1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SIL moving to US- Husband getting ready to pamper younger sis:(

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Goahead, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

OK so I have been dreading this day and it is almost there.My SIL is moving to US.my inlaws are very kanjoos including my SIL , but very nice in talking and pretending as if they care. My SIL , since she got married has never ever called us by herself, she hided/lied to me in terms of what my inlaws gifted her in wedding(like car etc and that was our money) and thereafter. She gangs up with MIL and there was a time when she did not even talk to me for something my MIL must have said her...

My husband realize that his sister lied to us , gangs up with mom etc but has a very soft heart towards her. He thinks she is younger to him so he is responsible to pay for everything for them.

1. I dnt like the fact that DH ignores everything that they have done to me, and also the fact that she never even bothered to call us by herself and simply treats her like princesses...i mean first thing she is married are we suppose to pay for everything when they visit us ? like restaurants, plane tickets, movies, sight seeing and then going around different cities booking hotels for them etc ...it does not make sense to me ...she is a girl, but it is not our responsibility to take care of everything for her ..

2. My husband treats them as i they are poor and bechara..her husband earns pretty well, but my DH has already stated treating them as if it is tough for them to survive here in US..what the hell he is earning on dollars here not rupees..my sis earns less that what he earns, my DH has never shown any concern for her

3. need advice on how to handle husband generosity ...i dnt want to keep spending on them, just because she is a girl..if she had a good relationship with me even then i would expect my husband to do what is required as a host but not go overboard with everything

4. SIL relationship ? I have tried over years to have good relationship with her, but she seems to be very mean kind...she talks nicely but has kept herself to a distant with me anyways. I have been the one always taking a step ahead to build a relationship with her...she never did..also she gangs up with MIL and I have decided to never forgive my MIL now ( whenever I do, i get hurt ) so something tells me to not do anything extra to get this relationship built, it will never happen and I will be insulted/hurt again.so its ok to maintain a cordial distant and treat her nicely but not dearly...
    what do you all say ?

2. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

some advice pls...

3. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

She is your sil and your hubby's baby sister. So he will choose to ignore how she behaves with you. You need to become smart. If you can afford to take her out once in a while do it. He is the elder one in the relation and he will pay. After a couple of outings start inviting your sister and her family and let your hubby foot the bill.

1 person likes this.
  4. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

Put your foot down pl..don't go overboard..they won't appreciate yr generosity.

5. AS86

AS86 Silver IL'ite

This is going to be a long reply.

From what I've seen, guys usually don't get involved in the MIL-DIL-SIL politics. And they usually don't let it affect their relationship with their sisters or mother. What you have described are small issues that happen in 99% of Indian households (SILs ganging up with MILs to criticize DIL).

If you're well off and can afford it, why not let him spend on his sister? Does he spend on her and not on you? If you want to do the same for your sister, discuss it with him. But, if he's the sole earning member and you're a homemaker, it's unlikely that he'd want to spend copious amounts on your sister. My husband has an older cousin here in the US. They live in a different city. And every time we visit them, hubby's cousin pays for everything from dinner to movie tickets and everything else. Also, buys us gifts etc. Once DH and his cousin were planning to go to the UK to watch some football match and the cousin was even insisting to buy the air tickets. And my hubby earns more than enough and totally doesn't need it.

Similarly, in my family, for as long as I can remember, every time my dad's sisters (my buas) used to visit us, dad won't let them pay for anything. Would arrange for taxis for them and their hubbys, hotel stays, lunches/dinners, gifts for their kids, airplane/train tickets, whatever it might be. My mom used to not like it sometimes, but she never said anything because it didn't affect our family's financial situation. Again, not like my buas' husbands couldn't afford these things. But my dad got a pleasure out of doing it, even for his elder sisters.

So what I'm trying to say is that yes, you're his wife and you have every right to be a part of all the financial decisions and your hubby's money is your money. But, there are a few lines that a wife shouldn't cross and a few things that a wife shouldn't interfere in. If you are in a comfortable situation, let him spend on his sister. He's not spending on something bad, like alcohol, right? And he fulfills his financial duties towards you?

