1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Silence.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by suryakala, Aug 3, 2012.

1. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Silence.

We all know what silence is. But when I think about silence I am silenced by its awesome powers.Have you ever thought about silence?

Silence is a beautiful and complex phenomenon with different effects.

A silent building,forest, road, place, can create fear in one’s mind. A silent lake is a beauty in itself. A noisy party if it becomes silent all of a sudden there is something to worry about there! If a cheerful child bubbling with energy becomes silent all of a sudden, the mother immediately recognizes something has gone wrong and becomes worried. If in a business meeting, everybody becomes silent on a remark by one, that remark has some potential consequences in it.

Silence can be a complex mode of communication. On many occasions silence conveys powerful and diversified messages than most effective words.

Silence can reach where words cannot. Silence can mean positive, neutral or negative response.Silence can mean infinite compassion or infinite cruelty. Silence can be the effective tool of communication for both the Master and servant.

Silence is the end of supreme ecstasy. It can also indicate the beginning of enmity and end of a relationship. Silence can mean absolute knowledge and also absolute ignorance. Silence can be the cause of an embarrassing situation and also the result of an embarrassing situation.

The one who is wise, knows where, when, why and how one should be silent.

Silence keeps the others guessing about the action thought and nature the person who is silent. Silence can be used as the way of showing protest, or can be used the way of appreciation. Silence can mean disapproval of an act. Silence can also mean approval of an act.

Silence at times indicates intense conversation of one to himself or herself.

Silence by one or both can silence a heated argument between two.

Silence is used in International diplomacy. On delicate issues the silence by a powerful state is interpreted differently by different Nations defining and determining international relationship. Sometimes International community keeps silence on certain obvious violations of international law or human rights by a powerful nation.

In space, despite the millions of nuclear reactors which we call stars ,there is total silence for the human ears!

Silence is the final stage of Raja yoga, which is Samadhi. Silence is the stage in which the mind (Chit) stops its perennial chat to the self (Sat) and in a state without any attributes called by the Rishis as Nirgun.

Silence is eternal truth-every being which is born goes into silence one day.

7 people like this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Good one suryakala. I am used to SILENCE for the most part of the day and have grown to love it now. I feel lost in a big noisy party.Maybe I will quote all the positive aspects of silence you have described here next time someone says I am silent. :)

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Very beautifully said Suryakala! Loved it! If only one realises that we should use your ability to be silent as much as we use our speech! It is indeed a phenominal state to be in!

4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Surya nice writeup about silence.Silence give freshness and we can feel after finishing mounavratham.

5. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Surya,

Lovely post !

love,
    kylie

6. Vasupradha

Vasupradha Gold IL'ite

Hi Surya,

Its nice, to read about silence...I luuvv silence, only when I study for exams...or read some novels...pls note...I want others to be silent, as I am reading...Then when I will be in silence.?!?!?..in anger will shout, cry...and sit in silence for very few secs...n will start scolding...in joy...you cant hear me...talking...biggest chatter- box..My hubby can add something good here...as he maintains silence..saying...mmmm... and if I force him to reply he will say k ma...seri ma...sollu vasu...thats it...So, I cannot keep silent most of the times...even when I am alone...will sing songs...speak to myself...he he....But can do only one thing...for this silent snippet...s...can nominate this....

Vasu....

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good post Surya dear.

8. suryakala

Dear Mindi,

Thanks for your feedback and appreciation.

The people who are knowledgeable and silent command enormous respect in the society. People would like to know what their reaction is on any matter in which their opinion matters. I too feel lost in big noisy party. But my DH enjoys talking to everybody on anything and laughs heartily with his friends. I envy his stamina for talking. I like observing him silently!

9. suryakala

Dear Srama,

Thanks for your feedback and appreciation. You have made a nice point in telling that we should use our ability to be silent as much as we use our ability to speak. Great!

1 person likes this.
  10. suryakala

Dear Periamma Sister,

Thanks for your feedback and appreciation. I heard Gandhiji used to do 'Mounavratham' regularly. Have you done Mounavratham?. Even after meditation, which is just a short period of silence, we feel fresh and rejuvenated.