Singapore Spice Bazaar! Information about Groceries availability!

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Singapore' started by AbhiSing, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Re: Ways with greens and sauces.

Hi Chandramukhi,

Thanks for the tip and is the simplest I guess. I shall try it and let you know how much I enjoyed it.

Poornima.

2. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Re: Ways with greens and sauces.

Hi Vijee,

I will check it out and shall familiarise myself with the different greens. So, the next time I will have a different variety to cook and eat too!

Thanks
    Poorni.

3. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Mock Meat!!

Hi all,

Where do we get mock meat to cook apart from the usual soya nuggets. Is there a particular brand that we need to look for. Oops..last time when I was here I tried the fish stuff...something with bean curd...it was bad. But I like the veggie korma that the food courts have with potato and mock meat. I usually go shopping to westmall where there is shop n save and NTUC closeby.

Any clues????????????

Poornima

4. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Curds

Hi there....its me again,

How do u all set curds at home. I've been buying Paul's, Farmhouse and Vishnu these days. But I want to have home made ones. So, what milk to use to set it. I tried to do once and to my disappointment it didnt set one whole day...dont know why :-(

To drink we use Cowhead Low Fat milk. Should I go for full cream milk?

Suggestions please
    Poornima.

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Re: Mock Meat!!

Hi Poorni

I buy from NTUC. there are 2 brands(some chinese name.) usually. They have vegetarian chicke, fish and mutton. It will be placed near the beancurd products, chilled.
    U can cook it like usual mutton/chicken/fish curries. Also you can use it in beehoon, or then fried foods,soups,stews.

Enjoy and let me know!

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Re: Curds

Hi poorni

I use pauls/Amul full cream mik. Even the fernleaf milkpowder also comes out well if we make curds.
    The trick as per Chitvish is to boil milk well and set aside until it is warm and then for 1 cup mix 1 spoon of curd beaten well with a pinch of sugar. Close and keep aside without disturbing on the kitchen top. Dont put it near sink. It also sets well even without sugar. Also I make it in a stoneware (small bowls available @Ikea/homemarts NTUC) as per Chitvish suggestions.
    Try it out.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  7. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Re: Mock Meat!!

Hi Vijee,

Thank you. I shall check it out when I go shopping this weekend. I will surely let you know how well I cooked up the meat!!!!Big Laugh

Yday, I bought Magnolia Full cream milk and added a spoon of paul's curd to a cup of warm milk and left it near my stove. This morning when I saw it was half set. I guess by lunch it should be good. But I wonder why it is a kind of sticky...does that how the curd sets???????????

I will have curd rice in the noon and let you know how it came out ultimately.

Bye
    Poorni.

8. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Hi Poornima,

since the time i came here i hav been using the amul milk for making curds,either of both types.bfore i wuld just boil the milk wait till it bcame luke warm n then add half tspn curds,i wuld get gd curds in abt 8 hrs time.

now i only warm the milk n add half spn curds n allow the curd to b set,n i get curds in 6 hrs time.

or else u can even add half warm milk n half of the milk directly frm carton n add the half spn curds n allow it to set.u get very thick curds.

never use any fresh milk here for setting the curds as v get the sticky curds,n for starter curd vishnu suits well.

hope this helps.

bye
    raji

9. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi Poorni,
    I faced the same problem when i shifted here as the kitchen is v cool. So i boil the milk( whatever milk u r comfortable with), letit cool, then heat it up to degree a little more than luke warm- if u dip ur little finger in the milk, u should feel the bearable heat; then i add half a ladle of curds then i use the churner- mathu and churn until all the curds have mixed with the milk. then i cover the vessel with a plate and wrap the whole vessel with a kitchen towel and keep it in the microwave. ur curds will set within 4-5 hours. try it out and let me know!
    all the best.
    su.

10. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Hi Su,

That is a real good description...thanks a lot. I will try it out and let you know how I enjoyed my curds.

Thanks
    Poornima