Significance of Kolam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2006.

1. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi chithu,
    very nice topic!!!!
    i just love putting kolams!!!!
    in our house we were encouraged doing this since my mum is a very gud rangoli artist and whenever we go to kapaleeshwar temple festivals we pick up books and try them out and nowadays i have started puttin the pulli kolam with lots zig zags and waiting for margazhi so that can try all that out with maavu!!!!just miss it when i am away from home!!!!!ur idea of keeping flowers outside the door is very nice and a real treat to watch and very welcoming too!!!!!
    luv
    pavi

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pavi,
    I personally feel, a beautiful kolam & fresh flowers at the entrance to the house give the guest, the most warm welcome.
    It also reveals the dormant artist in every woman. I hate sticker kolams, can't help saying!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear chith,
    i totally agree with u on that aspect...sticker kolams dont provide us with an oppurtunity to learn but also some working women have no choice with their busy schedule.i have heard from my relatives that putting kolam for them is a form of stress burster coz they totally get into it and once it is done the happiness they get fills their mind!!!!its a form of relaxation i guess!!!!
    luv
    pavi

4. Ashritha2008

Ashritha2008 New IL'ite

Dear Chithra mam...nice to read this post on significance of kolams...i'm so much reminded of the festivals and our times together in India...my mom used to put maa kolam ...we had a red flooring so the beautiful white kolam will really uplift our festive spirit and looked pretty...i very much want to follow the tradition here..but sadly living in aparment i cant be doing it as its carpeted too...am planning to get a wooden board and put kolams on them atleast in the puja room.

I enjoyed reading this post and it made me jog down my memorylane abt my childhood in Chennai. Your maakolam and the side kolam with flowers look pretty. Inspired me to have them at my home too...atleast in puja room.

love
    Ashriha

5. Chitvish

Dear Ashritha,
    I am glad, you are "digging" into my old posts!
    Maakolam heralds festivity & looks stunning in red cement flooring. If possible paint the wooden board red & draw kolams on it. The effect will be very good.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. priyankaa

priyankaa New IL'ite

very good explanation ....

thanx.....

7. sindhup

sindhup New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mami,

I am a new IL'ite, and I have been reading through several of your forums and posts. I am amazed at your wealth of knowledge, and by how freely you pass it on! God bless you and your family and shower you with health, happiness and prosperity.

I live in the US, and have a corner of my kitchen countertop as my puja area. On the countertop, I have a small 4''x4" black flooring tile in front of my "swamy padams" that I use to draw kolams on. I can draw maa kolams by mixing rice flour and water and they come out decent. I also use a variety of kolam thattus for podi kolam. But since I use rice flour for the podi kolam, I am not able to do freehand podi kolams - the flour is too fine. Is there something I can add to make it a little coarser?

8. Chitvish

Dear Sindhup,
    Just wipe rice with a wet cloth very well, powder in the mixie very well & sieve. It will not be very fine, but just a little "rough".
    Thanks for your nice words.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Re: To: Mrs C & Sudha

Dear Chits,

My mom was very artistic and would draw lovely "Maa Kolams" only during occasions as she was also working. I could never pick the art from her as I found it very hard to draw Kolams with "maa".

I have started drawing kolams everyday for the past 3 months and slowly have started graduating in it. Every day I smile at my own Kolams and appreciate it! (not with rice powder but Kolam powder).

My neighbours are teasing me saying, with each passing day, I am getting traditional.

I draw it right in the middle and have strictly warnmed my milk man, newspaper fellow, Gas fellow, watchman and all neighbours not to mess it up - rolling my eyes!

The guests at times do mess it up, but they get a small firing from me! I have started enjoying this new passion.

Thanks for sharing the significances.

I liked your Maa kolams very beautiful.

10. Chitvish

Dear Mals,
    Maa kolam has an unparalleled beauty!
    Now I draw maa kolam at the entrance ever thursday evening to welcome Lakshmi on Friday morning. Lest it be trampled upon, I draw on both sides to the entrance & keep fresh flowers everday.
    entrance-s.JPG
    As you write, I myself enjoy the beauty of it, everytime, I leave or enter the flat.
    It gives such a warm welcome to everybody who comes home.
    Perhaps you can shift to the sides of the entrance door than in the centre??:idea
    Love,
    Chithra