1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sir, Telegram...!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Jun 15, 2013.

1. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi,

Yes, 1853 to 2013- 160 years of Indian Telegrams. The 'click click' sounds of Telegraph machines and the bespectacled, poorly paid but very sincere, village post master with his telegram boy will be a thing of the past.

My Dad sent the telegram of the arrival of my first Son( yes, Pranav's Father), to my DH who was at Delhi. The arrival of the child was already delayed by 10 days. My DH daily went to the Karol Bagh telegraph office to check for any telegram. On that day just as he reached the telegraph office the telegram was just being received at the machine. There was a big clap in the telegraph office. All staff demanded the sweets. My DH rushed to the near by the 'Bikanervala', and distributed the sweets.

Thank you Indian Telegraph department! You were part of all Indian families India's freedom struggle history and culture. Sad, nothing is permanent in this world.

We move forward leaving behind telegrams today, and probably will move forward leaving behind cell phones and computer tomorrow. We move forward. Future is challenging and yet beautiful.

Thank you dear Bhargavi for your nostalgic reflections!. Enjoyed!

4 people like this.
  2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radha Sriram,
    Thanks for stepping in and:cheers

3. knbg

Dear Srama,
    Thanks for joining here , yes, felt sad and melancholic for sometime, though I haven't used telegrams for the past few years.......mmm......One more thing that joins the list of 5, 10 paisa coins, 15 paise post card which were so popular and used extensively in yester years.

4. knbg

Dear Viswa Sir,
    That's a lovely feedback with beautiful memories, Thank you.
    Start Immediately, Both safe used to be the most used phrases along with the greeting codes.
    I remember when it was announced in DD news that from then on telegrams can be sent in tamil,and that year we sent greetings telegrams for Pongal to close cousins.

5. knbg

Dear Bhavna,

Thanks for stepping in with sweet words.:)

Those days, meeting up with maternal grandparents would be only on summer vacations, whereas now it happens anytime we wish thanks to skype, the bond my DS shares with my dad is stronger than what I had with my maternal grandparents.( seeing a super grandma reminded me of this, special thanks for that dear..:), now I have started reminiscing about those bonding times..:coffee)

1 person likes this.
  6. knbg

Dear lgirish,
    Thanks for stepping in and sharing the sweet memories ..
    Yes, the baksheesh / tip moments were mandatory then and they capitalized it and were also like a part of the extended family...good old times indeed...:)

1 person likes this.
  7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear knbg,
    A wonderful and lavoble narration !! A beautiful journey bringing back the golden memories !!!

Smart phones, emails and SMS seem to have pushed the humble telegram service to a quiet corner with the BSNL deciding to discontinue the 160-year-old telegraph service from July 15. Once the main source of quick and urgent communication, the service delivered many happy and sad news to people all over the country.
    [​IMG]
    But with the advent of technology and newer means of communication, the telegram found itself edged out.
    with love
    pad

2 people like this.
  8. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi,
    Loved your post…The few snippets that I’ve read of yours, had always reminded me of watching a vintage classic movie. The feel good reminiscence of old days, the tinges of warm timeworn sentiments, the sketch of ever-lingering memoirs, above all, the excitement of having journeyed those times brings a beautiful charm to all your posts. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
    In few decades span, the age of empires have fast forwarded into age of computers. The latest fiber optic bb communication at breathtaking speeds of up to 160 MB makes 26x faster than the average speed. Do you believe downloading films faster than popping corns? Flabbergasting isn’t? But we are lucky to have witnessed the essence of both times. :cheers

3 people like this.
  9. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

Many people near to forties will definetly have some memories with Telegram.. Nice Write up Bhargavi :)

And Kamal ji dont bother about their Job's Postal department have seen alternate arrangement for these people

1 person likes this.
  10. knbg

Dear Mindi,
    Have not used the service..?! surprising..!:)
    Yes, and I guess the hype, as Cheeniya Sir pointed out was created by the film industry...:rotfl:bonk