And about your relationship with SIL, be cordial and nice to her even if you dislike her. Don't go overboard. But, since now she's going to be in the US and you'll likely see her often, it's important to maintain peace. However, if she crosses a line and causes trouble in your life, be sure to take a stand and make it clear to her that you won't take it lying down.

4 people like this.
  6. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Let your H do whatever he wants for her but you do not have to feel obliged to be extra nice if you feel that she is not reciprocating it or not being nice to you. I have seen than younger SILs in general tend feel entitled to all the nice treatment and spending (on them of course) as in our society it is considered a bro's duty to take care of his sis and her needs all his life. You can be rest assured that your H will continue this treatment for a lifetime. The best thing to do would be to maintain a distance and keep her expectations at bay so that you do not end up feeling depressed for a lifetime.

My mom's SIL still cooks and does everything for my mom and her sisters when they visit my uncle's house as in my uncle's words "this is their family of origin." Cos of having done this for >30 years She has so much resentment against her H's sisters and does not miss a single opportunity to make them look bad in front of others.

It is best to do what you can and just be polite to her; do not go overboard.

Your H has to understand that she is his sis and not yours and if you do not expect him to be extra nice to your sis he cannot expect you to be extra nice to his.

7. Jhilmill

Jhilmill Silver IL'ite

It's kind of depend on type of indian community you are from. Example in some communities girls are life long burden or saying positively they'll pamper her till death in variation.

In some after marriage and the first year of marriage it stops as pampering the sis kind of questions the husband's backbone.

But yes in the first culture there are rules to load the DIL also so its not one way street.

Anyways brother pampering his sis is one thing and taking stand for his wife is another. If he does the first then make sure he does the second too.

1 person likes this.
  8. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

see thats the thing..he know hows to pamper well, but never say them anything when they do wrong...he just stays quiet.I find it so mean on his side...
    coming to financials, it has always been the case that he ould not spend the money on himself /me as well...but when it comes to his family he spends a big amount in one go...he thinks that is necessary spending that we cannot avoid, but we can definitely avoid our lavish lifestyle...i disagree with him on this..how is it justified to spend on someone else but not spend o myself...

i just do not feel anything for my inlaws/SIL anymore .She coming to US is going to create more tensions for me. so i needed to vent this out...my biggest problem is my HUSBAND .If I had a husband who would listen to my vent atleast , I would have felt better. But every time i tell hims something that they did, he takes my fault out and there is a big fight. Thats why I'm so tensed.I cannot even talk independently in my home...another thing my MIL/SIL are very very dominating.When they are here they do things on their terms and just change my life entirely..

I need advice to keep my life style the way I want o..they all just ignore that I have family too, my sister, my parents and my Brother are never even asked. I feel more bad as I m working and the money they enjoy is part of my earning as well....

9. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

OP, since ur SIL is coming to USA first time, let your DH spend on her for the first trip to visit you guys. Or why dont you guys travel and visit them, that way you are spending on ur own trip and combine some sight seeing so it will be like a trip for your family. If you are earning too, why not you spend on your sister, brother, parents? Just tell your DH, if he can spend on his younger sister, how is that any different from you spending on your younger siblings.

Venting about in-laws to DH never end up in a good way.[​IMG] So vent in IL and dont talk about it to DH. Next time if MIL/SIL does something nasty just ask them right there, then and there, in a casual way. Make sure to ask in front of DH.

Just ignore your SIL. If you keep thinking about her, it will only end up in more stress for you. Deal with it when she comes to visit you, or you go to visit her.

10. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Please keep an open mind. I don't see any huge problem here. Unless she creates an issue, you should not feel bad. She didnt share about the gifts she received because you might not like it and rightly thought. Key to your problems is keeping an open mind. Not all SIL's are the same until proven otherwise.

1 person likes this.