1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Simple things children love

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

When you take your children out what are your kids interested in , most of the time my children enjoy all the simple things that are easily found when you go out on a drive or on a vacation.

You may find it silly, but my children really enjoy watching,

Brick making..the beautiful clay moulded ones,being put into a furnance and lit..and the baked ones arranged...

Sugar cane juice – how the sugar can is passed through the rollers and the juices collected. They love to drink it with a tinge of lemon and ginger.

Tea processing- the tea leaves, the white flowers in a tea bush,the tea making, the slopes, the animals in the plantations..(last time we had a treat of bisons)

Pottery- the clay being swished with legs and the potters wheel.....

Building under construction – the mixing and all and the foundation everything....

Farming- paddy fields, sugar cane,groundnuts, potatoes,cabbage,rose garden everything is education with first hand experience even plucking sometimes...

The gully cricket played by kids in the villages in dried ponds and places while drinking from tender coconuts.

Shooting the balloons with aluminium pellets from a wooden gun at the beaches in Chennai, (ofcourse next time you see a big guy with two children vying for the gun..sure you have hit it..the guy is veda..)

..hmmm along with eating hot corn roasted on a coal fire….they love to watch the pops of nicely cooked corn on the cobs…with the fire just crackling

So are your kids interested in things like this..let us share so that others may also get ideas....simple pleasures....:smile:

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Shanti,

beautiful simple and enjoyable things indeed..
    My kids and i love to do the following:

1. Going for walks... ( be it in crowded downtown area , or on a walking trail in the woods ) really fun and adventurous.
    2. Train ride: just a simple trainride makes their day. This past summer they had a whale of a time going on the Metro system in Chennai...
    3. Cricket included in my list too... and then we play soccer in the parks.
    4. love to watch " stuff being made" , unfortunately here we do not have the sugar cane juice.
    5. Building sand castles on the beach
    6. Skipping stones on a river or lake
    7. Just sitting and dipping our legs in the water and talking about things.
    8. Chasing butterflies and bird watching ( the real brids! of course hubby will do a different kind of bird watching!)
    Gardening , and so also we go to orchards to pick fruits, vegetables etc.. oh the list can go on and on.....

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi vandana,

Thanks for joining...I feel we are chasing our dreams and forgetting the small pleasures that are around us...

Yes dipping our legs in water this we used to do when in muscat..in the hot water poodles..

playing in the beaches...chasing crabs and fishes....since the kids dont like to touch them....

list is endless...will add more as i go on.... hope there is one more who is with me on simple pleasures

4. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

shanvy,
    my daughter is 18 months old so she has some very different ideas of fun! like removing all her clothes from the dresser,walking a doll around in the stroller and dancing! my toddler can dance up a storm! :)
    reading your post made me miss India terribly! really, I too used to be facinated with construction as a child. And I guess living in Bombay we had similar beach experiences. Lovely post.
    ~ N

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi nazneen,

yeah..even at 18months your daughter has an idea of fun..good...and you can have fun wherever you are....

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow this reminds us of our childhood Shanthi. climbing trees, riding a bullock cart or a tonga, and many many such things. Now with the kid everything is different we watch cartoons, play monopoly, games on the net, go for long drives and speak on all possible topics.. read jokes, books, yah spending time with the kid itself is exciting. we climb mountians small ones not the big ones, and on and on...........

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi aruna,

Nice to know you enjoy time with kids..which is more important..we are creating memories for them..to share..

Hey v took the kids on a tonga recently...a jatka rather..there is one in our area...

the list is endless....still some are left...have to....we are learning along with them

8. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

My kid will enjoy :

going to beach and playing with the waves....splashing water.....

try to pretend like cartoon characters........as if he is mickey, he is superman.........

pottery- he likes it very much...to my surprise, he made for me two beautiful AGAL VILAKU for this karthigai.........a pen stand......etc.

want to enjoy festivals in its traditional way.........like he will cry to me ans ask me to make pongal outside the house with veragu aduppu.......

Love to listen only to melodious songs........

love to watch catoons.......all the time.........

Play like anything with computer, down load new games........

To draw something all the time..........

Very very muych interested in all sorts of video games......

shooting the balloons.....we all will enjoy this...........

want to get all the stuffs ( all play items) sold in beach.....like kite,balloons.......

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

LM,

Looks like you also enjoy everything with krishna. I am happy. This pongal one of our neighbour had a pongal outside in veraga aduppu ..and also the whole pooja..and I had requested her to call the kids to have an experience...they really enjoyed...nothing can beat having an first hand experience even though you read about it or see it on tv right...

10. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

How sweet ! Simple joys of life. If we also join them, we can become kids too ! I take my son for walking in parks and we like watching insects. Then we will go home and try to make drawing of the insects. He likes collecting different kinds leaves and i press it for him and he makes album. Then he likes cutting pictures from old magazines, cut off heads and stick other heads and make funny pictures. He also likes to sit outside and watch clouds and find out shapes in them- elephant or bear or car etc.