1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Skin Rashes -hives Or Urticaria

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by redapple, Dec 13, 2016.

1. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Hello all,

I am a silent reader and done few posts earlier. My husband is having skin red rashes called urticaria or hives for past 6 months. He is taking many allergy tablets and the steriod tablet too...but this rashes are not going...sometimes they are worse..

We live in Philadelphia ... Does the weather here causes this? or the food? we eat vegetarian food.. because of this we stopped milk,bread related food ..
    Does anyone know any medicine to control these rashes? does any of your known person experienced this?

Please share your knowledge as the winter is started...really worried now.. and don't know what to do

Thanks

2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Does your DH get any other symptoms along with the hives? My DH started getting allergy attack after moving to US. He gets hives, BP goes down and depending on the severity we had to take him to emergency few times. Many of my DH's friends have undergone this, not sure if it is the food or bugs or something else. These days my DH has benadryl pills in his wallet and whenever he starts to feel those symptoms he takes it. He is visiting an allergist, they did so many tests, but could not find the exact trigger that causes these allergies. So she has prescribed some over the counter allergy pills and he has been taking them daily. Take an appointment with an allergist and try to find the trigger. One of my DH's friends went to India and got homeopathy treatment and he says his allergy attacks have gone down by 70% after taking those pills. We are planning to try it the next time we visit India. All the best to you.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

He already consulted allergy doctor,now dermatology ..they did blood test and still unable to find reason....he is also taking OTC allergy tablets and prednisone too.. not able to find the trigger yet.. just read in the web about taking bath with baking soda,apple cider vineger... wanted to know more information to subside the itching ..please share if any other home remedies that works better

4. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Hi jillcastle,

Do you know any information about low-histamine foods that controlls hives? I read in the internet lot about avoiding some fruits,vegetable,canned foods, bread,pizza etc... to control histamine. Do you have any experience or idea about this? please share...
    One of my friend is visiting India..so thinking of getting homeopathy medicine ( we will talk to the Dr from here about the condition and get medicine)

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

From my personal experience we avoided all that was sour / citric , red chillies, pineapple, brinjal etc for an year or so until condn improved. Homeopathic treatment helped. Not to mention about the innumerable trips to dermatologist allergic meds too. Changed all soaps /lotions to sensitive skin avoided fragrance dyes in washing soaps, avoided reducing dryness in the air as heat aggravates it. Run humidifier if u cannot keep the heat down.

6. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Thank you jskls...for your quick response.. how long did you take Homeopathic medicine?(just asking because I need to tell my brother to consult the Dr for medicine...that's why)

Does sour includes yogurt too? how about milk and coffee? In every website I read tomatoes needs to be avoided...

Sorry if I am bothering with so many questions...

jskls likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I totally understand don't worry about asking questions. If I can I will be able to help.
    We avoided Tomatoes tamarind lemon. If hard try using roma tomatoes only and not the big round ones ( holland or beefsteak tomato). Yogurt and milk was ok with us. Either fresh made yogurt or store bought all natural ones.
    Usually homeo meds are given for 3-6 months period. I remember seeing them in Whole foods chain stores. Not sure if its in ur area.
    Hope this helps.
    On a separate note add @username to tag so that the person will be notified.

8. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

@jillcastle @jskls

Could you please tell me if you know anything about lips swelling and swelling in throat too( read so many websites about the risk of throat swelling)

He is having this symptom from yesterday night and he is taking all the medication regularly. He finds it little difficult to speak continuously and I feel his speech is not clear...

Very confused and scared because of the swelling... he is doing so many restriction withthe food to find the trigger.. so eating only limited items for the past twenty days..

Please share if anything can be done for the swelling to reduce..thanks

jskls likes this.
  9. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Better to book an apt. with his allergist or if the swelling is getting worse go to urgent care or emergency care depending on his situation. Good luck to you both.

10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Please call your doctor immediately or go to ER. Don't delay. Take care. Hope he gets well soon.

They may ask all the food he had in last 24-48 hrs. Make a note of what he eats. Avoid cross contamination