couple with all the loves n fights. For a couple like this, sleeping away is not about the lack of cuddles, sex or straying, Its just abt wanting / needing each other's company n wanted/ needed by the spouse.

SGBV and Deborah like this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

@ashneys - I got what you were trying to say in the context of gender equality.And you are right too.

8. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

@Sunburst - Thoda hai ,Thode ki zarurat hai. This is how it is always going to be with us mortals.

Sunburst likes this.
  9. tulip07

tulip07 Bronze IL'ite

Hi OP,

Did you try training your daughter to sleep by her own? let her have her own bed and sleep. Co-sleeping is notvery required when she is already 16 months! So I dont really get the whole point here? Intimacy with your husband is very important, so get back to your bed asap and train your daughter to sleep on her own. Good luck!

Deborah likes this.
  10. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

@tulip07 - That is what I am trying to do now.I creep back out once she has fallen asleep.But she does wake up after 2-3 hours and I have to go back.Hopefully things will get better.Thanks for your reply though.